Turbo car advise

Jackfoo

On 10/3/2020 at 5:58 PM, Jackfoo said:

Dear all,

Goodday all

Consider of getting a turbo car soon but lack of knowledge like need extra maintenance to take care of turbo engine? type of fuel grade? 

Anything about turbo sharing will be appreciated....thanks in advance

Watch this YouTube 1st..

When turbo got problem.. Its very expensive to replace. Worst is if workshop is those anyhow and trial and error type = gg.. In Singapore there are not many workshop are like diagnosedan that is so superb in car diagnosis. 

Screenshot_20201005_071232_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.b1b52670ec2db31c655f89cdd862b33b.jpg

So if you are constantly on short commute.. Do take note.. 

Screenshot_20201005_072110_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.812a7871380cbcecae4b5635341fb504.jpg

And also when shutting down engine... Try to not immediately shut down, but maybe let it idle for say 30 seconds and then shut down.. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 3

1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

Watch this YouTube 1st..

When turbo got problem.. Its very expensive to replace. Worst is if workshop is those anyhow and trial and error type = gg.. In Singapore there are not many workshop are like diagnosedan that is so superb in car diagnosis. 

Screenshot_20201005_071232_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.b1b52670ec2db31c655f89cdd862b33b.jpg

Screenshot_20201005_072110_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.812a7871380cbcecae4b5635341fb504.jpg

And also when shutting down engine... Try to not immediately shut down, but maybe let it idle for say 30 seconds and then shut down.. 

Don't agreed on your last sentence for modern turbo engine. 

Unless you are talking of traveling at crazy NSHW speed of 150km/h for 1hr. Next moment at the rest station immediately off engine at rest point.

But normally when driving towards rest point car already slow down, oil temperature already cool down.

• Praise 6

For bread and butter cars I believe the turbo engine system really no need to worry about additional things on top of NA engine.

When I first drove a turbo car I read alot and also worried about things and was incorporating activities like manual turbo timing. 1 or 2 years on really don't care liao. 6 years on no issues at all and going strong and smooth. Of course, treat it like any NA car and give it the regular necessary servicing.

• Praise 5

27 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Unless you are talking of traveling at crazy NSHW speed of 150km/h for 1hr. Next moment at the rest station immediately off engine at rest point.

But normally when driving towards rest point car already slow down, oil temperature already cool down.

For those running on short commute, the worry is oil loss.

Supercharged
34 minutes ago, Tohto said:

got to have some 'mechanical sympathy'

I do 'cool down lap' for all my vehicles if it is driven hard, doesn't matter it is forced induction/NA/motorcycle 

just like warming up,  we don't red line the engine before it is properly warm up

• Praise 3

On 10/3/2020 at 9:20 PM, Sdf4786k said:

My previous wet clutch last me 360000km and only change the dsg oil every 60000km.

On 10/3/2020 at 10:54 PM, Contipro said:

wet clutch usual no issue. I would prefer wet clutch over dry clutch.

My DSG dry clutch and the gearbox oil needs replacements every year for the last 3 years...

Anyway GXGX TS if you are buying the Harrier Turbo. 7.3s to 100kmh is pacy for a car that size. Pricing is reasonable and Toyota is known for their reliability.

You will love it. 👍

• Praise 1

Why all so scare?

I was already driving a conti turbo car back in 2002. No need simi turbo timer, no scare smlj turbine spin too much lah, no need all this crap on dunno what oil cooler lah. U tink your car is some form of track monster izit? It's a daily driver spending half it's life stuck in traffic jams, traffic lights and urban crawls la dei. Yeah reality suxs.

It's 2020 liao. Some of these fear & scare mongering belong to the 80s turbo era long b4 intercoolers, smart ECUs, etc were the norm 2 decades ago.

Rant of the day over. What's for lunch later?

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 3

4 minutes ago, Soya said:

Why all so scare?

I was already driving a conti turbo car back in 2002. No need simi turbo timer, no scare smlj turbine spin too much lah, 

ya . Lol.

2020 cars and turbo is much more advance compare to 1990 and 2000.

Even the function change already. Its in build pre tune properly. Just buy and drive and service  like any normal car without turbo.

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Yewheng said:

Watch this YouTube 1st..

this is what we means, maintenance cost is equal same as NA , but repair cost can be costly if something get nasty and problems.

• Praise 2

None of my 3 turbo cars gave me any problem. Except for Subaru LGT which had a minor sticking turbo problem caused by oil vapour in the intake, causing the turbo to lag. Easily repaired. The older turbo cars pre- Y2000 had turbo for raw power. I had 2 of these in the Subaru and Volvo 850. No issues at all as even after a hard drive to Malaysia as I would idle the engine for a bit longer before switch off. My only complaints is to do with the FC and diet of RON98.

My present ride is an Ah-Pek Merc W212 E250. This turbo engine has a different character. The turbo is not apparent when driving. The torque comes in so smoothly and early (1,700 RPM). No surge of power, good FC (10.5 km/l). I think the turbo here is to reduce FC and emissions with power boost secondary. No need even to idle for longer time before switch off engine. In short, can treat it just like a NA engine.     The Toyota turbo engine is of same generation as this non-AMG Merc engine

• Praise 2

Some turbo cars will run the fan and electric oil pump to cool down the engine and turbo after the engine is turned off.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

32 minutes ago, Contipro said:

this is what we means, maintenance cost is equal same as NA , but repair cost can be costly if something get nasty and problems.

Stock turbo car designed for the daily drive, what major thing could go wrong that needs major costly repair? 

If everything so scared, they shld go buy a snoozy Altis n go talk FC whole day long lor. But this kinda ppl, next thing scare is mix SPC & Esso petrol spoil engine or not? Accelerate too fast engine explode or not? Use signal too often, light spoil or not?.....lol

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged
3 minutes ago, Soya said:

Use signal too often, light spoil or not?

err, this one not bimmer driver ask one?

• Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Etnt said:

err, this one not bimmer driver ask one?

Economy bad. Downgraded from bimmer to altis. Old habits die hard

• Haha! 1

54 minutes ago, Soya said:

Stock turbo car designed for the daily drive, what major thing could go wrong that needs major costly repair? 

If everything so scared, they shld go buy a snoozy Altis n go talk FC whole day long lor. But this kinda ppl, next thing scare is mix SPC & Esso petrol spoil engine or not? Accelerate too fast engine explode or not? Use signal too often, light spoil or not?.....lol

you rich people this may be peanut only.

for some may be different story, like tyre botak already still insufficient fund to change.

the "IF" situation cannot predict one, is heng suay, so some may have more worried than others..😁

Edited by Contipro
↡ Advertisement