"LED white lights make driving at night a hazard". Really?

Lotr

So someone wrote into ST forum to say that "LED white lights make driving at night a hazard"

https://str.sg/JBcA

"As more vehicles and streetlights are installed with white LED bulbs, driving at night has become uncomfortable and hazardous.

As a driver, I have often been momentarily blinded by the glare in my rear-view mirror from cars with such headlights.

Alongside the road, the strong white glare from the streetlights becomes distracting for drivers as the brightness competes with the vehicle lights on the road.

I noticed LED streetlights do not diffuse as well as the warmer, more orange streetlights of the past. Hence, there is high contrast between bright white spots and the dark background. In terms of area covered, the old lights seem to do a better job.

I hope the Land Transport Authority will review the use of LED white lights on streetlights and regulate their use in vehicles."

Do people generally feel that night driving is uncomfortable and hazardous with LEDs?

Personally, I have no issues with LEDs in the rear view mirrors.  Only time I get blinded is from the LED of the car in opposite direction, especially if I am going down-slope and the car with LED is going up-slope. 

As for LED streetlights, just brightens up the road, the orange lights are just too dim, really "pales in comparison".  If LEDs are too bright, then why not install orange light for the F1 night race?

Edited by Lotr
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Lotr said:

I hope the Land Transport Authority will review the use of LED white lights on streetlights and regulate their use in vehicles."

I hope the Land Transport Authority will review the use of these whining drivers and regulate their use in vehicles."

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

Another area they need to look at is those tow truck vehicles with very strong strobe light..

When they travel in tunnel can be very blinding for other drivers

When they are towing they use it i am fine.. but it is PITA when they are on when just cruising..

• Praise 1

I have no problems with LED headlights. But I have a big problem with excessive LED blinkers on the ambulance. You don't need to light up the ambulance like a Christmas tree and is extremely blinding. This is worst if you driving behind one at night. Why do you need blinkers at the rear? LTA should seriously review this.

• Praise 7

Go and drive in the US highways where there is no street lights , he will immediately appreciate the value of streetlight. 

Next is  their  highways have no guardrails in between the opposite lanes, he will realise what is glaring from the lights of the cars from the opposite direction. 

• Praise 3

13 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Go and drive in the US highways where there is no street lights , he will immediately appreciate the value of streetlight. 

Next is  their  highways have no guardrails in between the opposite lanes, he will realise what is glaring from the lights of the cars from the opposite direction. 

Just drive on NSHW at night to appreciate street light and LED headlight

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Even some of those road bikes LED are quite pretty strong , kind of like strobe lights too blinking away ... but I guess it’s their safety aspect but as a pedestrian crossing the roads it can be quite blinding momentarily 

• Praise 2

Glare from rearview mirror is due to the presence of more suvs on the road. I agree that some aftermarket led lights that are not regulated is very irritating.

White lights are definitely brighter and diffuses better. But it is more straining to see in white light than orange light. Also, the bigger in contrast at night means our eyes have to keep adjusting to the difference in brightness if the road is not evenly lit up. Look at how bright our f1 track looks like when properly lit. Personally I prefer orange light as it is more comfortable to my eyes.

• Praise 7
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Avonez said:

I have no problems with LED headlights. But I have a big problem with excessive LED blinkers on the ambulance. You don't need to light up the ambulance like a Christmas tree and is extremely blinding. This is worst if you driving behind one at night. Why do you need blinkers at the rear? LTA should seriously review this.

Erm.. That is to create attention to surrounding drivers. Coz maybe the driver did not notice ambulance coming but then felt like some disco light coming from behind. Driver will automatically look at rear view mirror or side mirror to see what is it. So it create attention.. Every second saved counts towards saving life. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 3

The factory fitted LEDs are fine. Many cars have auto alignment so it will level off properly and not blind the driver in front. 

The irritating ones are big bikes as they tend to shine straight into your side mirrors. Not sure if theirs is legal from factory or they modified. An auxiliary police bike had very bright LED lights that shone into my right side mirror at a traffic light the other day.

I'm surprised companies are buying high spec Toyota Hiace with LEDs for their staff to drive. Because of the height difference, the LEDs shine straight into my rear view mirrors. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Avonez said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_vehicle_lighting

I think its gonna be very hard.  The lighting is for safety purposes.  Especially at night.  I believe the reason is to tell you to stay away from the ambulance from all sides when the blinkers are on.  Cos if its focussed on the front, people give way but forget about the sides and the rear.

Example.  

Ambulance stops at first lane in an accident area.  The paramedic jumps out from the side.  If the lights are not flashing, maybe some joker will try to pass the ambulance close to the side. While the paramedic should be careful, an obstruction is still an obstruction.

Example.

Ambulance stops at road side to pick up a patient.  A car stops just behind it.  Now the stretcher cannot come out cos the car is just  behind.

Now, one can argue hazard lights are sufficient when they are stopping but there will be that joker who will say I dunno, I never see... so the blinkers are to ensure that you see and have no excuse not to see.

Also, ambulances need to go to places where it can be dark and no light.  Example would be the reservoirs or parks at night where lighting is minimal.  Or they are travelling during a blackout.  They must still be visible at all times.  And hazard lights wont help when they are moving cos then drivers wont know if they are going straight left or right.

Of cos there is the possibility that the patient needs the ambulance but cannot see the ambulance.  Example, he is in the park (dunno why I keep using park as example  :D).  An ambulance lit up like a christmas tree is obvious so he can go to the ambulance if needed or he can wave to them (cos he knows which direction they are) or if unable he can tell the dispatcher the ambulance just passed him blah blah...

Two cents.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Sad 1