Michelin Pilot sport 4 Different moulds used

John_D

Neutral Newbie

Michelin Pilot sport 4 Different moulds used,

This week I had a puncture in one of my ps4's and got it changed, I realised that the two tyres looked considerably different to each other, one tyre has a rim protection lip when the other doesn't.

Brought it up with the tyre place who contacted Michelin who then had it escalated to figure out why they where different.

4 days went past and it turns out that Michelin make the tyres in both Spain and Thailand and the new one I got (Made in Thailand) doesn't have rim protection like the original ps4 tyres.

it is pretty disappointing that the tyre is different since they look considerably worse than the original Spain made ps4 tyres.

I've posted photos of the two for reference 

Anyone else experienced this and as frustrated as I am?

made in thailand 1.jpg

made in spain 1.jpg

↡ Advertisement

My tyre size have a choice between Thailand and Europe.   I chose the former.
I believe there are differences.
I share your frustration.

Perhaps if is not to inconvenient,  who you be able to take a close up picture of the tyres that indicates the number of plys ?

I got a '13 BRZ a few years ago and the tires on it have finally worn out. I bought the car used and the previous owner had just put a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on it, so I haven't yet needed to replace the tires. Because the car has always has Pilot SSs on it, I don't really have any benchmark to go off in terms of comparing different tires to see what I like, so I thought I'd ask here.

I love the car with the Pilot SSs on it, though I'm not sure how much of what I like (handling, braking, wet weather performance, and how easy the car is to control when you swing the tail out) is due to the tires and how much is due to the car itself.

The Pilot Super Sport is discontinued now and has been replaced with the Pilot Sport 4S, which is supposed to be even better than the previous generation. But, the lowest price I could find for the tires at local shops/online was ~$192 (they come with free installation after a mail-in rebate as well--for a total of $771 + tax after the rebate), which is a lot of money.

There are some other performance tires available which are much cheaper than the 4S, like the Hankook Ventus K120s at $106 each (so almost half the price), and similarly priced performance tires like the Continental ExtremeContact Sport at $172 each.

What I'd like to know is: 1) how much better (if at all) are the Pilot Sport 4Ss than the Pilot Super Sports; and 2) how does the Pilot Sport 4S stack up against other summer performance tires, and is that difference worth spending the extra money?

15 minutes ago, SebastianWyatt said:

I got a '13 BRZ a few years ago and the tires on it have finally worn out. I bought the car used and the previous owner had just put a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on it, so I haven't yet needed to replace the tires. Because the car has always has Pilot SSs on it, I don't really have any benchmark to go off in terms of comparing different tires to see what I like, so I thought I'd ask here.

I love the car with the Pilot SSs on it, though I'm not sure how much of what I like (handling, braking, wet weather performance, and how easy the car is to control when you swing the tail out) is due to the tires and how much is due to the car itself.

The Pilot Super Sport is discontinued now and has been replaced with the Pilot Sport 4S, which is supposed to be even better than the previous generation. But, the lowest price I could find for the tires at local shops/online was ~$192 (they come with free installation after a mail-in rebate as well--for a total of $771 + tax after the rebate), which is a lot of money.

There are some other performance tires available which are much cheaper than the 4S, like the Hankook Ventus K120s at $106 each (so almost half the price), and similarly priced performance tires like the Continental ExtremeContact Sport at $172 each.

What I'd like to know is: 1) how much better (if at all) are the Pilot Sport 4Ss than the Pilot Super Sports; and 2) how does the Pilot Sport 4S stack up against other summer performance tires, and is that difference worth spending the extra money?

Michelin PS4s Tyres are Top Performance Tyres,do you really need it.?By the way,what size is your Tyres.?Stock size 215/45-17.?

On 11/24/2020 at 5:36 PM, ER-3682 said:

Michelin PS4s Tyres are Top Performance Tyres,do you really need it.?By the way,what size is your Tyres.?Stock size 215/45-17.?

i agree

On 11/24/2020 at 5:19 PM, SebastianWyatt said:

The Pilot Super Sport is discontinued now and has been replaced with the Pilot Sport 4S, which is supposed to https://omegle.onl/  be even better than the previous generation. But, the lowest price I could find for the tires at local shops/online was ~$192 (they come with free installation after a mail-in rebate as well--for a total of $771 + tax after the rebate), which is a lot of money.

i agree with u

↡ Advertisement