Simple home DIY repairs

Lala81

25 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

This is my sons ikea bed. These two metal rods fell off 2 years ago cos the screw and bolt holding them came loose. Lost the screws and nuts over the years before I moved. 

Purchased m3 1" screws and the nuts from shopee. 

Needed the makita to tighten this. Have to hold the nut with a plier while using the makita. Almost thought I got the wrong nut until I used the power tool. Cos u can't hand tighten these nuts. 

20211213_200240_compress16.jpg

20211213_200227_compress49.jpg

No need to tighten the cross braces. Just ensure tgeyveont pop out of the slots would suffice. Their purpose was merely to minimise warping on the side laminated chipboard frames. Once they warp...mattress will drop together with the slabs...my son liked to drop his weight... thus, he had several experiences on that 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

58 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

This is my sons ikea bed. These two metal rods fell off 2 years ago cos the screw and bolt holding them came loose. Lost the screws and nuts over the years before I moved. 

Needed the makita to tighten this. Have to hold the nut with a plier while using the makita. Almost thought I got the wrong nut until I used the power tool. Cos u can't hand tighten these nuts. 

You might want to consider another type of nut, called locknuts or nyloc, with nylon-insert lock nut. The nylon ring prevents vibration from working the nut loose. Do note that if you hand-tighten, you might think it's the wrong thread, but it's the nylon that's causing the restriction. It's not expensive if you buy in packs from shopee, lazada or Amazon.

nylock-nut-500x500.jpg

• Praise 3

59 minutes ago, Icu said:

Looking for rounded edge tiles. Anyone know any shop that offer these? Thx!

20211126_232053.jpg

So old school...I'll be very surprised if this can be found at taobao 

Used to keep the spares at my old place...discarded all when I moved

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Kb27 said:

You might want to consider another type of nut, called locknuts or nyloc, with nylon-insert lock nut. The nylon ring prevents vibration from working the nut loose. Do note that if you hand-tighten, you might think it's the wrong thread, but it's the nylon that's causing the restriction. It's not expensive if you buy in packs from shopee, lazada or Amazon.

nylock-nut-500x500.jpg

Alternative buy a bottle of Loctite Blue.  DIY must-have.

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1

9 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Sorry. I don't like all metal beds. Reminds me of saf. 

I like powder coated steel. But only for storage items. Lol. 

I slept on a saf top bunk. Horrible. Damn thing wobbles. 😂

• Haha! 4

14 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

I slept on a saf top bunk. Horrible. Damn thing wobbles. 😂

I nearly fell off from one without a side guard …luckily my subconscious woke me up in the nick of time. Otherwise, consperm downgrade or a national flag over me as blanket 😅

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

9 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Alternative buy a bottle of Loctite Blue.  DIY must-have.

This one have to be careful when buying from Shopee.

Those $5 ones are fake. Must buy from Shopee Mall where the price is about $25.

14 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Do apply some threadlock on the bolts and nuts when tightening.

I always use Loctite Green threadlock, it is vibration proof. I have a 50ml bottle and been in use for 20+ years already. It does not dry up, only in contact with the screw threads then dries up to secure it.

• Praise 1

Never knew got such stuff. Thanks for the tips guys. But this screw is much longer than the original. Don't think the nut will loosen up so easily. 

2 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Never knew got such stuff. Thanks for the tips guys. But this screw is much longer than the original. Don't think the nut will loosen up so easily. 

Alternative, use those piping white tape if you have. Provides some resistance.

22 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Double nut will help. if possible put a flat and spring washer on that screw. The contact surface not alot. 

Use threadlock with caution unless you are very sure you are not dismantling it in the near future. I've assembled machines with threadlock before and really lau gua when need to loosen to do alignment. Personally threadlock will be useful for industrial stuff or if you are screwing an allen head screw into a hole. Philips head screw with a bolt just use double bolt method. 

• Haha! 1

35 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Double nut will help. if possible put a flat and spring washer on that screw. The contact surface not alot. 

Use threadlock with caution unless you are very sure you are not dismantling it in the near future. I've assembled machines with threadlock before and really lau gua when need to loosen to do alignment. Personally threadlock will be useful for industrial stuff or if you are screwing an allen head screw into a hole. Philips head screw with a bolt just use double bolt method. 

Just use a lighter or a soldering iron to heat up the bolt or screw and the threadlock will turn soft. Then its easy to unscrew.

I use it quite a lot for my r/c builds.

• Praise 1

23 hours ago, Icu said:

Looking for rounded edge tiles. Anyone know any shop that offer these? Thx!

20211126_232053.jpg

Balestier has a stretch of shops selling tiles,  go ask them, their sales girls are friendly and helpfull, not the typical reno shop ah beng type.

On 10/27/2021 at 7:05 PM, TangoCharlie said:

Thanks @Kb27 ..did it for aircon remote. Did an awful job but it's clearer. Always thoughtyhe dark patch due to low battery 😖....wasted quite a lot of batteries over the last few years. Haha

PXL_20211027_105906299.jpg

A couple of my aircon remotes are in the same condition. Used the alu surface of a coffee packaging bag to replace the bad one. Top one is the bad one, middle one is the replaced ome, lowest piece is the good one. Just counted, i have 7 more bad one to replace😪. Mitsubishi remote CMI. 

Screenshot_20211214-215057_Gallery.thumb.jpg.68c90aef3ab88c8bf9f59d41ae44b612.jpg

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

7 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

A couple of my aircon remotes are in the same condition. Used the alu surface of a coffee packaging bag to replace the bad one. Top one is the bad one, middle one is the replaced ome, lowest piece is the good one. Just counted, i have 7 more bad one to replace😪. Mitsubishi remote CMI. 

Screenshot_20211214-215057_Gallery.thumb.jpg.68c90aef3ab88c8bf9f59d41ae44b612.jpg

Big improvement 👍

On 12/13/2021 at 9:30 PM, Lala81 said:

You may want to use a  washer  to increase the surface area of contact both on top and below each. Next, you have only one nut now, since this is not meant  to be tighten, it will drop out over time. Go get another nut to lock against the first nut so that it will not drop out again. 

↡ Advertisement