[Official] 2021 4th Generation Hyundai Tucson

Carbon82

1 hour ago, Cheefarn said:

I dunno about Motorimage, but for BM, until VERY recently, almost all Toyotas arrive in SG as an empty shell... yes seriously empty shell. 

This is what I saw and read at the PDI center,

- No air con! Yes even Camry came in without air con compressor nor blower. All these are installed locally. So if u think u got a brand new untouched car...  :D

- No leather. All leather seats are installed locally. Even if the brochure stated factory leather, they are still installed locally, perhaps with a better grade leather instead of just PVC surfaces. It is easy to spot locally fitted leather. The seats looks like overstuffed chairs and fitting is generally not very good. And if you see some cheezy printing on the seat backs that shouts out the model name (eg, Corolla), they are 101% local fitted. Real factory fitted items won't be so cheapskate looking.

- No alloy wheels. All came with steel wheels without covers. The PDI staff will remove the tires from the steel rims and then mounted on local installed alloy wheels. I understand BM don't do this anymore. I can only assume Toyota doesn't have 17-18in steel rims on hand. New Altis and Camry, Alphard, Rav4 etc all came in with real factory fitted wheels these days

- Head unit... this one is very obvious la.. BM would tell Toyota to specially del all factory fitted radio. So no matter how integrated Toyota engineers do to the HU, by the time the cars arrives SG, there will be a big 2DIN hole there. They can even do likewise to modern flat panel LCD touchscreen. U see how the Altis, CHR, Camry HU looks like in SG. We pay alot more to get alot less. This is the beauty of being a sinkie. 

very bad.. considering with higher OMV still contain so much locally fitted items.. 

Like that cannot imaging the subara come with how seriously empty shell.. may be all 4 wheels are using spare donut wheels? internal without seat ? same without air-con compressor?  headlamp  local fit ? motorised  side mirror also? fog light ?  soft touch on door panel locally paste on?
OMV different of 10K is a lot of stuff to do locally. 

i think you are right about this how MI going to manage it. 

↡ Advertisement

6 hours ago, Contipro said:

Forester weight slightly than Tuscon,

with horizontal oppose engine = double the cam shaft, double the VVT control module, double the knock sensor, double the cam sensor

AWD need more extra differential , extra drive shaft, extra connecting joint, extra control system for AWD, 

is incredible subaru can have such low OMV,  considering japanese labour is same as per others. 

Only possible to save the cost is focus on the hardware material. May be use cheap mild steel instead of AHSS like hyundai, 

imported the ready assemble part from china, or other 3rd world country. Assembly into car in Japan to raise its brand image. 

may be also less overhead cost.. 

i think above is only the possibility. to have low OMV 

Cannot be cheap mild steel...like that all the Subarus will crash like Geely CK and Chery QQ already.

And it is too expensive to do so for SG market only.

By the way, I noticed that my seatbelts are made in Thailand.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Atrecord said:

The new Tucson is really impressive - if it really delivers what is said during the world premiere 4 days ago:

The all-new Hyundai TUCSON World Premiere

It should beat all same-class competitors hands-down in terms of design, except the high-end conti models, in what is described as 'over-crowded' SUV segment.

But if it has all the promised features, will sure be not cheap - as i see Korean cars positioning themselves as increasingly ridiculously-priced. Maybe this is because i still remember the days when Korean cars were merely marginally pricier than protons or chery, but the reality is that they've now caught up - and maybe overtaken - the Japs in many aspects. As a result, they will feel that they have earned the right to price them above Jap competitors. Take Santa Fe's ~$160k pricing - i think it's out of touch. Worse, they were selling Starex MPV at 180k 5 yr ago. I would not pay even 140k for it.

At least Tucson is around 105-130k for the various models and when COE is up/down... so it's not too far off.

Time to bring Chery or Geely back again...Korean cars are getting too expensive in a short span of time.

If they sell it now at 65k for a 1.5L basic sedan I will consider buying it.

20200918_202348.jpg

20200918_202518.jpg

• Praise 2

On 9/16/2020 at 10:51 AM, Rickster said:

Marketing pictures always look super impressive and usually, much more impressive that what our local AD brings in...unfortunately.

agree.:a-good:

On 9/18/2020 at 2:46 PM, Cheefarn said:

I dunno about Motorimage, but for BM, until VERY recently, almost all Toyotas arrive in SG as an empty shell... yes seriously empty shell. 

