[Official] 2021 4th Generation Hyundai Tucson

Carbon82

Oh no.... the center console look very busy and there is no physical buttons. It has been replaced by a touch panel. Aircon ducts could be placed at the side of the infotainment unit for a bigger screen. Can see either they try to save money by using the standard 10"/12" display or they need the ducts to shield and maintain its working temperature. 

↡ Advertisement

On 9/16/2020 at 10:06 PM, Brass said:

Forester also have +10k 

I think even Harrier also.

But then price is quite ok for both.

I always find forester pricing is consider low for a SUV as compared with others SUV, dont know what is the reason? Think there was one time forester price was around $105k.

23 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I always find forester pricing is consider low for a SUV as compared with others SUV, dont know what is the reason? Think there was one time forester price was around $105k.

Forester probably cost less to manufacture and hence the low omv as compared to similar sized SUV. And thus makes it the most appealing and most value for monies for a SUV.

The only downside is little use of soft touch materials in the cabin, otherwise its a very very very good valued SUV for its price point

1 hour ago, Spurman said:

Forester probably cost less to manufacture and hence the low omv as compared to similar sized SUV. And thus makes it the most appealing and most value for monies for a SUV.

The only downside is little use of soft touch materials in the cabin, otherwise its a very very very good valued SUV for its price point

for such a big car and MIJ, how can it be cheap to built.. ?

1 hour ago, Contipro said:

I dunno how its built. But i do know their omv quite low for its class only.

Kinda like some volvo cars with high specs but omv also low leh.

How?

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Contipro said:

Subaru and Nissan are both under the Tan Chong Group, and they are both very good at playing the OMV game. 

In short, as much as possible, they will bring in a bare bones unit to minimize OMV, then they will locally install whatever add-ons they think their customer will require. 

So when I was looking at the Forester a few years back, they brought in the version with the cheapest cloth seats and installed leather seats locally, the head unit was locally installed (hence no Android Auto/Carplay).  Also witnessed the same dynamic with Nissan Sylphy before that.  

Per article below, if leather seats add $2k to the OMV, cost would increase $4k because of ARF (for a high OMV car, ARF could be 180% of OMV), so to the degree that the quality of the local installation is comparable, it is a win-win situation because the buyer gets to buy the car at a lower price, and will get the same features due to cheaper local installation.

But caveat emptor because sometimes the local head unit provided is not of the right quality, perhaps the leather seats can be a bit squeaky etc.  

https://dollarsandsense.sg/no-nonsense-explanation-on-why-cars-in-singapore-are-so-expensive/#:~:text=%233 Excise Duty And GST,specific goods within a country.&text=The Excise Duty on cars,OMV and Excise Duty amount.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Spurman said:

I dunno how its built. But i do know their omv quite low for its class only.

Kinda like some volvo cars with high specs but omv also low leh.

How?

Forester weight slightly than Tuscon,

with horizontal oppose engine = double the cam shaft, double the VVT control module, double the knock sensor, double the cam sensor

AWD need more extra differential , extra drive shaft, extra connecting joint, extra control system for AWD, 

is incredible subaru can have such low OMV,  considering japanese labour is same as per others. 

Only possible to save the cost is focus on the hardware material. May be use cheap mild steel instead of AHSS like hyundai, 

imported the ready assemble part from china, or other 3rd world country. Assembly into car in Japan to raise its brand image. 

may be also less overhead cost.. 

i think above is only the possibility. to have low OMV 

8 minutes ago, fungyee77 said:

Subaru and Nissan are both under the Tan Chong Group, and they are both very good at playing the OMV game. 

In short, as much as possible, they will bring in a bare bones unit to minimize OMV, then they will locally install whatever add-ons they think their customer will require. 

So when I was looking at the Forester a few years back, they brought in the version with the cheapest cloth seats and installed leather seats locally, the head unit was locally installed (hence no Android Auto/Carplay).  Also witnessed the same dynamic with Nissan Sylphy before that.  

Per article below, if leather seats add $2k to the OMV, cost would increase $4k because of ARF (for a high OMV car, ARF could be 180% of OMV), so to the degree that the quality of the local installation is comparable, it is a win-win situation because the buyer gets to buy the car at a lower price, and will get the same features due to cheaper local installation.

But caveat emptor because sometimes the local head unit provided is not of the right quality, perhaps the leather seats can be a bit squeaky etc.  

https://dollarsandsense.sg/no-nonsense-explanation-on-why-cars-in-singapore-are-so-expensive/#:~:text=%233 Excise Duty And GST,specific goods within a country.&text=The Excise Duty on cars,OMV and Excise Duty amount.

may be lets take forester as study, what are the list of items can be locally assemble ? 

