"LED white lights make driving at night a hazard". Really?

Lotr

7 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Rear view mirror should be just nice looking out of rear windscreen.

Any view beyond rear windscreen use side mirror.

That is too narrow for me. I started driving when some cars were without wing mirrors, or at most, one on the driver's side only. I have kept the long mirror from my first car.

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

That is too narrow for me. I started driving when some cars were without wing mirrors, or at most, one on the driver's side only. I have kept the long mirror from my first car.

Unlearn to relearn.

• Haha! 1

22 hours ago, Phluvcat said:

There is a myth that yellow light ‘penetrates fog better’ or that any yellow light is automatically a fog light. But in reality, yellow is simply a better colour for seeing by at night due to the reduced glare for a given light output.

but the reality is still yellow fog light work better then white fog light....

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

but the reality is still yellow fog light work better then white fog light....

As I said different articles may yield different conclusions and different people different wants and perceptions. I personally prefer yellowish light as I have lao hua yan and astigmatism. White LED or such lights seem to have a higher contrast characteristics which make my eyes adjust harder to the "extremities".

Even if I flip down my rear view, still gotta contend with the side views. 

Also because my sitting position is low, higher vehicles their headlights basically about my side view level 😢

That’s probably my personal problem so I drive around it lor. For example at night drive guai guai, dun change lane unless absolutely necessary to cut down looking at mirrors 😂 Stay away from 1st lane to avoid / cut down glare from opposite trafffic.

Being blinded by a glare through the mirrors not only mean you cannot see whats behind or the sides the mirrors are supposed to reflect the info, it also means you temporarily lose the ability to focus on the front as your eyes try to adjust back.

My worst driving experience is along a dark single dual way small winding road in heavy rain in Malaysia. Here in Singapore much better but we can always improve, especially the driving and riding etiquette 😂🤔

• Praise 2

IMHO.

Blue Light (HEV) is 380-500 nm and look at Figure 5.
Derived your own conclusions how much light the discussion is about. 

Figure-5-UV-Vis-Transmission-in-Car-Window-Tinting.jpg.f41ec2f7e95089574f0b221095c42daf.jpg

Figure 5. Factory tinting in car windows was most effective in filtering UV-Vis-NIR wavelengths when compared with other tinting options.

Source : - https://www.gmp.ch/spectroscopy-applications/transmission-characteristics-of-sunglasses-and-tinted-windows

18 hours ago, Phluvcat said:

As I said different articles may yield different conclusions and different people different wants and perceptions. I personally prefer yellowish light as I have lao hua yan and astigmatism. White LED or such lights seem to have a higher contrast characteristics which make my eyes adjust harder to the "extremities".

Even if I flip down my rear view, still gotta contend with the side views. 

Also because my sitting position is low, higher vehicles their headlights basically about my side view level 😢

That’s probably my personal problem so I drive around it lor. For example at night drive guai guai, dun change lane unless absolutely necessary to cut down looking at mirrors 😂 Stay away from 1st lane to avoid / cut down glare from opposite trafffic.

Being blinded by a glare through the mirrors not only mean you cannot see whats behind or the sides the mirrors are supposed to reflect the info, it also means you temporarily lose the ability to focus on the front as your eyes try to adjust back.

My worst driving experience is along a dark single dual way small winding road in heavy rain in Malaysia. Here in Singapore much better but we can always improve, especially the driving and riding etiquette 😂🤔

During downpour or foggy day, yellow fog only (off main beam) is easier to see. This kind of yellow hor.

04DFF8B8-1CF4-4E41-9D73-76D5C14BB8A3.thumb.jpeg.080cc65c5603f7f88a10e7899a93bafc.jpeg

Nowadays there are fog light bulb that is able to change color.

• Praise 2

6 hours ago, inlinesix said:

During downpour or foggy day, yellow fog only (off main beam) is easier to see. This kind of yellow hor.

