Walking around Singapore 115km in 3 days

CremornePt

36 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

This is a great video.

Yep, it's very well made - he captures so many different and poignant aspects (big & small) of Singapore on his walk. I plan to watch this again some day in the future.

The pace of development on this island is really astounding. (good or bad?) I didn't even know they'd already cleared the cemeteries out at Lim Chu Kang.

The area around Kranji Way is going through rapid development as well - I went for a drive up there a month ago & I could hardly recognize it.

Remember end of Punggol Road? Five years ago it was this 1950's style remote country road - all gone, one big building site now.

Edited by CremornePt
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

2 minutes ago, CremornePt said:

Yep, it's very well made - he captures so many different and poignant aspects (big & small) of Singapore on his walk. I plan to watch this again some day in the future.

The pace of development on this island is really astounding. (good or bad?) I didn't even know they'd already cleared the cemeteries out at Lim Chu Kang.

The area around Kranji Way is going through rapid development as well - I went for a drive up there a month ago & I could hardly recognize it.

Yeah. Our tiny island is changing at a rapid pace. Even for the smaller islands surrounding our waters have changed so much. I remember visiting some of the islands when I was very young. It's no longer recognizable now. They are so beautiful now.

• Praise 5

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Yeah. Our tiny island is changing at a rapid pace. Even for the smaller islands surrounding our waters have changed so much. I remember visiting some of the islands when I was very young. It's no longer recognizable now. They are so beautiful now.

So now Pulau Sudong no more use as live firing area??

Was there once for company living firing. The night live firing with target on the sea and all the tracing round out was like a firework.

The water there was the cleanest that I had seen for Singapore. 

7 hours ago, CremornePt said:

Remember end of Punggol Road? Five years ago it was this 1950's style remote country road - all gone, one big building site now.

now u mentioned it

Punggol Road end and its seafood restaurants were such a luxury back then

and yah, couple of years back were still a remote place

http://remembersingapore.org/2018/09/30/old-punggol-road-26-tracks/

the bicycle track and PCN is well constructed, but I still prefer the older look

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, Weez911 said:

I can think of many ways to spend 18 months, but walking across Russia is not one. 🏳️

Don't have the passion nor the time to do it. [;)]

Have walked too much in army, right @Inlinefour:a-toast:

Our 72km no horse run

But we walked with honour and glory

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Inlinefour said:

Our 72km no horse run

But we walked with honour and glory

Bro how long did your company take for the 72k? Ours 18h (we walked in jungle hat though, with the helmet strapped outside the fullpack). I heard from our OC the record was 16h. Some companies took more than 20+h.

Luckily the pace was not fast march kind of pace, and there were breaks in between, if not really will cui, and I won't be typing here today. 

I have some sniper friends who did it twice. I also heard my CSM do until sian liao. Nb sb shag.

Edited by Weez911

47 minutes ago, Tohto said:

So many commando here.

I think there are courses that do the 72k march also. Sniper is one. Maybe scout also?

My sniper friend told me their route is different. Ours was 4 times up and down changi and east coast.

Edited by Weez911

2 hours ago, Scion said:

now u mentioned it

Punggol Road end and its seafood restaurants were such a luxury back then

and yah, couple of years back were still a remote place

http://remembersingapore.org/2018/09/30/old-punggol-road-26-tracks/

the bicycle track and PCN is well constructed, but I still prefer the older look

Are you referring to the old marina club at the dead end? Gone?

28 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Bro how long did your company take for the 72k? Ours 18h (we walked in jungle hat though, with the helmet strapped outside the fullpack). I heard from our OC the record was 16h. Some companies took more than 20+h.

Luckily the pace was not fast march kind of pace, and there were breaks in between, if not really will cui, and I won't be typing here today. 

I have some sniper friends who did it twice. I also heard my CSM do until sian liao. Nb sb shag.

can't recall actual timing but our coy did 73.5km confirm

Full battle order too...today I climbed 4 storeys...taboleh tahan liao 🤣🤣🤣

@Carbon82 you remember bo?

Me dementia already 😬😬😬

Edited by Inlinefour
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

On 9/20/2020 at 9:53 PM, sake said:

i was never a fast runner, did my Std Chartered marathons in about 4hrs 30 mins.

Me too...but it'd be 4 days and 30 mins for me... 

• Haha! 4

13 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

can't recall actual timing but our coy did 73.5km confirm

Full battle order too...today I climbed 4 storeys...taboleh tahan liao 🤣🤣🤣

@Carbon82 you remember bo?

Me dementia already 😬😬😬

Do extra 1.5km for the pti in the sky ah? Or just tekan?

I didn't know @Carbon82is your company mate! 😅

Never jog to keep fit?

Edited by Weez911
  • Haha! 2

On 9/20/2020 at 7:34 PM, Ender said:

Everyone peak when they were younger..lol.. I find myself peaking at my older age. I guess I have a low bar when I was younger, coz barely passed my 2.4km in the army.

I peak when I was younger as well. Now I pig...eat merry sleep (repeat) 

• Haha! 4

26 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Do extra 1.5km for the pti in the sky ah? Or just tekan?

I didn't know @Carbon82is your company mate! 😅

Never jog to keep fit?

we walked to old camp cum hospital instead of back old pier 

tekan lor cos last chance to do it 🤣🤣🤣

carbon is my platoon mate ... 

if my sweetie sergeant pal ask me... I will jog with her 😍😍😍

Edited by Inlinefour
  • Haha! 4

18 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

we walked to old camp cum hospital instead of back old pier 

tekan lor cos last chance to do it 🤣🤣🤣

carbon is my platoon mate ... 

if my sweetie sergeant pal ask me... I will jog with her 😍😍😍

Swee.

The memories of the old hospital still give me the creeps. I don't know which was worse, that hospital or the old buildings up the slope. I'm glad they have been converted to other uses.

How was @Carbon82 last time? 2.4 leopard crawl can do low 8 that type? 🏃‍♂️

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Kopites said:

Are you referring to the old marina club at the dead end? Gone?

Old Punggol end is exactly the current jetty and police post there. The previously very popular Choon Seng seafood resturant and a few others.

In the 80s,  I was there once at Choon Seng seafood restaurant  with family.  LKY also visited there for dinner.

GhK2Qm70qN0OOYHONF7k7PVC7zFF-aTzJLEVrvJ9njA.jpg

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 6

15 hours ago, Mustank said:

Long distance running is very lonely one 

:grin:

Hide contents

forrest gump did crossed my mind when my knee cap was hurting.

Keep on going ...going..surely the finishing line will come.

😄

• Praise 1

Wah lau, I wanna to keep low profile leh...

@Inlinefour your memory is indeed failing, we actually did close to 76Km, as there was a screw up with safety rover's route between Buangkok and Hougang, which clocked an extra 2+km, than follow by the old camp and former Changi Hospital detour... But we still did it in about 20 hours (with around 70+ men in our coy completing the whole road march - without taking the 3 tonner along the way, and I am proud to be one of them).

I vividly remember clawing back to our bunk after the whole march, and don't even have the energy to book out (especially when both feet are full of blisters, no thanks to the sudden downpour when we were already back in the East)... A very memorable experience that will follow me to the grave (or rather the furnace). And you still remember that Josephine in the chief clerk office? When she was around, the whole coy really can chiong :D:D

@Weez911 I am not afraid to share that my physical fitness is under par, and the weakest link is 2.4Km. 还是别提了。。。

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9