4 Generations Of Subaru Impreza WRX Shows Its AWD Evolution

SGCM928

Fans of WRX, hope this summary bring back some fond memories of those days you are driving one.

The Subaru Impreza isn't the most exciting model when it stands on its own. However, the addition of three letters – WRX – or six – WRX STI – changes the game, quickly becoming a formidable performance machine that takes full advantage of Subaru's all-wheel-drive expertise. But the car we have today is a far departure from the Impreza that Subaru introduced nearly 20 years ago.

09oldestasiancarssubaruimprezamin.jpg?re

1st Generation (1992-2000)

the first-generation Impreza WRX and WRX STI are some of the most desirable models today. The stripped-down RA version took things to the extreme with no A/C, anti-lock brakes, or horn. In 1994, Subaru introduced the WRX STI, which took the WRX and further upgraded it.

subaru-impreza-wrx-generations.jpg

2nd Generation (2000-2007)

The second-generation Impreza introduced the controversial "Bug Eye" design while increasing the model's dimensions. The "New Age" Impreza design saw the coupe body style disappear, but it was also the generation that saw the WRX arrive in the US for the first time in 2002. The polarizing styling would go through two revisions before the third-generation model's debut.

2nd Generation (2004 Facelift)

The first facelift attempted to rework the front-end design, eliminating the round "Bug Eye" design only to replace it with what'd be dubbed the "Blob Eye" design, which was an improvement. The WRX model also got a tweaked suspension for improved handling while other small changes were made inside. The 2004 design previewed the next-gen redesign that'd arrive just two years later.

2nd Generation (2006 Facelift)

The second facelift, pulling from the automaker's aviation heritage, introduced the automaker's new corporate face. It was a substantial refresh with new headlights, a new grille, and a new bumper. Subaru fans nicknamed it the "Hawkeye" design. The updated model also saw Subaru replace the WRX's 2.0-liter engine for a larger 2.5-liter one while tweaking the chassis and brakes.

3rd Generation (2007-2014)

The third-generation Impreza further refined the car's design, growing in size again over the outgoing model – it was wider and longer than before. The third-gen also saw Subaru replace the wagon with a five-door hatchback variant. The new WRX was mostly unchanged, carrying over the previous-gen model's engine with a few other changes inside and out.

4th Generation (2014-Present)

The fourth-gen WRX marked a shift for the automaker, removing the WRX and WRX STI models from under the Impreza brand in the US. However, it still shares an overall shape with its former stablemate, though it wears a unique front end and rear quarters. Subaru also introduced the turbocharged 2.0-liter FA20F engine with the WRX. The fifth-gen model is expected to arrive in 2021 or 2022.

Edited by SGCM928
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10

Proud to have had bugeye and cockeye 2nd gen EJ20 WRXs. That's why I won't change my username, it's been with me for the longest time, from the days I was a moderator at WRXFanatics.com (a now defunct US based site). Used the same handle on NASIOC, as well as local sites like RexFactor and SubaruClubsg, with minor variations.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 5

I am old school.

The 2nd Generation looks the best among the rest.  The looks of the other Gens quite CMI. 
Oops.  Sorry.

• Praise 5

2 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

I am old school.

The 2nd Generation looks the best among the rest.  The looks of the other Gens quite CMI. 
Oops.  Sorry.

When I was young we had the 1st gen WRX as a family car for abit, fond memories of it as a kid!

Yes, I like the 2nd gen hawkeye look the best with the frameless doors! Though 1st gen will always have a special place in my heart hahahaha

• Praise 4

6 minutes ago, SiLangKia said:

When I was young we had the 1st gen WRX as a family car for abit, fond memories of it as a kid!

Yes, I like the 2nd gen hawkeye look the best with the frameless doors! Though 1st gen will always have a special place in my heart hahahaha

Come go change your Golf for one. COE WRX should be aplenty. 

Just now, Tohto said:

Come go change your Golf for one. COE WRX should be aplenty. 

Considered really hard before getting the golf as there was one I could get at less than 6K depre/yr , but insurance for someone my age is 3.5k hahahahah , and the road tax for COE car (up to 150%)  cos 2457cc goes to above 2.5k at its maximum , abit hard to stomach at my stage in life haha. 

Right now i pay 1.3k for insurance plus road tax on around 800/year and still get around 220-240 hp with 11km/l fuel consumption (versus 8-9 for WRX) so ok la can't hiam alr.

But one day I'd definitely get a WRX!

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

6 hours ago, SiLangKia said:

Considered really hard before getting the golf as there was one I could get at less than 6K depre/yr , but insurance for someone my age is 3.5k hahahahah , and the road tax for COE car (up to 150%)  cos 2457cc goes to above 2.5k at its maximum , abit hard to stomach at my stage in life haha. 

Right now i pay 1.3k for insurance plus road tax on around 800/year and still get around 220-240 hp with 11km/l fuel consumption (versus 8-9 for WRX) so ok la can't hiam alr.

But one day I'd definitely get a WRX!

WRX for your age group is considered “high risk”.

WRX must get EJ20. 

39 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

WRX for your age group is considered “high risk”.

WRX must get EJ20. 

Yeah my age group considered high risk

I like EJ20 ! But usually for official import can only find it on the auto rex,  spec c or S204 hahahah.

• Praise 2

The EJ20 dunno run for how long. Finally there's an update.

It has a lot of oil/coolant leaking issues and it runs on timing belt that could crack over time. A high maintenance engine cos of its boxer design.

1 hour ago, SiLangKia said:

Yeah my age group considered high risk

I like EJ20 ! But usually for official import can only find it on the auto rex,  spec c or S204 hahahah.

Last iteration of JDM WRX STI got lime green caliper

B5BDC3A1-FB1B-4FDC-AEAB-F0F4D4762CB8.jpeg

• Praise 3

14 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

The EJ20 dunno run for how long. Finally there's an update.

It has a lot of oil/coolant leaking issues and it runs on timing belt that could crack over time. A high maintenance engine cos of its boxer design.

EJ20 finally in Museum

9 hours ago, SiLangKia said:

To me the first gen GC WRX will always be the greatest. So envious.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Last iteration of JDM WRX STI got lime green caliper

B5BDC3A1-FB1B-4FDC-AEAB-F0F4D4762CB8.jpeg

Actually this one can spec for overseas market also hahahah

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

To me the first gen GC WRX will always be the greatest. So envious.

The GC is an amazing machine, saw a sgcm 96' one recently with 6 speed STI transmission swap, was so tempted, but didn't get in the end hahahahahaha

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, SiLangKia said:

The GC is an amazing machine, saw a sgcm 96' one recently with 6 speed STI transmission swap, was so tempted, but didn't get in the end hahahahahaha

I remember this car, I noticed it too.

↡ Advertisement