04DFF8B8-1CF4-4E41-9D73-76D5C14BB8A3.thumb.jpeg.080cc65c5603f7f88a10e7899a93bafc.jpeg

Nowadays there are fog light bulb that is able to change color.

two reasons:

1) yellow light reflects less than white

2) low height and beam pattern of the fogs reduce reflected light back to the driver due to the angle.

reflection is from light hitting a wall of thick fog/heavy rain. Tried n tested many times when going up/down Genting highlands at night or wee hours of the morning.

Same conditions where a rear fog light (red) is useful. Unfortunately many drivers use rear fogs even on clear nights [knife]

• Praise 3

LED lighting safer, more energy-efficient

"We thank Mr Ng Yee Cheng for his feedback (LED white lights make driving at night a hazard, Sept 26).

As technology improves, there are opportunities for us to adopt more environmentally friendly and cost-effective technologies. Light-emitting diode (LED) street lights are one such example. 

LED street lights have been adopted in many countries. They provide top-down directional lighting that helps to disperse light rays uniformly on the roads.

This minimises the scattering of light rays beyond unintended areas, making it safer for road users.

They also reproduce the colours of objects more accurately compared with conventional high pressure sodium lighting, enabling road users to see better at night.

These provisions help to improve road safety for all. In addition, they are more energy-efficient, environmentally friendly and reduce maintenance costs in the long term.

The Land Transport Authority’s (LTA) LED street lights comply with international standards of illumination, which carry strict requirements on permissible glare levels.

In the automotive sector, manufacturers are increasingly adopting LED lighting for vehicle headlamps because of such benefits.

LTA approves the use of only factory-fitted LED vehicle headlamps that comply with global safety standards and regulations such as those set by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe. These standards include requiring an auto-levelling feature to avoid causing unwanted glare and distraction to other road users.

We will continue to monitor developments in this area closely and make adjustments where necessary, to ensure safety for all road users."

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltagov/en/newsroom/2020/october/media-replies/led-lighting-safer--more-energy-efficient.html

Edited by Bmxcar

28 minutes ago, Bmxcar said:

LED lighting safer, more energy-efficient

"We thank Mr Ng Yee Cheng for his feedback (LED white lights make driving at night a hazard, Sept 26).

As technology improves, there are opportunities for us to adopt more environmentally friendly and cost-effective technologies. Light-emitting diode (LED) street lights are one such example. 

LED street lights have been adopted in many countries. They provide top-down directional lighting that helps to disperse light rays uniformly on the roads.

This minimises the scattering of light rays beyond unintended areas, making it safer for road users.

They also reproduce the colours of objects more accurately compared with conventional high pressure sodium lighting, enabling road users to see better at night.

These provisions help to improve road safety for all. In addition, they are more energy-efficient, environmentally friendly and reduce maintenance costs in the long term.

The Land Transport Authority’s (LTA) LED street lights comply with international standards of illumination, which carry strict requirements on permissible glare levels.

In the automotive sector, manufacturers are increasingly adopting LED lighting for vehicle headlamps because of such benefits.

LTA approves the use of only factory-fitted LED vehicle headlamps that comply with global safety standards and regulations such as those set by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe. These standards include requiring an auto-levelling feature to avoid causing unwanted glare and distraction to other road users.

We will continue to monitor developments in this area closely and make adjustments where necessary, to ensure safety for all road users."

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltagov/en/newsroom/2020/october/media-replies/led-lighting-safer--more-energy-efficient.html

LTA again say like no say? Lol. But would white light become reflective on wet weather?

• Haha! 1

Can't they make these LED lights yellowish? You can buy yellow-hue LED bulbs in the market, what's so difficult then if they insist to switch to LED for street lightings? 

7 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

Can't they make these LED lights yellowish? You can buy yellow-hue LED bulbs in the market, what's so difficult then if they insist to switch to LED for street lightings? 

Once LTA has done something, it is difficult and hard for them to change, unless something bad happened due to this change, if not they would always think they are right on the track de. [rolleyes]

• Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Kangadrool said:

That’s bad idea. It is very dim.

White is still the best 

↡ Advertisement