2G Subaru BRZ and Toyota GT86

inlinesix

2022 Subaru BRZ Will Make Its Debut This Fall

The new rear-wheel-drive sports car should arrive alongside its Toyota 86 twin and will receive an increase in power—possibly from a turbocharged engine.

The Subaru BRZ is getting its first redesign since it debuted in 2012, and Subaru announced on social media that the next generation of the rear-wheel-drive sports car will debut this fall. It also teased a photo of the new car's 10-spoke wheel and said that a few fans got a sneak peek at the 2022 BRZ. We're not sure what this means for the identical Toyota 86, but it should arrive in the same time frame as well.

From spy photos and our renderings of the 2022 Subaru BRZ, we can tell that the next-gen sports car will retain relatively the same shape. The majority of the changes are in the headlights; grille, which will have a honeycomb pattern; taillights; and there will be an integrated lip spoiler in back.

There have been many rumors about what will power the 2022 BRZ, but the consensus is that it will use a version of Subaru's 2.4-liter flat-four. It could be either turbocharged to produce around 260 horsepower or naturally aspirated with around 217 horsepower. It should come standard with a six-speed manual transmission, and if it doesn't, let's just say we'll be disappointed. #SaveTheManuals

After months of speculation, we'll finally learn more about the next-gen car in the coming months. The 2022 Subaru BRZ should arrive in the U.S. sometime next year with a starting price around $30,000.

ejhwnhax0auae8d-1601903784.jpeg.cd54e3d57dff2f29c78983ff96d18ed7.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Internal Moderator
56 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

2022 Subaru BRZ Will Make Its Debut This Fall

The new rear-wheel-drive sports car should arrive alongside its Toyota 86 twin and will receive an increase in power—possibly from a turbocharged engine.

ejhwnhax0auae8d-1601903784.jpeg.cd54e3d57dff2f29c78983ff96d18ed7.jpeg

@SiLangKia Any juicy news? :grin:

16 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Unlikely there will be a tc version. Also unlikely sg will bring in with the fa24. 

Looks like FA24 will replace FA20

Looking at the side profile, seems like just a facelift? The sharp & low nose seems retained and can continue to be the excuse for why turbo cannot be installed... Let's continue to pretend nobody has been able to install a turbo in the 86 yet.

11 minutes ago, Calinlin said:

Looking at the side profile, seems like just a facelift? The sharp & low nose seems retained and can continue to be the excuse for why turbo cannot be installed... Let's continue to pretend nobody has been able to install a turbo in the 86 yet.

The question is whether wide enough to install 

I guess their intention is to do what Honda did with the S2000, up-stroking from 2.0 to 2.2 to improve the torque curve. 

I would think that the previous 2.0 FA20 suits the character of this car better. 

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

I know.

The turbo will be side of the engine 

No, just like the electric oil pump, you didn't get it.

It is a boxer engine, not inline. Stock turbo will be below the engine block, within the width of the engine block. Thus it is the height and not the width. It will be taller even if a fmic is used instead of tmic.

1 hour ago, Calinlin said:

No, just like the electric oil pump, you didn't get it.

It is a boxer engine, not inline. Stock turbo will be below the engine block, within the width of the engine block. Thus it is the height and not the width. It will be taller even if a fmic is used instead of tmic.

Thanks.

I think Subaru turbo is at the back of the engine in btw both bank

Twincharged
16 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Is there any option for legal aftermarket turbo installation in the current BRZ/86 in Singapore?

Get it homologated. Much like how someone paid 10k or more to get the TRD supercharger on the is200 in 2002/3. 
likely to be a long and arduous process. probably will be given the run around by lta. 
IMHO not worth the hassle in the end. The extra money can buy a better car. Also why enrich LTA further. 

Edited by Mkl22

5 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Get it homologated. Much like how someone paid 10k or more to get the TRD supercharger on the is200 in 2002/3. 
likely to be a long and arduous process. probably will be given the run around by lta. 
IMHO not worth the hassle in the end. The extra money can buy a better car. Also why enrich LTA further. 

Yes. Thanks. 

Which is why I'm only interested in *factory legal* forced induction on these cars. 

If the next gen is not factory TC, I'm not interested.

19 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Looks like FA24 will replace FA20

Rumors is that the next Sti will come powered by FA24 pushing alot more ponies than the current gen. The FA20 is still flawed by the weak connecting rods. That's why the current gen STi is still using the EJ25. I hope the next gen Wrx still uses a improved FA20. But looking at the new levorg, im not looking forward to the next WRX/Sti. 

15 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Thanks.

I think Subaru turbo is at the back of the engine in btw both bank

If i remember correctly, its more to the front-left of the bottom of the engine. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1