[Official] 2021 4th Generation Hyundai Tucson

Carbon82

6 hours ago, fungyee77 said:

I have a nuanced view of local installations. On balance, there are benefits such as keeping OMV low yet giving buyers more features, supporting local industry, etc. 

However, as mentioned earlier, I've come to realise that there could be a quality gap between local and factory installations for some parts/features. 

An obvious example would be the headunit/sidesteps/rims. A few years back, I was wondering why the head unit in the showroom was so different from the one I reading in the reviews. Later, I found out that the warranty terms for the head unit was different from that of the car as well !

Less obvious examples are 360 camera/parking sensors/parking systems/leather seats.  For me, leather seats could be an issue as well. For instance, I checked out the Civic 1.6L vs the Civic 1.5T a few years back, and there was an appreciable difference between the locally installed leather seats (1.6L) and the factory installed version. The local version was harder, and squeaked when you sat down in certain ways. I'll caveat to say I'm not sure if KM is still using the same vendor now. 

I personally have no issue with stuff like rims, parking sensors etc. But typically, I would like to know exactly which parts are locally installed so I can take an educated view (is quality ok, any diff in warranty, any diff in specs of the feature, etc) before I buy the car. Caveat emptor after all. 

I suppose you get what you pay for... no such thing as a free lunch... ADs are also dependent on how their principal wants to chart the direction for the brand... like Mazda, as they shift towards more premium image, the price has to rise inevitably... the principal can help with pricing for only so long... the rest they have to depend on their marketing boffins to convince people to pay more...

That's also probably why tweener brands like Seat, Skoda, Opel, Chevrolet, etc had to go through many ADs find their right level in our very tiny and competitive market... consumers here can visit many showrooms within one afternoon to compare prices; this is really quite different from other countries where the dealers could be hundreds of miles apart or even in the next state... 

Edited by teomingern
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supercharged
On 9/26/2020 at 6:54 AM, fungyee77 said:

I have a nuanced view of local installations. On balance, there are benefits such as keeping OMV low yet giving buyers more features, supporting local industry, etc. 

However, as mentioned earlier, I've come to realise that there could be a quality gap between local and factory installations for some parts/features. 

An obvious example would be the headunit/sidesteps/rims. A few years back, I was wondering why the head unit in the showroom was so different from the one I reading in the reviews. Later, I found out that the warranty terms for the head unit was different from that of the car as well !

Less obvious examples are 360 camera/parking sensors/parking systems/leather seats.  For me, leather seats could be an issue as well. For instance, I checked out the Civic 1.6L vs the Civic 1.5T a few years back, and there was an appreciable difference between the locally installed leather seats (1.6L) and the factory installed version. The local version was harder, and squeaked when you sat down in certain ways. I'll caveat to say I'm not sure if KM is still using the same vendor now. 

I personally have no issue with stuff like rims, parking sensors etc. But typically, I would like to know exactly which parts are locally installed so I can take an educated view (is quality ok, any diff in warranty, any diff in specs of the feature, etc) before I buy the car. Caveat emptor after all. 

Yah, even today for most BnB cars, the leather, parking sensors and sometimes HU are locally fitted. Esp Toyota.

Usually no issue because cars can be disassembled quite easily and safely in the hands of experienced crew.

For air-con compressor, maybe in the 80s, 90s they are separately assembled locally (note that in the 80s, my family car did not come by default with aircon; we had to do after-market installation); however I believe for last few decades, these integrated system components are already factory installed for all imported cars.

For sports rims, I think there is a mix of local and factory, I am actually inclined to think most of the rims even for low end models are factory supplied already as the cost of aluminum wheels are now very low and less reason for dealer to import the bare steel rims and still have to buy and supply local rims to replace.

For Subaru, I have heard slightly different story from an ex-Subaru owner. He claims that because Tan Chong has certain level of assembly capabilities for Subaru (Tan Chong helps operates some Subaru plants in region), they can import very bare vehicles (which OMV is based on) and do final assembly of more things locally. Again these are un-verified urban legends and personally I have only heard good things about the Subarus sold here in SG, so definitely no issue on quality or fit.

• Praise 3

10 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

Yah, even today for most BnB cars, the leather, parking sensors and sometimes HU are locally fitted. Esp Toyota.

Usually no issue because cars can be disassembled quite easily and safely in the hands of experienced crew.

For air-con compressor, maybe in the 80s, 90s they are separately assembled locally (note that in the 80s, my family car did not come by default with aircon; we had to do after-market installation); however I believe for last few decades, these integrated system components are already factory installed for all imported cars.

For sports rims, I think there is a mix of local and factory, I am actually inclined to think most of the rims even for low end models are factory supplied already as the cost of aluminum wheels are now very low and less reason for dealer to import the bare steel rims and still have to buy and supply local rims to replace.

For Subaru, I have heard slightly different story from an ex-Subaru owner. He claims that because Tan Chong has certain level of assembly capabilities for Subaru (Tan Chong helps operates some Subaru plants in region), they can import very bare vehicles (which OMV is based on) and do final assembly of more things locally. Again these are un-verified urban legends and personally I have only heard good things about the Subarus sold here in SG, so definitely no issue on quality or fit.

