2G Subaru BRZ and Toyota GT86

inlinesix

29 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

I considered it to be pure 2 seater. The rear seat is substantially worse than Mini

Oh, never sit in Mini before.. OK lah, personally I would consider MX-5 / S2K / Elise / 458 / Huracan pure 2 seaters coz die die can't fit any more than 2 pax unless sit on lap. I sat at the back of the BRZ before, but the driver seat push further in front, just that it's still not comfortable (1.8m / 80kg ish range).

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Hydrocarbon said:

Oh, never sit in Mini before.. OK lah, personally I would consider MX-5 / S2K / Elise / 458 / Huracan pure 2 seaters coz die die can't fit any more than 2 pax unless sit on lap. I sat at the back of the BRZ before, but the driver seat push further in front, just that it's still not comfortable (1.8m / 80kg ish range).

Mini can accomodate any one not taller than 1.6m comfortably.

Did that once to Kluang.

On 11/19/2020 at 7:22 AM, boonhat_91 said:

Maybe I'm the type of person who is resistant to change.. but I still prefer the 1G design. Maybe this will grow on me over time.

The tail lights look a bit like current gen NSX though.

Yalor, the current one like nicer. This one too 370z like.

the front is damn mazda.....but the rear hit it.....engine hmmm.....would have preferred a turbo for easier tuning...but if taking cues of the fd2r track performances mayb it will do....

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Why BRZ has no turbo?  It will too expensive for common ppl in America.

2.4L NA Boxer engine, it a special recipe for today market.

I will prefer it to stay NA actually. But 2.4L SG market the road tax is meh. 😀

The pigu looks like Porsche thou. haha.

• Praise 4

Why cant ppl get the hint?

If Toyota intended to put a turbo they would have done so long ago.

Toyota did give answer to ppl who wanted a turbo. A very sarcastic BMW Supra. Get it?

It's the same reason why the MX-5 dont have a turbo either. Power just isnt everything.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

Why cant ppl get the hint?

If Toyota intended to put a turbo they would have done so long ago.

Toyota did give answer to ppl who wanted a turbo. A very sarcastic BMW Supra. Get it?

It's the same reason why the MX-5 dont have a turbo either. Power just isnt everything.

Mx5 turbo is the fiat 124. 

4 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

2.4L NA Boxer engine, it a special recipe for today market.

I will prefer it to stay NA actually. But 2.4L SG market the road tax is meh. 😀

The pigu looks like Porsche thou. haha.

It's a blasphemy for subaru to put a na engine into their sports coup. 😈

Jokes aside, I'm pretty sure there is some kind of agreement with toyota to stay na as it will create unfair competition if one was to go tc. And no way toyota will agree to put a subaru snail under their bonnet.

Internal Moderator

2022 Toyota 86 Teased before April 5 Joint Debut with Subaru

source: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35939152/2022-toyota-86-release-date/?src=socialflowTW

toyota-subaru-debut-teaser-1616694355.jp

• Toyota and Subaru are planning a joint reveal event on April 5.
  • We think this has to be for the 2022 86 sports car, as it's closely related to the 2022 Subaru BRZ.
  • The debut will be live-streamed online at this link.

A teaser image from Toyota and Subaru promising a joint debut on April 5 could only mean one thing: the 2022 Toyota 86 is nearly ready to greet the world. The second-generation Subaru BRZ has been out for several months, and—despite recent rumors that the Toyota version of this rear-wheel-drive sports car would be delayed in order to further differentiate it from its twin—it appears the 86 is on track to arrive later this year.

Toyota says that the president of its Gazoo Racing division, Koji Sato, will be part of the reveal event a few weeks from now, so we can expect the second-gen 86 to wear the "GR" designation currently affixed to the Supra and the global GR Yaris hot hatch. It's otherwise likely to share its mechanicals with the 2022 BRZ, which has a naturally aspirated 2.4-liter flat-four that makes 228 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque.

A six-speed manual transmission will be standard with a six-speed automatic transmission optional. The 86 should feature a few styling differences compared with the Subaru, but its chassis will be the same, meaning it will be lower, wider, and longer than its predecessor.

Subaru says that the 2022 BRZ will go on sale in the fall of 2021. Given that the Toyota is debuting a few months later, we might expect its on-sale date to be later as well, meaning it might reach dealerships by the end of 2021 or possibly the beginning of 2022.

Exciting days ahead. 🤣

• Praise 1

45 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

toyota_gr_86_29.jpg

The interior look a little "cheap" and messy. 

