Tower Transit awarded Sembawang-Yishun bus package

Yamapi

SINGAPORE — The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has awarded a contract totalling $1.03 billion for the Bulim and Sembawang-Yishun bus packages to Tower Transit Singapore (TTS).

The five-year contract will start progressively from the second quarter of 2021. If TTS were to perform well over the period, the LTA has the option to extend the contract term by another two years thereafter.

TTS currently operates the Bulim package, consisting of 29 bus services running from Bulim Depot. It will continue to manage Bukit Batok and Jurong East bus interchanges.

The Sembawang-Yishun package, which is currently operated by SMRT Buses, consists of 27 bus services. These services will operate from the new Mandai Depot, which will be handed over to TTS by next month. TTS will also manage Sembawang and Yishun bus interchanges.

The tender for the two bus packages was called on 29 November 2019 and bus operators had the option to bid for either bus package or for both packages.

Affected SMRT employees of the Sembawang–Yishun bus package must be offered a job by the incoming operator, at employment terms that are not worse off than before the transition.

Since the move to the bus contracting model, Singapore’s bus industry has benefited from the entry of two new operators, TTS and Go-Ahead Singapore, the LTA said. “This has created more job opportunities for bus workers and levelled up the industry, where the bus workforce now enjoys better working conditions as well as employment terms and conditions.”

Meanwhile,  National Transport Workers’ Union (NTWU) Executive Secretary and Radin Mas MP Melvin Yong said NTWU will work closely with SMRT and TTS to ensure that all affected workers will have a smooth transition. 

“The Union is committed to work with the different public transport operators to take care of our bus workers and create a safe working environment for them.”

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/tower-transit-singapore-awarded-1-b-deal-to-operate-bulim-sembawang-yishun-bus-packages-122556850.html

Seems the bus services operated by SMRT getting lesser and lesser. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

So far i never see many of the bus services operated by these two new bus operators under the bus contracting model? Think majority bus services still operated by SBS transit le? Lol.

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

So far i never see many of the bus services operated by these two new bus operators under the bus contracting model? Think majority bus services still operated by SBS transit le? Lol.

Now only Bukit Batok, Jurong East, Pasir Ris and Punggol routes run by the two bus operators. Today SMRT lost Yishun and Sembawang to Tower Transit.  Hougang and Sengkang routes due for renewal next year. Lets see whether SBS will retain these routes 

Edited by Yamapi

8 hours ago, Yamapi said:

Now only Bukit Batok, Jurong East, Pasir Ris and Punggol routes run by the two bus operators. Today SMRT lost Yishun and Sembawang to Tower Transit.  Hougang and Sengkang routes due for renewal next year. Lets see whether SBS will retain these routes 

Only 4 locations bus services are run by the two bus operators? No wonder hardly see these buses. Lol. I think Go-Ahead runs even lesser bus services than Tower Transit right? I think usually if the bus routes already run by SBS transit, high chance SBS transit will retain these routes, since they are the big player in the market for decades, so difficult to lost. Like i said, majority bus routes are run by SBS transit, can see so many of their buses on the road.

Edited by 13177

i dont see much different. when TTS takes over they should retain most of the existing drivers.

Its like the security guard vendor for my place.. when the MCST changes vendor, i still see the same security guards... they just change employer/uniform

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Robin said:

i dont see much different. when TTS takes over they should retain most of the existing drivers.

Its like the security guard vendor for my place.. when the MCST changes vendor, i still see the same security guards... they just change employer/uniform

The same bus, same drivers and maybe even some staff doing the bus planning no matter whether it is which bus operators, indeed dont see much different?! Lol. If the bus standard cmi, whether it SBS transit or Tower Transit also same same. 

3 hours ago, 13177 said:

Only 4 locations bus services are run by the two bus operators? No wonder hardly see these buses. Lol. I think Go-Ahead runs even lesser bus services than Tower Transit right? I think usually if the bus routes already run by SBS transit, high chance SBS transit will retain these routes, since they are the big player in the market for decades, so difficult to lost. Like i said, majority bus routes are run by SBS transit, can see so many of their buses on the road.

I thought the buses are owned by Govt, so it is the operator that will change. 

The buses are painted differently? 

56 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

I thought the buses are owned by Govt, so it is the operator that will change. 

The buses are painted differently? 

All buses are painted the same green colour no matter which bus operator since all buses are owned by LTA.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Robin said:

May not be leh, when MCST changes security vendor, it's usually because the guards suck and their management cannot make it. My side always make sure the same guards are not taken by the new vendor, unless there are very good ones that should be retained.