10 minutes ago, Contipro said:

may be lets take forester as study, what are the list of items can be locally assemble ? 

To be frank, I have not looked at it for some time, so am not sure the exact details for Forester.  

But generally, ADs can look at leather seats/head unit/rims/speakers/self folding mirrors/blind spot monitor/360 degree parking/reverse parking.  Even auto tailgate can be locally installed. 

Features can make quite a difference in cost.  For instance, if you look at the Mercedes GLB being sold by the PIs, all are 2WD 1.3L engines, but price range is from $148 to $190k depending of feature set, even from the same PI.

46 minutes ago, fungyee77 said:

To be frank, I have not looked at it for some time, so am not sure the exact details for Forester.  

But generally, ADs can look at leather seats/head unit/rims/speakers/self folding mirrors/blind spot monitor/360 degree parking/reverse parking.  Even auto tailgate can be locally installed. 

Features can make quite a difference in cost.  For instance, if you look at the Mercedes GLB being sold by the PIs, all are 2WD 1.3L engines, but price range is from $148 to $190k depending of feature set, even from the same PI.

like that the subaru shld declare made in Jappore (japan+singapore)..

• Haha! 1

28 minutes ago, fungyee77 said:

I dunno about Motorimage, but for BM, until VERY recently, almost all Toyotas arrive in SG as an empty shell... yes seriously empty shell. 

This is what I saw and read at the PDI center,

- No air con! Yes even Camry came in without air con compressor nor blower. All these are installed locally. So if u think u got a brand new untouched car...  :D

- No leather. All leather seats are installed locally. Even if the brochure stated factory leather, they are still installed locally, perhaps with a better grade leather instead of just PVC surfaces. It is easy to spot locally fitted leather. The seats looks like overstuffed chairs and fitting is generally not very good. And if you see some cheezy printing on the seat backs that shouts out the model name (eg, Corolla), they are 101% local fitted. Real factory fitted items won't be so cheapskate looking.

- No alloy wheels. All came with steel wheels without covers. The PDI staff will remove the tires from the steel rims and then mounted on local installed alloy wheels. I understand BM don't do this anymore. I can only assume Toyota doesn't have 17-18in steel rims on hand. New Altis and Camry, Alphard, Rav4 etc all came in with real factory fitted wheels these days

- Head unit... this one is very obvious la.. BM would tell Toyota to specially del all factory fitted radio. So no matter how integrated Toyota engineers do to the HU, by the time the cars arrives SG, there will be a big 2DIN hole there. They can even do likewise to modern flat panel LCD touchscreen. U see how the Altis, CHR, Camry HU looks like in SG. We pay alot more to get alot less. This is the beauty of being a sinkie. 

• Praise 3
  • Dislike 1
  • Shocked 3

9 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

I dunno about Motorimage, but for BM, until VERY recently, almost all Toyotas arrive in SG as an empty shell... yes seriously empty shell. 

Wow didn't know BM does this as well... 

Sorry off topic.  Anyways, back to the Tucson.

It looks a class above its competitor set in photos - here's hoping KM does not engage in the OMV shenanigans, and brings in a version with decent factory direct installations for the key features !  

44 minutes ago, fungyee77 said:

Sorry off topic.  Anyways, back to the Tucson.

It looks a class above its competitor set in photos - here's hoping KM does not engage in the OMV shenanigans, and brings in a version with decent factory direct installations for the key features !  

I understand that sometimes the time taken by the AD to prep your car after you got your COE can be a good indication how much locally fitted stuff are there in your car.

If they said they need 2 to 3 weeks of prep time, it is very likely you car will be retro fitted with alot of locally fitted parts 

• Praise 1

The new Tucson is really impressive - if it really delivers what is said during the world premiere 4 days ago:

The all-new Hyundai TUCSON World Premiere

It should beat all same-class competitors hands-down in terms of design, except the high-end conti models, in what is described as 'over-crowded' SUV segment.

But if it has all the promised features, will sure be not cheap - as i see Korean cars positioning themselves as increasingly ridiculously-priced. Maybe this is because i still remember the days when Korean cars were merely marginally pricier than protons or chery, but the reality is that they've now caught up - and maybe overtaken - the Japs in many aspects. As a result, they will feel that they have earned the right to price them above Jap competitors. Take Santa Fe's ~$160k pricing - i think it's out of touch. Worse, they were selling Starex MPV at 180k 5 yr ago. I would not pay even 140k for it.

At least Tucson is around 105-130k for the various models and when COE is up/down... so it's not too far off.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1