This is what I saw and read at the PDI center,

- No air con! Yes even Camry came in without air con compressor nor blower. All these are installed locally. So if u think u got a brand new untouched car...  :D

- No leather. All leather seats are installed locally. Even if the brochure stated factory leather, they are still installed locally, perhaps with a better grade leather instead of just PVC surfaces. It is easy to spot locally fitted leather. The seats looks like overstuffed chairs and fitting is generally not very good. And if you see some cheezy printing on the seat backs that shouts out the model name (eg, Corolla), they are 101% local fitted. Real factory fitted items won't be so cheapskate looking.

- No alloy wheels. All came with steel wheels without covers. The PDI staff will remove the tires from the steel rims and then mounted on local installed alloy wheels. I understand BM don't do this anymore. I can only assume Toyota doesn't have 17-18in steel rims on hand. New Altis and Camry, Alphard, Rav4 etc all came in with real factory fitted wheels these days

- Head unit... this one is very obvious la.. BM would tell Toyota to specially del all factory fitted radio. So no matter how integrated Toyota engineers do to the HU, by the time the cars arrives SG, there will be a big 2DIN hole there. They can even do likewise to modern flat panel LCD touchscreen. U see how the Altis, CHR, Camry HU looks like in SG. We pay alot more to get alot less. This is the beauty of being a sinkie. 

Where did you get your information from?

Empty shell really means empty or is that just an exaggeration? You mean no steering system, suspension system, no meters, lights or sensors, no engine, no drive train, no seats, dashboard, meter cluster, etc?

Which means Borneo Motors assemble all the mechanical parts and safety features and does the QC to ensure everything is working as specified? So they're essentially acting as a car assembly plant? Not an authorized dealer? 2-3 weeks also not enough to finish up the car lor... I think the testing alone may take 2-3 weeks...

I think there are some features an authorized dealer can strip down and assemble locally. But the time factor and manpower as well as QC must be balanced against the cost savings and increase in sales based on a  lower OMV...

Stuff like the following I am quite prepared to accept:

1. Rims & tires

2. Wipers

3. Leather seats

4. Car battery

5. Head unit (with caveat)

6. Body kit

7. Parking sensors (with caveat

Some of the items listed are connected to a lot of sensors and displays which make it difficult to simply assemble and expect it to work... for example the reverse camera system that comes with dynamic line guidance integrated with the head unit plus wing mirrors and rear cross traffic alert sensor that is also tied to the blind spot monitor which in turn is tied to the indicators both on the meter cluster and the wing mirrors indicators...

I just wonder if the principal would allow Borneo Motors to assemble all that in Singapore...

• Praise 1

14 hours ago, teomingern said:

Where did you get your information from?

Empty shell really means empty or is that just an exaggeration? You mean no steering system, suspension system, no meters, lights or sensors, no engine, no drive train, no seats, dashboard, meter cluster, etc?

Which means Borneo Motors assemble all the mechanical parts and safety features and does the QC to ensure everything is working as specified? So they're essentially acting as a car assembly plant? Not an authorized dealer? 2-3 weeks also not enough to finish up the car lor... I think the testing alone may take 2-3 weeks...

I think there are some features an authorized dealer can strip down and assemble locally. But the time factor and manpower as well as QC must be balanced against the cost savings and increase in sales based on a  lower OMV...

Stuff like the following I am quite prepared to accept:

1. Rims & tires

2. Wipers

3. Leather seats

4. Car battery

5. Head unit (with caveat)

6. Body kit

7. Parking sensors (with caveat

Some of the items listed are connected to a lot of sensors and displays which make it difficult to simply assemble and expect it to work... for example the reverse camera system that comes with dynamic line guidance integrated with the head unit plus wing mirrors and rear cross traffic alert sensor that is also tied to the blind spot monitor which in turn is tied to the indicators both on the meter cluster and the wing mirrors indicators...

I just wonder if the principal would allow Borneo Motors to assemble all that in Singapore...

I was at their Pandan PDI center back in 2004 when I collected my then new Altis... I saw all these. 

