9 HDB Carpark Rooftops Will Become Vegetable Farms, They Can Increase Local Food Supply

kobayashiGT

22 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

Wonder when will they start livestock farming on roofs also.... 

I like my meat fresh!!  😂 

Keeping livestock such as hen, cow, goat pose a totally different set of challenges. 

Public hygiene, unwanted odour, infectious diseases and such generated from livestock farming, including their waste, are some issues which shall be very challenging to tackle in our densely populated HDB estate.

Most high tech vegetable farm are relatively pollution-free in comparison, and not forgetting that plant also generates oxygen, which is good for nearby resident too. I support. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

54 minutes ago, SGCM928 said:

Keeping livestock such as hen, cow, goat pose a totally different set of challenges. 

Public hygiene, unwanted odour, infectious diseases and such generated from livestock farming, including their waste, are some issues which shall be very challenging to tackle in our densely populated HDB estate.

Most high tech vegetable farm are relatively pollution-free in comparison, and not forgetting that plant also generates oxygen, which is good for nearby resident too. I support. 

He needs to drive through LCK chicken farm with window DOWN at 10PM

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Most importantly thing is what can be grown on roof top farming, if thing like mini brinjai, bean sprout, kai pan and easy to grow vegetable, less pesticides usage will be good for all, I bet the scheme will be beneficial for all human for a long time to come.

• Praise 1

13 hours ago, inlinesix said:

He needs to drive through LCK chicken farm with window DOWN at 10PM

Don't need to drive there at night. A visit to the goat farm, frog farm, crab farm, and even Singapore zoo and he should get the idea. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, golden_eagle said:

What are the ideas one can make a land yield 8 times larger than what they currently do?

The article says current yield is 130 ton per ha-year and the target is 1000.

hydroponics + vertical lor. 

Not the veggie i want to eat. But hey it's still veggies. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

22 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

It is tasteless

I don't buy them on principle. So i dunno. I buy my veggies from market. But NTUC does sell some of these hydroponic types.

Taste is one thing.
Even though commercial farming has reduced micronutrients in the soil with short harvest times (reduced soil recovery and biodiversity in the soil), i dunno how much commercial solutions with artificially manufactured components inside can compensate. The plants are only growing cos being pumped full of nitrates. 

A tomato planted 100 years ago, vs a tomato planted now has very different levels of micronutrients. Simply cos of the time to maturity and less overworked soil.

If u are planting cannabis plant, then this is good i guess. But for nutrients, nah...

Edited by Lala81
  • Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I don't buy them on principle. So i dunno. I buy my veggies from market. But NTUC does sell some of these hydroponic types.

Taste is one thing.
Even though commercial farming has reduced micronutrients in the soil with short harvest times (reduced soil recovery and biodiversity in the soil), i dunno how much commercial solutions with artificially manufactured components inside can compensate. The plants are only growing cos being pumped full of nitrates. 

A tomato planted 100 years ago, vs a tomato planted now has very different levels of micronutrients. Simply cos of the time to maturity and less overworked soil.
If u are planting cannabis plant, then this is good i guess. But for nutrients, nah...

Nowadays, tomato don't grow out of soil.  Rather, it is grow of coco peat in poly bag.

Micronutrients in tomato can be controlled with different mineral (aka Straight fertilizer).

A lot of times, soil growing is inefficient as the soil is being abused with excessive use of fertilizer and pesticide.

There are way to improved soil productivity but no one cares about it in Singapore.

• Praise 2

4 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Nowadays, tomato don't grow out of soil.  Rather, it is grow of coco peat in poly bag.

Micronutrients in tomato can be controlled with different mineral (aka Straight fertilizer).

A lot of times, soil growing is inefficient as the soil is being abused with excessive use of fertilizer and pesticide.

There are way to improved soil productivity but no one cares about it in Singapore.

Mainly cos we don't do our own farming. In the end, it's more like organic vs non-organic etc.

At most just look at country of origin for most people.

Also cos we don't eat raw veggies much here. If raw, then i guess taste differences are quite apparent. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Mainly cos we don't do our own farming. In the end, it's more like organic vs non-organic etc.

At most just look at country of origin for most people.

Also cos we don't eat raw veggies much here. If raw, then i guess taste differences are quite apparent. 

will it work to improve the taste by letting veges grow in nursery or hydrofarms for 80% of the life cycle then transfer to soil for the other 20%? that will make the land/soil's utilization multiply by 4 times. a 90+10% divide will make it 9 times. 

Edited by golden_eagle

Just now, golden_eagle said:

will it work to improve the taste by letting veges grow in nursery or hydrofarms for 80% of the life cycle then transfer to soil for the other 20%? 

Confirm die after transplant.

In addition, it will increase labour cost.

1 minute ago, golden_eagle said:

use robots, since it's supposed to be high tech. 

How much romaine lettuce is needed to breakeven the robot cost?

Or

Are you willing to pay $10/kg for romaine lettuce?

↡ Advertisement