9 HDB Carpark Rooftops Will Become Vegetable Farms, They Can Increase Local Food Supply

kobayashiGT

1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

How much romaine lettuce is needed to breakeven the robot cost?

Or

Are you willing to pay $10/kg for romaine lettuce?

maybe ten years later robot costs come down by 80% and value of $10 then would come down too. 

↡ Advertisement

8 minutes ago, golden_eagle said:

maybe ten years later robot costs come down by 80% and value of $10 then would come down too. 

Most importantly, plant will not survive transplant shock.  It will die.

2 hours ago, golden_eagle said:

will it work to improve the taste by letting veges grow in nursery or hydrofarms for 80% of the life cycle then transfer to soil for the other 20%? that will make the land/soil's utilization multiply by 4 times. a 90+10% divide will make it 9 times. 

I'm an amateur gardener but this is what I know

Roots in soil are like  "air roots".You need to keep them moist, but you cannot drown them or soak them in water for too long. The roots will rot, and then the plant/vegetable will die.

Hydroponics plants/vege have a different type of root system. They need water all the time, they are soaked in water 24hrs/day. They seldom have root rot, if any. But they still need some air space to breath, I guess.

I have inadvertently "switched" my plants from normal roots to semi hydroponics, I guess.

My basil was planted in normal soil. The pot sits over another container filled with water but has an air space separating them.. Eventually, it develops lots of roots that reached down below and stay in the water without damage.

If I had soaked the original basil in soil in a container of water, the roots would have all rotted and the plant died.

The thing is, the 2 root system are structural different. Trying to move from one to the other is possible, but they need time to develop the other set of roots, while still trying to survive. But your vege will probably taste like shit, since the plants will have to divert its energy and resources to develop the new roots. [laugh]

• Praise 5

6 hours ago, Kb27 said:

Roots in soil are like  "air roots".You need to keep them moist, but you cannot drown them or soak them in water for too long. The roots will rot, and then the plant/vegetable will die.

Hydroponics plants/vege have a different type of root system. They need water all the time, they are soaked in water 24hrs/day. They seldom have root rot, if any. But they still need some air space to breath, I guess.

I have inadvertently "switched" my plants from normal roots to semi hydroponics, I guess.

My basil was planted in normal soil. The pot sits over another container filled with water but has an air space separating them.. Eventually, it develops lots of roots that reached down below and stay in the water without damage.

If I had soaked the original basil in soil in a container of water, the roots would have all rotted and the plant died.

The thing is, the 2 root system are structural different. Trying to move from one to the other is possible, but they need time to develop the other set of roots, while still trying to survive. But your vege will probably taste like shit, since the plants will have to divert its energy and resources to develop the new roots. [laugh]

I like your last sentence.

10 hours ago, Albeniz said:

In China, they overdid some of the buildings with greeneries and they ended up breeding mosquitoes.

I hope we don't have this problem here.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/plants-overrun-chinas-housing-project-turning-it-into-mosquito-infested-jungle

Haha... in China's case, most of the units are vacant, hence it happened.

My MSCP initially had vertical garden. But eventually all the plants died. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

i support this initiative

btw i also try out the free seeds from NParks, quite fun to see your crop (albeit only a few) growing up everyday [nod] 

I still remember HDB said the water from car washing in MSCP will cause damage to the concrete, when HDB banned washing of cars in MSCP!

I guess the current MSCP that are approved for farming, all got advanced concrete and water proofing done on the top level??

• Haha! 2

14 hours ago, Albeniz said:

In China, they overdid some of the buildings with greeneries and they ended up breeding mosquitoes.

I hope we don't have this problem here.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/plants-overrun-chinas-housing-project-turning-it-into-mosquito-infested-jungle

dont worry. there will be no mosquittoes in winter. 

plus the mosquittoes are not affecting anyone since nobody resides there, so it's good for biodiversity. 

2 hours ago, Jwee85 said:

I still remember HDB said the water from car washing in MSCP will cause damage to the concrete, when HDB banned washing of cars in MSCP!

I guess the current MSCP that are approved for farming, all got advanced concrete and water proofing done on the top level??

but those are not leaking water during rain seasons. 

19 hours ago, Kb27 said:

ok i didnt know it's like that. thank you for the answer. 

3 hours ago, Jwee85 said:

Until now i still don’t understand this rationale why water from car wash can cause damage to the MSCP? 🤔 Why in the first place hdb built such MSCP?

↡ Advertisement