[Official] 2021 4th Generation Hyundai Tucson

Carbon82

5 hours ago, Hawshy said:

just got the pricing for TUCSON 1.6T hybrid sunroof - SGD $162,999, coming in 1-2 months time.

VES Banding is B - and fuel economy is 20.4km per litre.

At this price it is clearly going head to head with BM harrier hybrid.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
(edited)
On 7/23/2021 at 3:47 PM, Hawshy said:

just got the pricing for TUCSON 1.6T hybrid sunroof - SGD $162,999, coming in 1-2 months time.

VES Banding is B - and fuel economy is 20.4km per litre.

Sorry, just got corrected. The hybrid version is VES Band A2, and the 162,999 has already included the $15k VES rebate. 

But waiting LTA to pass the homologation inspection.

Edited by Hawshy

Oh man this is so tempting. Does anyone has the full features offered in the hybrid version? Aside from the smaller dimension, everything else on par with S trim?

Neutral Newbie
(edited)
20 hours ago, Gliazzurra said:

Oh man this is so tempting. Does anyone has the full features offered in the hybrid version? Aside from the smaller dimension, everything else on par with S trim?

@Gliazzurra 

Almost the same as S trim, the difference I think is those highlight in red.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-23 at 13.51.37.jpeg

Edited by Hawshy

23 hours ago, Hawshy said:

Sorry, just got corrected. The hybrid version is VES Band A2, and the 162,999 has already included the $15k VES rebate. 

But waiting LTA to pass the homologation inspection.

Really paying a premium for going "green" (Hybrid) even though got $15k VES rebate

• Sad 1

On 7/24/2021 at 11:29 PM, Gliazzurra said:

You mean the hybrid has a longer wheelbase? Or just outer dimensions?

(edited)
On 7/25/2021 at 9:55 PM, Bmxcar said:

Really paying a premium for going "green" (Hybrid) even though got $15k VES rebate

Never worth it... whatever 'green' credentials you'll never be efficient ever enough to recover the capital outlay... the hybrid power train won't save you $10,000 in petrol over 10 or more years of the car's lifespan unless you do crazy miles in it every day... 

For simplicity sake, say you pay a $12,000 premium over the 10-year lifespan of the car for a hybrid, so every year you pay an extra $1200. Each month you pay an extra $100. At today's rate of $2.50 per L of RON95, you have to save 40 L of petrol per month in order to break even the capital outlay... I don't know any hybrid that will save you 40 L of fuel each month... for my own car, I try so dang hard to drive gently, I see my mileage per tank (56 L) gives 600 km only... just slightly better than 10 km/L... even if the hybrid can give you the rated 20 km/L, for 600 km, you'll need 30 L, meaning you save 26 L... I pump 2x a month, so I save 52 L of fuel > the break even point... but this is if you get the rated fuel consumption which is impossible...

So to break even at 40 L savings, say I save 20 L per 600 km, so I must use only 36 L (56-20) for 600 km... meaning the average fuel consumption is 16.6 km/L... if you exclusively drive highway maybe you can get something close to this... but in reality, even my dad's diesel can't make 15 km/L even though he drives from east to west and back twice a week only... that's all he drives, and that's in the early hours of the morning (before 6 am) and returns during the mid afternoon lull around 3-4 pm... almost 90% highway...

As long as the math doesn't make economic sense, green cars aren't going to take off... I don't expect it to be cheaper to own but should not be more expensive...

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 5

12 minutes ago, teomingern said:

You mean the hybrid has a longer wheelbase? Or just outer dimensions?

It has a longer wheelbase

On 7/23/2021 at 4:18 PM, Hawshy said:

the comparison between hybrid and normal.

image.png

If I read correctly, hybrid is shorter wheelbase, and also shorter in length.

Neutral Newbie
4 hours ago, teomingern said:

Never worth it... whatever 'green' credentials you'll never be efficient ever enough to recover the capital outlay... the hybrid power train won't save you $10,000 in petrol over 10 or more years of the car's lifespan unless you do crazy miles in it every day... 

For simplicity sake, say you pay a $12,000 premium over the 10-year lifespan of the car for a hybrid, so every year you pay an extra $1200. Each month you pay an extra $100. At today's rate of $2.50 per L of RON95, you have to save 40 L of petrol per month in order to break even the capital outlay... I don't know any hybrid that will save you 40 L of fuel each month... for my own car, I try so dang hard to drive gently, I see my mileage per tank (56 L) gives 600 km only... just slightly better than 10 km/L... even if the hybrid can give you the rated 20 km/L, for 600 km, you'll need 30 L, meaning you save 26 L... I pump 2x a month, so I save 52 L of fuel > the break even point... but this is if you get the rated fuel consumption which is impossible...

So to break even at 40 L savings, say I save 20 L per 600 km, so I must use only 36 L (56-20) for 600 km... meaning the average fuel consumption is 16.6 km/L... if you exclusively drive highway maybe you can get something close to this... but in reality, even my dad's diesel can't make 15 km/L even though he drives from east to west and back twice a week only... that's all he drives, and that's in the early hours of the morning (before 6 am) and returns during the mid afternoon lull around 3-4 pm... almost 90% highway...

As long as the math doesn't make economic sense, green cars aren't going to take off... I don't expect it to be cheaper to own but should not be more expensive...

yes I also don't feel worth getting the hybrid version. Not sure if Govt will change to include CO2 in road tax in the future? 

36 minutes ago, Hawshy said:

yes I also don't feel worth getting the hybrid version. Not sure if Govt will change to include CO2 in road tax in the future? 

Already considered in the VES thing right? Doubt there will be double taxation...

15 hours ago, Gliazzurra said:

But hybrid version more powerful, pick up faster. Maybe need to test drive both to contrast before making decision.

My beef with hydrids is that there is no such thing as free power... it has to come from somewhere... for hybrids, the battery is charged by the engine so using more fuel but that's actually not measured... the assumption here is that the charging process is a lot more efficient than the ICE producing the same horsepower that the battery and motor combination gives... I often wonder if hybrids actually save fuel or not? The significant extra kerb weight alone would kill the efficiency... even if the regenerative process replenishes the battery somewhat, allow recovery of some energy expended to move the vehicle...

Because DC motor has higher torque as compare to ICE that is why it is more efficient to use DC motor to move off the car when it need more torque to overcome the initial. That is why a lot of hybrid car when moving off are using DC motor. Not only that, i believe when using DC motor to run the car, it has less moving mechanical part which less energy loss to friction and heat. So overall hybrid car is more energy efficient than ICE.

↡ Advertisement