Here is some reading materials for u.

https://www.carbuyer.com.sg/the-secret-journey-of-a-brand-new-car/ (note this article was created to diss the various PI in SG, so read it with a pinch of salt)

The reason given by BM why they locally install the HU is just laughable Other brands can have factory HU with the correct FM tuner from Japan.. Only BM's Toyota could't wor. Thai made models also don't have factory HU... yet Thailand uses the same FM band as ours... Hmmm... I wonder why....  :D

image.png.49e5e22a268951549973b03d939cce33.png

SO much for your virgin, untouched Toyota cabin....  LOL Your seats, door inserts, central console etc has all been dismantled locally before the car was handled to you yo. 

• Dislike 2

On 9/18/2020 at 4:05 PM, Atrecord said:

The new Tucson is really impressive - if it really delivers what is said during the world premiere 4 days ago:

The all-new Hyundai TUCSON World Premiere

It should beat all same-class competitors hands-down in terms of design, except the high-end conti models, in what is described as 'over-crowded' SUV segment.

But if it has all the promised features, will sure be not cheap - as i see Korean cars positioning themselves as increasingly ridiculously-priced. Maybe this is because i still remember the days when Korean cars were merely marginally pricier than protons or chery, but the reality is that they've now caught up - and maybe overtaken - the Japs in many aspects. As a result, they will feel that they have earned the right to price them above Jap competitors. Take Santa Fe's ~$160k pricing - i think it's out of touch. Worse, they were selling Starex MPV at 180k 5 yr ago. I would not pay even 140k for it.

At least Tucson is around 105-130k for the various models and when COE is up/down... so it's not too far off.

By the way, Hyundai and Kia full size SUV market is not Singapore. North America and Chinese market.

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

I was at their Pandan PDI center back in 2004 when I collected my then new Altis... I saw all these. 

https://www.carbuyer.com.sg/the-secret-journey-of-a-brand-new-car/ (note this article was created to diss the various PI in SG, so read it with a pinch of salt)

The reason given by BM why they locally install the HU is just laughable Other brands can have factory HU with the correct FM tuner from Japan.. Only BM's Toyota could't wor. Thai made models also don't have factory HU... yet Thailand uses the same FM band as ours... Hmmm... I wonder why....  :D

SO much for your virgin, untouched Toyota cabin....  LOL Your seats, door inserts, central console etc has all been dismantled locally before the car was handled to you yo. 

The link contains nothing new... nothing substantial installed pertaining to safety or mechanical or electronic at all...

If what you saw is what is listed in the article then that hardly qualifies as an empty shell...

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Twich said:

By the way, Hyundai and Kia full size SUV market is not Singapore. North America and Chinese market.

So only LHD I presume... not making it to Australia or UK or NZ either I suppose... pity...

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

Yr 2004 is long long ago bro.

I think that time all brands contained lot of local fitted items.

can help spy again all PDI so we all can have better understanding of current latest arrangements? TIA.

• Praise 2

14 hours ago, Contipro said:

Yr 2004 is long long ago bro.

I think that time all brands contained lot of local fitted items.

can help spy again all PDI so we all can have better understanding of current latest arrangements? TIA.

Well pls note the date of that article I've included. Was it that long ago?

Can... pls give me some money so that I can buy a new Camry from BM... then I can spy for you LOL :D

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Cheefarn said:

Well pls note the date of that article I've included. Was it that long ago?

Can... pls give me some money so that I can buy a new Camry from BM... then I can spy for you LOL :D

ok. please go ahead as per your prefer picking, and keep up the good work.. 

at same time please do explore other brands as well as you wish.. 

Edited by Contipro
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

@Cheefarn You have been given a warning for posting unverified information about Toyota and BM in multiple threads!

Some of the misinformation you have posted includes:

• Installation of leather seats locally. This is NOT true if the car come with built-in airbags on the passenger seats, as improperly fitted leather would affect the triggering and effectiveness of the airbag housed within the seats.
  • Duration between car collection and securing of COE is an indication of how much things have to be fitted locally. It is not just about PDI or installation of part locally (such as IU & HU), admin matter, bank loan, outstanding loan, registering with LTA, VRN retention, etc.
  • Alloy rims fitted locally. Not from the previous generation Altis, and Camry onwards. All cars come with different alloy rims for different trim. If you have any doubt, go and check out their new car storage zone at Pioneer Crescent.
  • Camry come without aircon compressor and blower. While I cannot be 100% sure that the compressor is factory fitted (in Thai), the blower is confirmed a standard item in a new car, as extensive wiring and control has already been integrated onto the center console.