18 hours ago, Yamapi said:

SINGAPORE — The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has awarded a contract totalling $1.03 billion for the Bulim and Sembawang-Yishun bus packages to Tower Transit Singapore (TTS).

The five-year contract will start progressively from the second quarter of 2021. If TTS were to perform well over the period, the LTA has the option to extend the contract term by another two years thereafter.

TTS currently operates the Bulim package, consisting of 29 bus services running from Bulim Depot. It will continue to manage Bukit Batok and Jurong East bus interchanges.

The Sembawang-Yishun package, which is currently operated by SMRT Buses, consists of 27 bus services. These services will operate from the new Mandai Depot, which will be handed over to TTS by next month. TTS will also manage Sembawang and Yishun bus interchanges.

The tender for the two bus packages was called on 29 November 2019 and bus operators had the option to bid for either bus package or for both packages.

Affected SMRT employees of the Sembawang–Yishun bus package must be offered a job by the incoming operator, at employment terms that are not worse off than before the transition.

Since the move to the bus contracting model, Singapore’s bus industry has benefited from the entry of two new operators, TTS and Go-Ahead Singapore, the LTA said. “This has created more job opportunities for bus workers and levelled up the industry, where the bus workforce now enjoys better working conditions as well as employment terms and conditions.”

Meanwhile,  National Transport Workers’ Union (NTWU) Executive Secretary and Radin Mas MP Melvin Yong said NTWU will work closely with SMRT and TTS to ensure that all affected workers will have a smooth transition. 

“The Union is committed to work with the different public transport operators to take care of our bus workers and create a safe working environment for them.”

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/tower-transit-singapore-awarded-1-b-deal-to-operate-bulim-sembawang-yishun-bus-packages-122556850.html

Seems the bus services operated by SMRT getting lesser and lesser. 

IMHO.
There are many ways to report news. 

For the Bulim Bus Package,  there are 5 bids.
Lowest to Highest  - SBS, SBS, TGG, TTS, SMRT 

The Sembawang-Yishun Bus Package, there are 5 bids
Lowest to Highest - SBS, SBS, TTS, TGG, SMRT

The Combined Bus Package, there are 5 bids
Lowest to Highest - SBS, SBS, TTS, TGG, SMRT

The was awarded the contract for the combined package. 

Excerpt - 

5          TTS was awarded the contract for the combined package, because it received the highest total score taking into account both price and quality factors in its proposal. TTS demonstrated an excellent understanding of the operational considerations and a strong commitment towards enhancing inclusivity and commuter experience on public transport through the following:

a)    Its strong competence in bus service scheduling that will enable the optimal deployment of buses and resources; 

b)    Its plan to work with the relevant agencies, such as the Public Transport Council and social service agencies, to introduce a Public Bus Confidence Course to familiarise the elderly and less mobile commuters with use of our public bus services;

c)     Its plan to hire more persons with disabilities as its customer experience and inclusivity officers to leverage their personal experience in challenges faced by this group of commuters on public buses. This will help identify gaps and enhance inclusivity for bus infrastructure and services; and

d)    Its commitment to concentrating its recruitment efforts on building a stronger Singaporean core.

Source -  https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltagov/en/newsroom/2020/september/news-releases/lta-awards-bulim-and-sembawang-yishun-bus-packages-to-tower-tran.html

I look at 5(d) and I visited TTS website  and can't help wondering if the recruitment efforts includes the following posts ?

Engineering Technical and Training Manager 
Senior Diagnostic Engineer
Operations Director
Head of Engineering
Scheduling Manager

I also see 3 ex-SAF.  No comments on that. 

7 hours ago, Robin said:

IMHO.
Today - No difference.
Tomorrow or later -  Who knows ?

The statement in the reported news is 

"Affected SMRT employees of the Sembawang–Yishun bus package must be offered a job by the incoming operator, at employment terms that are not worse off than before the transition."

In my previous post, 

5(a)  a)    Its strong competence in bus service scheduling that will enable the optimal deployment of buses and resources; 

Nothing was mentioned about pay.   Optimal usually saves something.  😎

1 hour ago, Adrianli said:

SMRT buses showing goodbye messages on their buses. Passing of an era of SMRT bus services in the north.

Looks like SMRT not many bus package left for them to operate liao? Think i see majority still operate by SBS transit.

↡ Advertisement