Simple home DIY repairs

Lala81

Hi guys. 

Our home handyman adventures are sorta scattered all round the place in different threads. Maybe can lump here under something like makan thread. 

Don't think this belongs to plumber thread. So I start this off. 

My 555 ss water container. The lid handle fell off. Would an epoxy work? Any recommended brands? Funny thing is if it's epoxyed on originally. How come got that 3 contact points? 

20200922_211827_compress49.thumb.jpg.6b9ad944499c6e6c58503d0fd5c6b495.jpg

20200922_211845_compress91.thumb.jpg.5ceec9401de2251f1b2de231a73fe337.jpg

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Yeah, looks like a spot weld. Not easy to fix for home diyers.

I had one cheap Ikea pot handle broke off. It was also spot weld. I managed to drill a hole and put a screw/nut through. Although it's flimsy now, the handle tends to twist.

If you want to epoxy, you can try those 5-min. 2-part type. But the problem is you need to find some sort of clamp to hold the parts together, and let it dry and cured for 24 hours. Then it will be rock solid and won't come off.

• Praise 3

from google

Food Grade Adhesives by Permabond
Permabond food grade adhesives cure to a rigid solid which is non-porous for ease of cleaning, and are FDA compliant to FDA CFR 175.105 & 175.300. These epoxy adhesives offer excellent resistance to water, food, cleaning fluids and heat.

i never use it before, if cannot work,  dont blame me blame google 😀

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Looks like spot weld. Best way is drill a hole through and secure with a screw.  If want use 2 part epoxy, use a punch and make a few dents on both surfaces and sand the surfaces as well before applying the epoxy. But personally I wun bother with adhesive unless you are looking at temporary fix.

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Hi guys. 

Our home handyman adventures are sorta scattered all round the place in different threads. Maybe can lump here under something like makan thread. 

My 555 ss water container. The lid handle fell off. Would an epoxy work? Any recommended brands? Funny thing is if it's epoxyed on originally. How come got that 3 contact points? 

Hmmmm ....... I thought you are doing what I am about to do, rewire my home.  Beside changing all the wire, also add IoT then connect to Amazon Cloud or Azure with telemetry electricity and water usage.  Maybe a safe place for charging Li of phone and notebook.  

Anyway, I also do inspection of pots and pans periodically, like handle of pot with spot welding tends to break......Just image you are carrying a pot of hot soup and the handle GIVE WAY ...... don't know how many degree burn ...... NOT University Degree hor.

So spot welding best ...... I don't agree to use epoxy or kum ..... like cannot leh.  I generally throw ...... 555 is good, but I will throw.  I use Zebra one .....

• Praise 2

10 minutes ago, Apple-Tree said:

Hmmmm ....... I thought you are doing what I am about to do, rewire my home.  Beside changing all the wire, also add IoT then connect to Amazon Cloud or Azure with telemetry electricity and water usage.  Maybe a safe place for charging Li of phone and notebook.  

Anyway, I also do inspection of pots and pans periodically, like handle of pot with spot welding tends to break......Just image you are carrying a pot of hot soup and the handle GIVE WAY ...... don't know how many degree burn ...... NOT University Degree hor.

So spot welding best ...... I don't agree to use epoxy or kum ..... like cannot leh.  I generally throw ...... 555 is good, but I will throw.  I use Zebra one .....

Zebra quality is significantly better than 555.

Now there are cheaper and worse off China brands, so 555 (itself an old China brand) seems like good stuff now.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Can use your new cordless drill to drill a hole thru the spot weld area. And a smaller hole suitable for the size of a self tapping wood screw on the handle.  Your handle is plastic right?

5 hours ago, Ender said:

Can use your new cordless drill to drill a hole thru the spot weld area. And a smaller hole suitable for the size of a self tapping wood screw on the handle.  Your handle is plastic right?

I have two. The one that isn't broken is plastic. This one is metal. 

6 hours ago, Ender said:

Hmm I guess can consider. Will look into it. 

9 hours ago, Apple-Tree said:

Hmmmm ....... I thought you are doing what I am about to do, rewire my home.  Beside changing all the wire, also add IoT then connect to Amazon Cloud or Azure with telemetry electricity and water usage.  Maybe a safe place for charging Li of phone and notebook

You going to get WiFi sockets/switches for your lights?Otherwise not much point for electrical outlets.

10 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Looks like spot weld. Best way is drill a hole through and secure with a screw.  If want use 2 part epoxy, use a punch and make a few dents on both surfaces and sand the surfaces as well before applying the epoxy. But personally I wun bother with adhesive unless you are looking at temporary fix.

Must use stainless steel screws, if not, rust will be part of your meal in time to come.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

45 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Hmm I guess can consider. Will look into it. 

You need drill bit for metal.

Don't just use any drill bit you have. The typical common drill bits are for concrete (arrow head) or wood

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
11 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Hi guys. 

Can use epoxy!

https://www.hunker.com/12613838/how-to-bond-metal-to-metal-without-soldering

15212.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

my suggestion is to buy a new bakelite pot handle with stainless steel screw. drill a hole in the cover and put it on. forget about epoxy, wont last. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2