What To Look Out For When Collecting New Car

Calvin8808

Hi Guys,

What are the things to look for when collecting new car?

What are your practices? Do you have a checklist?

What are the things you pay particular attention to?

And lastly what's the mileage expected on your brand new car upon collection?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator
47 minutes ago, Calvin8808 said:

Hi Guys,

Usually, your salesman will walk you thur. there will be minimum mileage like less than 100km clocked one. Sometimes they will drive the car to get things done like upholstery or camera.

Mainly you can check is paintwork and interior, Just do a visual check for anything anot. If you are really familar with the specs of the car, you can go thur one by one also.

Just do a quick visual check, interior and exterior. Whatever your SE say will be included or given to you, be sure it's there. 

If the car comes installed with dashcam, things like wiring, plastic trim are properly in place, not loose or whatever. When I went with my bro to collect his new car the rear pillar plastic trim was like dangling. The SE and my bro didnt even notice it. Sometimes it's good to bring along another pair of eyes.

Make sure IU is working. This wan no choice have to be sure it's properly wired and working.

If other things like features or functions you found later not working you can always highlight during the first servicing at 1K km. Dont really have to so thorough when collecting the car. They also require time to get it fixed. Can always fix at a later date.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

3 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Just do a quick visual check, interior and exterior. Whatever your SE say will be included or given to you, be sure it's there. 

If the car comes installed with dashcam, things like wiring, plastic trim are properly in place, not loose or whatever. When I went with my bro to collect his new car the rear pillar plastic trim was like dangling. The SE and my bro didnt even notice it. Sometimes it's good to bring along another pair of eyes.

Make sure IU is working. This wan no choice have to be sure it's properly wired and working.

If other things like features or functions you found later not working you can always highlight during the first servicing at 1K km. Dont really have to so thorough when collecting the car. They also require time to get it fixed. Can always fix at a later date.

Thanks, good point on the wiring of dashcam

32 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Usually, your salesman will walk you thur. there will be minimum mileage like less than 100km clocked one. Sometimes they will drive the car to get things done like upholstery or camera.

Mainly you can check is paintwork and interior, Just do a visual check for anything anot. If you are really familar with the specs of the car, you can go thur one by one also.

Thanks

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Calvin8808 said:

Hi Guys,

The most important thing is how to operate your new car. Check all round for any scratches. There should be a minimum of petrol and salesman should give you a cashcard of minimum $20. Test the front and back dashcam and how to retrieve the recording. If got apple carplay, test out with your phone and make sure it work. Then should drive one round with the salesman inside to familiar with the car. Also how to open the bonnet. Lastly, any free gifts to take. 

5 minutes ago, BobbyTan_74287 said:

The most important thing is how to operate your new car. Check all round for any scratches. There should be a minimum of petrol and salesman should give you a cashcard of minimum $20. Test the front and back dashcam and how to retrieve the recording. If got apple carplay, test out with your phone and make sure it work. Then should drive one round with the salesman inside to familiar with the car. Also how to open the bonnet. Lastly, any free gifts to take. 

Noted with thanks!

I hate checking for scratches though.

Not very good at this. Always worry about missing something out 

Can check exterior for any visible scratches or dents, interior also have any scratches.

Lastly make sure they honour any defects if you go back and found any.

Check everything is there.  This was in 2009.

My first avante was Opc.  So I asked for a reverse sensor and of cos the $20 coupon.  On the day I collected it. He smiled at me and I said where is my $20 coupon.  He had to give.  Act blur.  Then realised the reverse sensor was not installed.

I asked him and he said can I come back a few days later to install it? I :D and said and the $20 coupon?  He agreed to pay me the $20 since I had to buy the physical coupon and use it first.

Yea, sometimes my money hard to earn :D

• Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Calvin8808 said:

Wow nice,

You did this on your own?

No.. Lol..
But I added whatever I can think of to an existing list.
The original list is in Mz 6 thread.

19 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Check everything is there.  This was in 2009.

My first avante was Opc.  So I asked for a reverse sensor and of cos the $20 coupon.  On the day I collected it. He smiled at me and I said where is my $20 coupon.  He had to give.  Act blur.  Then realised the reverse sensor was not installed.

I asked him and he said can I come back a few days later to install it? I :D and said and the $20 coupon?  He agreed to pay me the $20 since I had to buy the physical coupon and use it first.

Yea, sometimes my money hard to earn :D

Your money indeed very hard to earn la, you see Kah Motor until now also havent earn from you?! [sweatdrop] [laugh]

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Before driving off with your new car, check the fuel tank indicator ....[sly]

Most AD only give 1/4 or less of fuel. Don't happy happy go rounding with new car and stuck in highway with empty fuel ...  :sick:

Usually the first thing to do after collected your new car and drive off is to go to the nearest petrol station to top full tank lo. Lol. Actually even buy used car also same, as used car fuel tank indicator even lesser than new car. 

Edited by 13177
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1