Maybe the map shown on the infotainment screen plus the digital gauge cluster makes it look messy. I thought it looks quite fuss free.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

The interior look a little "cheap" and messy. 

ok la. buay hiam la

is that a manual stick???😊

(edited)

There's probably not going to be another naturally aspirated, lightweight, RWD, M/T and relatively affordable coupe in the near future. 

I also like that they chose to bore out the FA20 to 2.4L rather than increasing the stroke, to retain the rev-happy character. And oh, that conventional handbrake is much more suited for a car like this, if the driver wants to pull off some handbrake induced shenanigans on the track.

Thanks Toyota & Subaru for trying. 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 4

41 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

There's probably not going to be another naturally aspirated, lightweight, RWD, M/T and relatively affordable coupe in the near future. 

I also like that they chose to bore out the FA20 to 2.4L rather than increasing the stroke, to retain the rev-happy character. And oh, that conventional handbrake is much more suited for a car like this, if the driver wants to pull off some handbrake induced shenanigans on the track.

Thanks Toyota & Subaru for trying. 

Got to define affordable ... cause if its 160 to 170k its not really affordable .. at 14 to 15k depre ... alot of good cars come into view for buyer to choose from ...
Like FK8, Cupra, GTI, i30N & Skoda VRS (probably alot cheaper),  yes these are all FWD but with the current batch all having LSD, torque steer is a thing of the past.

If wana compare RWD ... only got the older bmws like 135i, 140i which the used one are not exactly alot more expensive either. maybe 16 to 18k depre can get. Comes in Stinger which is undoubtedly alot heavier.

Same class ... Only got Miata or the old S2000 AP2 which isn't what ppl demand nowadays due to the tunability of turbos and if not ppl go for the torque of the electrics. like model 3 at 16k depre giving u 3.3sec sprint.

its a great unique segment but the number of folks targeting this cars will be far and few imo. Many ppl will argue that its the drive of the car not the horsepower but sg folks are realistic bunch and the number of 4door GTI sold in singapore VS miata between 2000 to 2020 already proves the point.

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

@Carbon82 I am not sure why you says it is messy.

As sports car, the interior does not distract driver from enjoying the drive

It look messy just at a quick glance. But you are right about the layout, especially for a bread and butter sports car. 

1 hour ago, boonhat_91 said:

Maybe the map shown on the infotainment screen plus the digital gauge cluster makes it look messy. I thought it looks quite fuss free.

I have to agree with you the screen and digital speedo make the interior look a little too "complex" for purist. Upon comparing with other photo, it does look OK actually. 

toyota_gr_86_38.jpg

toyota_gr_86_85.jpg

@Beregond Yes it has a 6 speed manual! [:)]

The evolutionary new 2.4L horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine retains the unique qualities of the 86

Sporting a lightweight, compact engine with a low center-of-gravity in line with previous iterations, the Toyota GR 86 increases its displacement size from 2.0 to 2.4L. The engine delivers superior driving performance as a consequence, achieving 0-100km/h acceleration in just 6.3 seconds-down from the 7.4 seconds of the outgoing model. Engine responsiveness has also been enhanced, providing smooth, stress-free sensations from low to high rpms.

Inheriting an extremely low center-of-gravity front-engine, rear-wheel-drive package, the new GR86 provides a step-change in agility

The dimensions of the new Toyota GR 86 are almost identical to the previous model. Limiting both the overall height and hip-point of the vehicle helps lower the center-of-gravity and enhance turning performance, and so delivering the agility required of an 86.

The use of aluminum for the roof panels results in a lower center-of-gravity, while aluminum fenders and updated front seats and mufflers contribute to reduced weight.

Body rigidity has been improved, with the goal of offering pleasurable handling in all speed ranges-from urban driving to the upper limits of performance. Torsional rigidity has been enhanced by approximately 50% over the previous model for greater steering stability.

Technical specifications

• Length: 4,265 mm
  • Width: 1,775 mm
  • Height: 1,310 mm
  • Wheelbase: 2,575 mm
  • Front track: 1,520 mm
  • Rear track: 1,550 mm
  • Minimum ground clearance: 130 mm
  • Curb weight: 1,270 kg
  • Engine: Horizontally opposed four-cylinder, direct fuel injection and port injection system TOYOTA D-4S
  • Bore x stroke: 94.0 x 86.0
  • Total displacement: 2,387 cc
  • Compression ratio: 12.5
  • Driveline: Rear-wheel drive
  • Transmission: 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission
  • Maximum output: 173 kW (235 PS) @ 7,000 rpm
  • Maximum torque: 250 Nm @ 3,700 rpm
  • Maximum rpm: 7,400 rpm
  • Suspension Front: MacPherson Strut
  • Suspension Rear: Double wishbone
  • Brakes Front: V disk
  • Brake Rear: V disk