Simple home DIY repairs

Lala81

10 hours ago, Apple-Tree said:

Oh ...... generally, I would not use technologies like WiFi for permanent fixture lor.  It is because these type of technologies tends to change quickly.  I already have a CHEAP Xiaomi Gateway for IoT like Temperature and Humidity, Doors and Windows Security, planning to add sensor for Plant water and light sensor and PM2.5 sensor.  AWESOME.

What I am talking about previously is measuring current using a simple current transformer, feed to a SIMPLE Computer like raspberry pi or something and off it go to the cloud lor.  Together with voltage I can monitor PF la, kWh la then hor use some analytics to correlate with WEATHER .....ya ....

If I too busy, then shelve it lor by disconnecting from the DB box lor.  OR don't implement it at all.  It depend on WFH till when lor.  My company confirm at LEAST WFH until end of the year lor.

lol ok. I'm looking at functionality for the average home-owner. Home automation and home security is the most relevant. 

All these stuff u are describing, are for the tinkers/serious smart home enthusiast. 

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

10 hours ago, Kb27 said:

I haven't tried one of these for ceramic and glass. There's also a diamond tipped hole borer I think.

Right now, I just use the SDS bit and blast through the tile and wall.

yup. SDS with rotary hammer is the best. takes seconds to make a hole.

• Praise 1

get a sharp drill bit, self taping screw (stainless screw) drill tiny hole at both sides and screw it up is good enough for a long time.

• Praise 2

My suggestion is to drill a hole on the knob and another hole on the cover (marked at the same position. can be in the middle of the 3 spot weld marks) and then rivet it!

On 9/22/2020 at 10:22 PM, Stratovarius said:

Looks like spot weld. Best way is drill a hole through and secure with a screw.  If want use 2 part epoxy, use a punch and make a few dents on both surfaces and sand the surfaces as well before applying the epoxy. But personally I wun bother with adhesive unless you are looking at temporary fix.

Drill bits for stainless steel are those of cobalt, titanium or other harder  materials, normal drill bits would not work on stainless steel. The drilling speed has to be slow as well, otherwise when the steel gets heated up, the steel will becomes very hard and makes drilling more challenging .  

• Praise 4

2 hours ago, Sunlight said:

anybody knows how to clear clogged kitchen sink? i think my sink is clogging up

You need to clear the waste trap below the sink hole:

Unscrew the bottom part that looks like a bullet. put a pail below when doing it. Be careful and mentally prepared probably will smell and look like shit.

Some the crap will drop out, use sharp disposable objects like wooden chopsticks to dig out the rest of the muck.

image.thumb.png.60ad1cdddf006a2f77f16c6c114e28d0.png

• Praise 5

9 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

You need to clear the waste trap below the sink hole:

Unscrew the bottom part that looks like a bullet. put a pail below when doing it. Be careful and mentally prepared probably will smell and look like shit.

Some the crap will drop out, use sharp disposable objects like wooden chopsticks to dig out the rest of the muck.

I tried the vinegar + baking soda and clearing the cap under the sink. The clog is further down.

17 minutes ago, Sunlight said:

I tried the vinegar + baking soda and clearing the cap under the sink. The clog is further down.

Normally the waste trap captures most of the solid stuff due to the winding design.

After that is a straight line out to the common waste water pipe shared by all the apartments in the column.

Those are difficult to access and some parts are buried inside concrete. If those are clogged.... you are quite screwed.

7 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Normally the waste trap captures most of the solid stuff due to the winding design.

After that is a straight line out to the common waste water pipe shared by all the apartments in the column.

Those are difficult to access and some parts are buried inside concrete. If those are clogged.... you are quite screwed.

i scared of this too. Any recommendations for strong stuff to dissolve waste?

1 minute ago, t0y0ta said:

Not exactly screwed but it's tougher to clear. For households like mine where a lot of cooking is done, usually the clog is due to solidified oils and fats, otherwise known as "fatberg". On average I clear mine once to twice a year. There are a few ways to clear it:

1. Use your hands (with gloves or plastic bag) and go in and dig, scoop out as much fatberg as you can.

2. Use chemical agents to try and melt those crap. Results may be slow.

3. Use a wet and dry vacuum, stick it into the drain trap until it reaches close to the U pipe section, and try to suck out the fatberg.

4. If your wet and dry vacuum has a blowing mode, after trying step 3, you can try plugging the drainage outlets from the kitchen sink, change the vacuum to blow mode, and try to use the air pressure to push the remaining fatberg through the U pipe.

Usually I will use steps 1, 3, and 4. Damn messy, but gets the choke cleared.

• Praise 1

bigger fairprice store has a wider range of pipe cleaning solution to dissolve the hardened stuff down the angle pipe which will be good to soaked overnight and flush down with boiling water, will flash the brand again which is effective. This is for the kitchen sink only. Down the floor pipe that goes to the lower floor neighbors, usually is the hardened cement that cannot be done with this solution, long arms needed with light knocks to break cement into pieces to scoop up.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1