COE Bidding – 1st Round of October 2020

Carbon82

5 minutes ago, Calvin8808 said:

But what you paid or decided to pay it's already a sunk cost, no matter what happens you need to pay that amount. So nothing gonna change. And for just feeling psychologically better really hope "harm" onto others. I mean harm is a bit strong worded, I don't really want to use this word but can't think of what word to use.

I mean maybe like you got retrenched then you hope the whole dept got retrenched also so you don't look like you are lousy cos everyone else in the dept also got retrenched. 

Getting retrenched is not a choice though..
Whereas topping up is an active decision. So, it's different in that sense.
Put it another way. Assume you're planning to buy a house, and plan to stay there for at least 20 years.
If right after you bought, house price decrease by 20%. In theory, you're not affected. But emotionally, you felt a loss. 20 years later, the house price will not be too affected by the drop right after you bought. But in your mind, you would've lost 20%. Even though, in reality, you can't predict such stuff.

↡ Advertisement

1 minute ago, SedanFTW said:

Put it another way. Assume you're planning to buy a house, and plan to stay there for at least 20 years.
If right after you bought, house price decrease by 20%. In theory, you're not affected. But emotionally, you felt a loss. 20 years later, the house price will not be too affected by the drop right after you bought. But in your mind, you would've lost 20%. Even though, in reality, you can't predict such stuff.

I don't really mean that (retrench). I'm just trying to say maybe like if I can't get others can't get as well?

Or more of why hope for something that's not going to benefit you significantly but may be detrimental to others 

19 minutes ago, SedanFTW said:

It's just psychology... You want to pray very hard to ensure that you don't look stupid for topping up etc..
Or that you made the right choice.

Say you paid extra 3k, and if it turns out COE drop by 3k instead, you would feel like you lost 3k psychologically. 
And if the COE price increase more than 3k, you will feel like you "earn" psychologically.

Nevertheless, I think the "pray very hard" is just an analogy for someone who really hope COE doesn't crash after the person makes the decision to top-up.
I doubt someone will "pray very hard" for this purpose.

I beg to differ - the wording even implies a desire for COE to not just go up, but go up substantially past 40k. In any case, I fully agree with @Calvin8808 - wishing substantial harm onto others just for a perceived higher value COE with little material benefit is heartless (@Pplater, see I revised my adjective already 😀

On 10/5/2020 at 5:06 PM, Sctl said:

Praying very hard for Cat A to go up and up, past 40 best! On my last but guaranteed bid. 

8 minutes ago, SedanFTW said:

precisely, if COE goes down, it would be an emotional loss to that buyer (and me and @Calvin8808 for that matter). but we don't go to the extreme of wishing COE goes up and cause real financial detriment to other buyers and dealers just to avoid emotional loss. thats just... wrong... 

10 minutes ago, tjyand said:

precisely, if COE goes down, it would be an emotional loss to that buyer (and me and @Calvin8808 for that matter). but we don't go to the extreme of wishing COE goes up and cause real financial detriment to other buyers and dealers just to avoid emotional loss. thats just... wrong... 

Sometimes it's just how we perceived things?

I mean if it goes down, cos for me mine was G-COE I can still feel happy but saying that hey lucky I got mine at a higher COE then say today's one which is lower. 

But if it went up I can also say luckily I buy earlier you see now so expensive.

In other words it just psychological not real so can think whichever way you want to make yourself feels better without wishing for something like what Bro @tiyand say cause real financial detriment to others   

Neutral Newbie

I left social media few months back, and the forums really remind me of the comments section on FB. 🤣

So much flippant comments and righteous warriors. 

Wonderful! 

All the best to anyone hoping for a COE. 👍

• Praise 1

56 minutes ago, syumassh said:

I left social media few months back, and the forums really remind me of the comments section on FB. 🤣

So much flippant comments and righteous warriors. 

Wonderful! 

All the best to anyone hoping for a COE. 👍

Can you imagine the poor car salesman that have to deal with these kinds of people?

:grin:

• Praise 1

aiyo why got ppl hope coe go up one

paper value higher so what, when time to sell, the dealer also chop you what

should be hope coe drop below rebate level, when go collect car still got money take back, like that then shiok

• Praise 2

But to be fair, even those who hope for COE to go up, aren’t doing any actual thing that pushes the COE to go up. For example, they aren’t the policy makers (who decided to implement a zero growth rate for example). They also aren’t car dealers (who mass buy cars for PHVs in a short period for example).

So, I think “praying” for COE to rise up after securing it, is a very common psychological thinking for many people. And personally I find it relatively ok and understandable, as long as it remains in the “thinking” realm and not become concrete actions.

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, ferrytales said:

i hope coe goes up to 80k so that i can sell my car for a profit. after that BMW till coe comes back down!

You remind me of years ago.  I hoped COE crashed to $1, I get my car and COE can rise to $100k for all I care.

Lo and behold, a year later the GFC happened and the COE really crashed, though not to $1, but I wasnt about to argue with that. I got my car and COE shot up after that, though not to $100k but again, I wasnt going to argue with that also.

the asean made car also priced at a certain level but sweetened by a  10 yr engine warranty n 10 free service....some others still cannot get the car at CB prices but i hope pple can get their coe at this price point

Based on our Malaysia borders situations, we will be locked down for at least another year till Jan 2022.

we can only drive our cars around Singapore so small cars prices should increase as small cars is more practical in Singapore roads condition.

small cars with/without turbo generally give better savings in lower road tax, insurance, fuel consumption, maintenance cost and repair cost.

many will also renew COE on their current car to have a bigger savings if the car condition is still good.

Edited by PaulMeng
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, PaulMeng said:

Based on our Malaysia borders situations, we will be locked down for at least another year till Jan 2022.

Let's hope u r wrong.  I know some people who have not seen their families in months just because one  live in malaysia and one in  Singapore.   Soon many may have to make the decision to continue working or spend the next year or so isolated from their families.  This will have impact on the economy.

Plus singaporeans who bought houses in malaysia can  almost literally write them off liao.

Plus tourism would be dead by then.  It's just holding on.  Imagine one more year or more of this.

Turbocharged
17 hours ago, SedanFTW said:

everyone wants to buy at the lowest prices, and sell at the highest prices, like stock and properties

that's why COE should not be like that, with big fluctuations