Valve stem washer?

Philipkee

Anyone knows what it's this? I went to fix my tire recently cos there seemed to be a slow leak.  The man said maybe there is a leak in the valve stem but it's not obvious. So I was like whatever.  Tire pressure normal and all was good.

Today I went to pump air into my tire and I realised I couldn't pump air inside.  Then I noticed this.

Well, there is no leak but the pressure is slightly lesser than what I like so I wanted to top up but couldn't.

Anyone knows what is this and can it be removed?  It seems like putty and not washer so.....  It's the red colour thing.

20200924_125738.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

20 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Tyre shops should be able to remove and replace easily in seconds with a special tool. 

yeah, dont even need to remove the tire.

even if they need to replace the whole valve, they will just crack open the tire bead  and push it down to replace the valve. very fast too.

• Praise 1

32 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

First time seeing as well. 

So when you were driving , the TPMS register a leak.?

Was all 4 tires stem the same or was this from the tire shop. 

Only one tire.  The mechanic say nothing wrong.  So I did not care or notice since after he did what he did the tire pressure remained stable. Only today did I realise something is inside when I wanted to pump some air inside and the pump just couldn't pump anything inside.  Then I noticed this

2 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

yeah, dont even need to remove the tire.

even if they need to replace the whole valve, they will just crack open the tire bead  and push it down to replace the valve. very fast too.

Then why put this red thing? Cheaper?  Faster?

Internal Moderator
42 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Anyone knows what it's this? I went to fix my tire recently cos there seemed to be a slow leak.  The man said maybe there is a leak in the valve stem but it's not obvious. So I was like whatever.  Tire pressure normal and all was good.

Today I went to pump air into my tire and I realised I couldn't pump air inside.  Then I noticed this.

Well, there is no leak but the pressure is slightly lesser than what I like so I wanted to top up but couldn't.

Anyone knows what is this and can it be removed?  It seems like putty and not washer so.....  It's the red colour thing.

20200924_125738.jpg

Your picture abit blur leh. hahah. 

Anyway, you can drive down to any tyre shop and ask them to help you change the whole valve. not expensive lah. Better than the air keep leaking.

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Omg.   I sent this picture to my mechanic he say the same thing (in a nicer way......)

For Android

Android.thumb.jpeg.85e1708c3b8ca4216e9b2772de3be39d.jpeg

For iOS, put this function in the triple click.

iOS.thumb.jpeg.2a5770c8b7f1687e6fdf8bc80bd9f10c.jpeg

Learn Learn Learn !

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

7 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

It is THE SIGN.

Book HONDA CITY now.

When coe drop.... unless I got a new thread "AMA.  My car engine dropped out while I am on the expressway"

• Haha! 2

Anyway I removed it liao after speaking to my mechanic on WhatsApp.  

I just wonder why the other mechanic put it there if no leak.  At least that what he said though I felt otherwise.

Anyway due for tire rotation soon so maybe I will change the valve stem then.

Unless coe crash in oct.

IMG-20200924-WA0019.jpeg

That's better, boy.

The red rubber washer is from your valve cap. It somehow got stuck there. Use something sharp and dig it out, put back in the valve cap. Make sure it sits properly otherwise you will experience some leak.

See what a good picture can help. Dont be lazy and sloppy.

Note: Do not over tighten your valve cap. I think that's what you did. That's why got stuck there. 

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

3 hours ago, Colin03 said:

The red washer suppose to be on the cap end.

Over tightening cause it to stuck on the valve.

Problem is I am not supposed to have that washer, I think.  Cos I am using external TPMS as the cap.

Wonder where it came from.....

4 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Problem is I am not supposed to have that washer, I think.  Cos I am using external TPMS as the cap.

Wonder where it came from.....

Might be from the TPMS as it needs a good seal to prevent air escaping. I think once you screw it on, it will actually depresses the valve stem to pressurise the sensor. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1