COE Bidding – 1st Round of October 2020

Carbon82

There are about 100k more than 10yr cars out there now. Not sure of some are rental or some are owned by phv drivers. But I guess these will be scraped in the coming year.

↡ Advertisement

3 hours ago, Lufu said:

n fact tax should go up even more for COE cars to offset the potential time and productivity lost for everyone else when these old cars breakdown in the middle of the road. 

Give a thought for those who renewed COE or purchased COE cars. 

Who would want to purchase an old car with multiple owners if they could afford new?

There's those who need a car for transportation, to ferry elderly parents and toddlers. There's also may retrenched PMETs who purchased COE cars to drive as private hire after retrenched, to make ends meet. A newer used car is out of their financial means.

Sometimes, there is more to it that meets the eye.

• Praise 2

24 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Volvo showroom relatively empty now on saturday afternoon.  Accompanying someone to check out Volvo.  :D Coffee is good.   @Jamesc

You drink so much of my coffee in the past and never complain.

Now you go my competitor and say theirs is good?

How dare you?

:grin:

image.png.04e2365a8ea9e45d809551cb1a21aa68.png

• Haha! 2

7 hours ago, Lufu said:

I think it's a good move. How many times have we seen a broken down old car on the road which causes massive jam. Recently had one on CTE balestier exit and traffic tail back all the way to Yio Chi Kang. 

Not to mention most of them are not environmentally friendly and blowing out black fumes mostly.

Great policy in my personal opinion. In fact tax should go up even more for COE cars to offset the potential time and productivity lost for everyone else when these old cars breakdown in the middle of the road. 

I don't know what logic of yours is this....it is all depends on the car owners, not on the age of the cars. So you mean a less than 10 year old car with no regular servicing & maintenance will be less likely to breakdown versus a 10 year old car with regular servicing & maintenances?

Since when is the last time I saw cars blowing out black fumes in sg, did you saw it personally or just imagine?

Lastly be careful of what you wish for. If the ruling you mentioned ever comes true, you better pray that your job is able to let you afford new or less than 10 year old cars. Sometime things loop in vicious cycles, not everything is about me, me & me.

• Praise 5

16 minutes ago, Sugimoto said:

I don't know what logic of yours is this....it is all depends on the car owners, not on the age of the cars. So you mean a less than 10 year old car with no regular servicing & maintenance will be less likely to breakdown versus a 10 year old car with regular servicing & maintenances?

Since when is the last time I saw cars blowing out black fumes in sg, did you saw it personally or just imagine?

Lastly be careful of what you wish for. If the ruling you mentioned ever comes true, you better pray that your job is able to let you afford new or less than 10 year old cars. Sometime things loop in vicious cycles, not everything is about me, me & me.

Yeah, agreed. Well said. Many ignoramus around, so best is just to ignore. Hahhaa

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Volvo showroom relatively empty now on saturday afternoon.  Accompanying someone to check out Volvo.  :D Coffee is good.  @Jamesc

20201031_151017.jpg

20201031_150533.jpg

20201031_151850.jpg

No biscuits, fail 😂

• Haha! 5

8 hours ago, Lufu said:

I think it's a good move. How many times have we seen a broken down old car on the road which causes massive jam. Recently had one on CTE balestier exit and traffic tail back all the way to Yio Chi Kang. 

Not to mention most of them are not environmentally friendly and blowing out black fumes mostly.

Great policy in my personal opinion. In fact tax should go up even more for COE cars to offset the potential time and productivity lost for everyone else when these old cars breakdown in the middle of the road. 

I drive a COE car (have 2 in fact) because the depreciation of 6k plus per year for the 230+ horsepower im getting, can't be found in a newer car. 

I service it every 4 months with oil change interval at 5k km to ensure optimum performance, it generally doesn't breakdown and "cause massive jams" and passes the yearly Vicom emissions test (standard set by LTA) and has never emitted any black blue white or whatever colour smoke .

At 11-11.5km/l for 80/20 city/highway driving it's fuel consumption is comparable to any newer car and I don't use any more fuel than a "newer supposedly more environmentally friendly and efficient car".

Tax is already up because there is road tax loading on COE cars (up to 150%) so i don't get what you're whining about. 

And no, I'm not a PHV

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Praise 7

11 hours ago, Lufu said:

1 is a bad trend, and if you use that as a gauge you get very inaccurate results.

Just like @Jamesc making me feel that all MILs on earth are bad because of his 😁.

I see many COE cars on the road and those that break down are sometimes less than 10 years old.

• Haha! 2

17 hours ago, Vinceng said:

Just when you thought COE prices would soften with more quotas set for the next quarter, the brilliant scholars beat you to it by imposing terms that private hire companies' cars must have a 90% pass rate at the compulsory annual inspection just implemented recently

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/private-hire-cars-to-be-sent-for-regular-inspections-with-new-p2p-framework

Pity the car rental companies with 10 year old and above COE renewed cars - suicide case - double whammy.

So now with rental companies set to join in the COE bids to add more new cars to their stable, GOODBYE  low COE prices.

GRAB old car.jpg

Passing car inspections is a piece of cake though, so the 90% is not a hurdle at all.

Most, even cars 10 years and above have 90+% passes upon first inspection. 

All data is on the LTA website and free for all to look at.

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, Brass said:

Passing car inspections is a piece of cake though, so the 90% is not a hurdle at all.

Grab was probably “encouraged” by someone to implement this 12 and then 10 year limit. But then with such a high usage on some of the PHV maybe it’s good that the cap is at 10years. 

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, RH1667 said:

No biscuits, fail 😂

Yah lah cheap coffee with biscuits

beat expensive coffee and no biscuits any day.

:grin:

See see cheap coffee with biscuits more attractive right?

Who see this and don't like?

image.thumb.png.d66489f6058329a784b77fc7ba371e18.png

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 2

Hi Vinceng., thk for for your info . But now they still allow car age not more 12 yrs to drive grab untill July 2022 right? & refer to carmart ads if the phc mkt is good why  I see a lot of very new car on sale eg Vezel, Shuttle , etc . Thk 

COE car demand is usually good if the price is right.  There are a lot of people who needs a family car but cannot afford new cars.

The greatest impact will be on those who are retrenched and looking to rent or buy a COE car to drive PHV.

I think Grab's new requirement should not have effect on the COE bids in the next few months but it should create upward pressure on COE prices from the 2nd half of 2021.

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Wildfaye29 said:

I hope so.

haha sorry i am just joking, better not give other false hope. but hopefully price of COE cars will be soften slightly. 

23 hours ago, Lufu said:

There might be some but do we really see a lot of old cars breaking down on the road to have caused  so many massive traffic jam?  You see cars blowing out black fumes?  you mean the LTA  yearly inspection program is  useless?  Both my cars are 11.5 years on the road but they have never broken down on the road once before. 

12 hours ago, Brass said:

90+% is  total car statistics, grab cars may have a higher failure rate if most of the inspection failure are happening on the grab cars. Common  failure should be on the brake and side slip test  due to brake and wheel alignment. But these are all maintenance problem that can be resolved through proper maintenance,  not a car age problem. I could be wrong if they fail on emission test instead. 

12 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Grab was probably “encouraged” by someone to implement this 12 and then 10 year limit. But then with such a high usage on some of the PHV maybe it’s good that the cap is at 10years. 

Taxi lifespan is 7 years based on 2 shift usage, most grab cars are only used for 1 shift, so the grab car lifespan should be set on 14 years instead. Looks  more like a COE manipulation

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2