Simple home DIY repairs

Lala81

i only use vinegar + baking soda to clean cooking stove. have tried to pour this mixture into kitchen sink and let it set overnight. seem to work a bit.

↡ Advertisement

If anyone wants to drill stainless steel, get cobalt HSS bit.

They are pricey around $2 each, but worth it. They are like golden in colour.

cobbt.jpg

• Praise 4

Any one DIY re-laminate your kitchen cabinet? 

I bought a 25 m roll of kitchen cabinet stickers from Lazada and is halfway through replacing the torn and warping laminate.

Had wanted a light wood tone but seller sent me white oak coloured sticker instead. My wife said looks a bit obiang. Haiz!

20210316_144706.thumb.jpg.209262331a5eae1fa3dea6c43d507d6a.jpg

• Praise 5
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Count-Bracula said:

I bought a 25 m roll of kitchen cabinet stickers from Lazada and is halfway through replacing the torn and warping laminate.

Had wanted a light wood tone but seller sent me white oak coloured sticker instead. My wife said looks a bit obiang. Haiz!

After you are done... pls post more photo's ........so you can come and do my kitchen also 🤣🤣 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 6

Supercharged

Vinyl? How do you wrap the corners? Use hair dryer?

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Count-Bracula said:

Wah power! I also never do before

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Kklim said:

Vinyl? How do you wrap the corners? Use hair dryer?

A few steps cutting the corner and folding in the sticker.

Sorry the pictures not so clear, using my tablet. Start from the bottom picture up (sequence tombalek)

Just an example using a small piece, this board a bit of problem due to stripped screws ..... cannot remove handle.

20210316_182202.jpg

20210316_182148.jpg

20210316_182136.jpg

20210316_182120.jpg

20210316_182053.jpg

20210316_182025.jpg

20210316_182000.jpg

20210316_181936.jpg

20210316_181901.jpg

• Praise 9

2 hours ago, BanCoe said:

After you are done... pls post more photo's ........so you can come and do my kitchen also 🤣🤣 

Haha .... layman, play play only.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic

It's a good idea. I use some to stick on my wall where there's water splash, like near the trash can.

Some of my cabinet doors were badly warped due to absorption of water, so no point wrapping those.

• Praise 1

Haha .... layman, play play only.

But dont you get air bubbles getting stuck inside the flat board ....... or you use the the soap water method ........ take out  the liner paper and spray on the door cover and let it lie on it and then use a squeege to squeeze the water out and its a perfect fit ......... something like how they do on glass or metal car bodies....... air bubbles is always a problem( somehow) i remember i had to puncture small holes using a pin or needle to flatten them🤣 

• Praise 2

Supersonic
38 minutes ago, Count-Bracula said:

This part a bit tricky due to stripped screws, unable to remove the handle. So have to work out a bit.

There are a few ways you can removed stripped screws, usually phillips head that are "cammed" out.

This is my favourite. If you can grab the head, you can slowly reverse the screw out.

https://www.amazon.sg/dp/B072M938ZY/

Other types are:

1. left hand drill bit, extractor

https://www.amazon.com/Tools-Hanson-Spiral-Extractor-11119/dp/B0002NYBH8/

2. impact screwdriver

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Manual-7-Piece/dp/B000NPPATS/

• Praise 4

39 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

But dont you get air bubbles getting stuck inside the flat board ....... or you use the the soap water method ........ take out  the liner paper and spray on the door cover and let it lie on it and then use a squeege to squeeze the water out and its a perfect fit ......... something like how they do on glass or metal car bodies....... air bubbles is always a problem( somehow) i remember i had to puncture small holes using a pin or needle to flatten them🤣 

This vinyl roll comes with sticky side and cannot use the soap water method. My first panel screw up with alignment and ended up the whole sticker crumpled, so wasting about a metre.

Initially could not lay out flat ending up with trapped bubbles but just need to slit with box cutter and squeeze out the air. After 3rd or 4th panels I was able to roll out flat without air bubbles, like those doing screen protector for phones.

Now I scare not enough to finish the whole cabinet, I could have calculated wrongly the amount I require.

• Praise 4

22 minutes ago, Count-Bracula said:

This vinyl roll comes with sticky side and cannot use the soap water method. My first panel screw up with alignment and ended up the whole sticker crumpled, so wasting about a metre.

Initially could not lay out flat ending up with trapped bubbles but just need to slit with box cutter and squeeze out the air. After 3rd or 4th panels I was able to roll out flat without air bubbles, like those doing screen protector for phones.

Now I scare not enough to finish the whole cabinet, I could have calculated wrongly the amount I require.

Yes I know that the sticky side after you peel off will definetely end up with small air pocket bubbles unless you really know how to do tension pulling and at the same time using a reasonably soft ruler to press on the vinyl .......... it needs good skill and dexterity ...... i guess you have honed in the skill

using a very fine pin or needle is good enuff to flatten the bubbles or even cutter

Skali you re-order again get different batch or tone ..........damn jialat lah.... better order fast fast and ask vendor specifically to send same batch      

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Counted the total number of panels and added 5m to it but missed out counting the side because blocked by fridge. 😖

Anyway, this kitchen cabinet is already 24 years old and was actually thinking of renovating the kitchen, getting a new set of kitchen cabinet. But new kitchen and old other parts of the house just seem strange.

Kitchen cabinet is $100-$250 per foot run for basic setup and I only spent $125 for the 25m roll of laminate sticker.

Will post pictures once completed and kitchen tidied up. Very messy atm.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6