Ubi Soup Kitchen Seeks Help To Pack 9,000 Meals A Day, Volunteers & Rice Needed

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Ubi Soup Kitchen Seeks Help To Pack 9,000 Meals A Day, Volunteers & Rice Needed

source: https://mustsharenews.com/soup-kitchen-willing-hearts/

Soup Kitchen Needs Volunteers To Pack 9,000 Meals A Day, Up From 6,500 Before Pandemic

Beyond lost jobs and lower salaries, the Covid-19 pandemic has sadly left more Singaporeans struggling to fulfil basic needs like food. Thankfully, organisations like soup kitchens are around to help, offering regular meals to those in need.

One such soup kitchen is Willing Hearts, which has been working hard to cater to their beneficiaries’ needs through this difficult period.

In a Facebook post today (5 Oct), they shared that they’ve had to provide roughly 2,500 more meals daily since the outbreak, and hence need more help.

Soup-Kitchen-donation-and-volunteer-appe

Appealing to the public’s goodwill, they’re asking for anyone who’s willing and able to contribute in their own ways.

Soup kitchen prepared more meals during pandemic

According to their Facebook post, Willing Hearts prepared about 6,500 meals daily before the Covid-19 pandemic. However, this number rose over the course of the pandemic.

The number has now increased to about 9,000 meals daily, which is an estimated increase of 2,500 meals.

xWilling-Hearts-food-packing.png.pagespe

As a result, the demand for food supplies has also risen, with Willing Hearts using between to 900-1,000kg of rice every day.

Soup kitchen appeals for volunteers and donations

With the number of meals produced for the needy, it is no surprise that more volunteers are needed.

According to their Facebook post, the soup kitchen says that they are especially shorthanded during their weekday 5am slots.

xWilling-Hearts-1.png.pagespeed.ic.drG1p

Understandably, many Singaporeans may not be awake so early in the morning, especially with work or school starting in a few hours.

However, one could consider giving up their morning run once a week to help out at Willing Hearts.

Apply as a volunteer or make donations online

Those interested in volunteering their time to prepare and pack food can sign up via this link. You can choose a date that you’d like to volunteer on and indicate that you’re coming.

xSoup-kitchen-volunteers.png.pagespeed.i

Drivers can also lend their vehicles to a charitable cause by helping out with food deliveries around Singapore.

xSoup-kitchen-drivers.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Y

Kind souls who’d like to donate items or funds can do so via this link, where one can find a list of recommended items to donate.

More information about volunteer roles and dress code can be found at Willing Hearts’ website.

Volunteering your mornings for a good cause

Operating a soup kitchen is no easy task. According to their Facebook page, Willing Hearts operates all year long, distributing food to 40 locations islandwide. With the Covid-19 pandemic, this task has become harder.

Their beneficiaries include the elderly, disabled, low-income families and children with single parents.

xSoup-kitchen-beneficiary.jpg.pagespeed.

If you have the time, do volunteer to help out these vulnerable groups with this soup kitchen.

xSoup-kitchen-volunteers-2-e160189306216

This year has truly shown the best and worst of humanity. But let’s be one of those who offer a helping hand or guiding light to others in these dark times, and give them hope for the path ahead.

Anyone keen on doing donation or volunteering?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 21

Internal Moderator
9 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Thanks for the link. Will donate, and will find some time to help where possible. 🤝

I am thinking of volunteering too. But one person goes down very awkward. haha. 

• Praise 2

perhaps any bro member here who have contact of the wholesale company for these essential items can provide the contact here so that whoever wish to donate can buy at wholesale price and get them to deliver directly to the charity. 

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Drivers can also lend their vehicles to a charitable cause by helping out with food deliveries around Singapore.

Since this is car-oriented forum, we can organize a roster of interested drivers willing to volunteer their time and petrol for delivery purposes. 👍

• Praise 3

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, RH1667 said:

perhaps any bro member here who have contact of the wholesale company for these essential items can provide the contact here so that whoever wish to donate can buy at wholesale price and get them to deliver directly to the charity. 

I have contacts for rice at wholesale price.

• Praise 6

2 hours ago, Windwaver said:

I helped out there before but now health issue cannot do it anymore.

1 hour ago, RH1667 said:

From what I know, there are people who donate truckloads of vege to them. I usually help with unloading donated items and when there's nothing much to do, I also help out with the back-end e.g. pluck vege, etc.

Not sure about meat but I'm a vege person :grin:

• Praise 3

44 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I have contacts for rice at wholesale price.

Please share, i tried to search online, got a few.

And so many different type of rice [crazy]

Hopefully the rice wholesaler can recommend what type of rice. 

• Praise 1

44 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

From what I know, there are people who donate truckloads of vege to them. I usually help with unloading donated items and when there's nothing much to do, I also help out with the back-end e.g. pluck vege, etc.

Not sure about meat but I'm a vege person :grin:

thanks. back problem, so don't think i can do these heavy stuff [sweatdrop]

So, just trying to do what next best i can think of [laugh]

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, RH1667 said:

Please share, i tried to search online, got a few.

And so many different type of rice [crazy]

Hopefully the rice wholesaler can recommend what type of rice. 

I'm not sure if they have a criteria for accepting donations but basic white rice should be good enough.

For those looking to help out (hands on), it's actually quite hectic because there are a few thousand boxes that need to be cooked, packed and delivered daily.

Wear something like dri-fit and very important is your shoes! The floor is quite slippery so make sure your footwear has got plenty of traction.

• Praise 3

5 minutes ago, RH1667 said:

Pluck vege like me loh, now I can't even do that :sick:

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, RH1667 said:

You can deliver meals to home?

34 minutes ago, 13177 said:

You can deliver meals to home?

Honestly dont want to use my car for meal delivery , sorry.

2 hours ago, Count-Bracula said:

My wife been there once and the kitchen is hot and stuffy. Scoop rice until hands lembeh. 

Need to take turns, I pluck vege also until hands lembeh.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1