Last but not least, you are no different from those who claim Nissan has high fuel consumption, VW DSG is problematic, Hyundai is not reliable and such, as your mind is set at 10 - 20 years back (you mentioned your Altis collection in 2004 and trying to use an article dated 2016 to prove your point without any direct relation to those misinformation you have made in the various posts).

• Praise 14
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

On 9/23/2020 at 12:28 PM, Carbon82 said:

@Cheefarn You have been given a warning for posting unverified information about Toyota and BM in multiple threads!

Some of the misinformation you have posted includes:

• Installation of leather seats locally. This is NOT true if the car come with built-in airbags on the passenger seats, as improperly fitted leather would affect the triggering and effectiveness of the airbag housed within the seats.
  • Duration between car collection and securing of COE is an indication of how much things have to be fitted locally. It is not just about PDI or installation of part locally (such as IU & HU), admin matter, bank loan, outstanding loan, registering with LTA, VRN retention, etc.
  • Alloy rims fitted locally. Not from the previous generation Altis, and Camry onwards. All cars come with different alloy rims for different trim. If you have any doubt, go and check out their new car storage zone at Pioneer Crescent.
  • Camry come without aircon compressor and blower. While I cannot be 100% sure that the compressor is factory fitted (in Thai), the blower is confirmed a standard item in a new car, as extensive wiring and control has already been integrated onto the center console.

Last but not least, you are no different from those who claim Nissan has high fuel consumption, VW DSG is problematic, Hyundai is not reliable and such, as your mind is set at 10 - 20 years back (you mentioned your Altis collection in 2004 and trying to use an article dated 2016 to prove your point without any direct relation to those misinformation you have made in the various posts).

Thanks for flagging this member before I did, lest I get accused by mods of picking on him. Haven't we had enough of his BS over the years?!? 

There are reasons why some things are locally fitted. Factory options come in packages. AD may not be able to spec a car to local needs without going the whole hog and getting all the packages and bumping up the OMV. Hence some selected items are brought in from factory and fitted locally. 

Also, what the AD is trying to do is to keep the OMV low in order to be competitive. It's not about us paying more and getting less. 

PDI time can be long because of the queuing process to get the car prepared. Dewaxing, polishing, checking, fixing minor issues, installing accessories, IU etc, all takes time and a big AD like BM has to process up to 1000 cars a month. Not like he is the only guy buying a Toyota.

People like him talk and talk and exaggerate  without understanding the real deal behind what they see. 

@Sugimoto Hope we are vindicated.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 2

6 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

There are reasons why some things are locally fitted. Factory options come in packages. AD may not be able to spec a car to local needs without going the whole hog and getting all the packages and bumping up the OMV. Hence some selected items are brought in from factory and fitted locally. 

Also, what the AD is trying to do is to keep the OMV low in order to be competitive. It's not about us paying more and getting less. 

I have a nuanced view of local installations. On balance, there are benefits such as keeping OMV low yet giving buyers more features, supporting local industry, etc. 

However, as mentioned earlier, I've come to realise that there could be a quality gap between local and factory installations for some parts/features. 

An obvious example would be the headunit/sidesteps/rims. A few years back, I was wondering why the head unit in the showroom was so different from the one I reading in the reviews. Later, I found out that the warranty terms for the head unit was different from that of the car as well !

Less obvious examples are 360 camera/parking sensors/parking systems/leather seats.  For me, leather seats could be an issue as well. For instance, I checked out the Civic 1.6L vs the Civic 1.5T a few years back, and there was an appreciable difference between the locally installed leather seats (1.6L) and the factory installed version. The local version was harder, and squeaked when you sat down in certain ways. I'll caveat to say I'm not sure if KM is still using the same vendor now. 

I personally have no issue with stuff like rims, parking sensors etc. But typically, I would like to know exactly which parts are locally installed so I can take an educated view (is quality ok, any diff in warranty, any diff in specs of the feature, etc) before I buy the car. Caveat emptor after all. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5