Now mostly fully imported for SG, except locally fitted leather for some models , some still factory fitted, and headunit for some models, otherwise, car comes in mostly ready to go.

PS I'm an ex Subaru owner too

• Praise 3

6 hours ago, SiLangKia said:

Now mostly fully imported for SG, except locally fitted leather for some models , some still factory fitted, and headunit for some models, otherwise, car comes in mostly ready to go.

PS I'm an ex Subaru owner too

Yes, Subaru has improved a lot in this regards. 

Have to give them credit for bringing in factory installed Eyesight in their recent models. They are a frontrunner in bringing in active safety features to mass market cars.  

• Praise 3

On 9/18/2020 at 2:46 PM, Cheefarn said:

I dunno about Motorimage, but for BM, until VERY recently, almost all Toyotas arrive in SG as an empty shell... yes seriously empty shell. 

This is what I saw and read at the PDI center,

- No air con! Yes even Camry came in without air con compressor nor blower. All these are installed locally. So if u think u got a brand new untouched car...  :D

- No leather. All leather seats are installed locally. Even if the brochure stated factory leather, they are still installed locally, perhaps with a better grade leather instead of just PVC surfaces. It is easy to spot locally fitted leather. The seats looks like overstuffed chairs and fitting is generally not very good. And if you see some cheezy printing on the seat backs that shouts out the model name (eg, Corolla), they are 101% local fitted. Real factory fitted items won't be so cheapskate looking.

- No alloy wheels. All came with steel wheels without covers. The PDI staff will remove the tires from the steel rims and then mounted on local installed alloy wheels. I understand BM don't do this anymore. I can only assume Toyota doesn't have 17-18in steel rims on hand. New Altis and Camry, Alphard, Rav4 etc all came in with real factory fitted wheels these days

- Head unit... this one is very obvious la.. BM would tell Toyota to specially del all factory fitted radio. So no matter how integrated Toyota engineers do to the HU, by the time the cars arrives SG, there will be a big 2DIN hole there. They can even do likewise to modern flat panel LCD touchscreen. U see how the Altis, CHR, Camry HU looks like in SG. We pay alot more to get alot less. This is the beauty of being a sinkie. 

You sure you saw these recently? Have you not seen truck load of brand new Altis and Camry leaving PSA wharves with factory-fitted rims and leather seats? I often see them around Pasir Panjang area, maybe you will like to drive around that area to see it for yourself. Sorry but your comments were so outdated.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

On 10/2/2020 at 8:48 AM, SGCM928 said:

You sure you saw these recently? Have you not seen truck load of brand new Altis and Camry leaving PSA wharves with factory-fitted rims and leather seats? I often see them around Pasir Panjang area, maybe you will like to drive around that area to see it for yourself. Sorry but your comments were so outdated.

Yeah, recent toyota models like yaris cross's head unit is factory fit with AA and CarPlay.

received a whatsapp from SE

Introduction on 2022 All-New Tucson (NX4)
- 180bhp/ 265nm 
- 8.8s (0-100km)
- 539litres of boot space
- 14.9km per litre fuel consumption 
- VES NEUTRAL
- LONG wheelbase of 2755mm

*Arriving End May 2021*

Pre Launch Booking Available Now
1.6 Turbo Sunroof : $144,999
1.6 Turbo S Sunroof : $149,999

Edited by Whatchamacallit
  • Praise 1

4 hours ago, Whatchamacallit said:

received a whatsapp from SE

Introduction on 2022 All-New Tucson (NX4)
- 180bhp/ 265nm 
- 8.8s (0-100km)
- 539litres of boot space
- 14.9km per litre fuel consumption 
- VES NEUTRAL
- LONG wheelbase of 2755mm

*Arriving End May 2021*

Pre Launch Booking Available Now
1.6 Turbo Sunroof : $144,999
1.6 Turbo S Sunroof : $149,999

sounds like quite a jump in pricing from the outgoing version, particularly considering the outgoing model had a VES surcharge iirc whereas this one is now neutral

• Praise 2

Definitely need to check whether Komoco brings in the model with all the bell and whistle or not. If not, the price is quite hard to 'swallow'. Even some of the European competitor cost lesser.

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, bonjin said:

sounds like quite a jump in pricing from the outgoing version, particularly considering the outgoing model had a VES surcharge iirc whereas this one is now neutral

I am wondering why both are using the some engine but one is having VES surcharge and one is not? is the newer comes as mild hybrid?

17 minutes ago, Acegabz said:

Quite a disappointment in terms of the pricing. Heard it was going to be 140k+ but did not expect closer to 150k...

indeed - i shudder to think what price they would put on their ioniq 5 when it comes!

33 minutes ago, Acegabz said:

Quite a disappointment in terms of the pricing. Heard it was going to be 140k+ but did not expect closer to 150k...

Maybe the spec and features worth the pricing of $150k? Lol.

2 hours ago, 13177 said:

Maybe the spec and features worth the pricing of $150k? Lol.

Even if they all in the specs. I think it's still quite hefty. Unless it's the turbo hybrid then maybe 150k makes sense.

↡ Advertisement