'Not the time' for environment tax on SIA during crisis, says Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung to WP's Jamus Lim

kobayashiGT

Becos SIA contributes 5% to GDP and is the pride of the nation.  Can understand lah.  

Hyflux? She mo to bu shi.  

property huat ah, thanks to all the support

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Throttle2 said:

Becos SIA contributes 5% to GDP and is the pride of the nation.  Can understand lah.  

Hyflux? She mo to bu shi.  

property huat ah, thanks to all the support

ah gong just throw a few plots of land out for sale

smelly smelly can get few billions liao? lol

but why want to do GLS now ... a pilot say ... now price no good ... cannot liquidate properties, bonds and funds

1 minute ago, Count-Bracula said:

下井落石 also same? 

chinese cannot anyhow rearrange the word ... very jialat hor if got diff meaning ... lol

not like amdk ... yoda can say .... Listen, you must! ... lol

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Wt_know said:

ah gong just throw a few plots of land out for sale

smelly smelly can get few billions liao? lol

but why want to do GLS now ... a pilot say ... now price no good ... cannot liquidate properties, bonds and funds

no need land la, just a few COE cycles can liao. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Just tax everyone flying $10 lah.

Now no one flying no need to worry about the tax lah.

Taxing an airlines means what?

Its taxing the customers lah.

At the end of the day we are paying for it not the airlines.

:grin:

But we must operate on the basis of budget airlines budget tax.

So budget passengers pay $2.

By the way after collect the tax do what with it huh?

Plant new trees or suck the CO2 out of the air and put into canned drinks

OR keep in the reserves?

• Haha! 4

6 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Our transpork ministry dont have double standards but has triple standards when it comes to gas/carbon emissions.

Ships has one standard, no emission tax or carbon tax. They spew out so much black smoke, no problem.

Airplane has its own standard. Like we are seeing here, can change as and when it's time or not.

Cars emitting the least amount of harmful gases compared to ships and airplanes, have all kinds of standard, all the whatever tax applies. 

See how the 3 types of standards apply here?

You run for office, I vote for you :grin:

5 hours ago, Ake109 said:

and 他妈的

anyway, this will be the 4 words for the decade ... no one can beat this one ...

it can be used in all occasion ... all scenario ... all platform ... lol

images.jpeg

• Haha! 2

I think you guys need to seperate between what increase in electricity price, increase in fuel price, increase in don't know what price and etc.. These are seperate issues. So the main issue now is that why want to increase expenses be it SIA or other companies where it does not help environmental issue at all. I mean environmental tax how does it help in environmental? Airlines already retiring Boeing 747, airbus a340 way before covid-19.. Why? With or without environmental tax these airlines will still buy more fuel efficient planes. Also if planes need to fly = need to fly, you guys mean that with environmental tax will encourage airlines to fly less often? Common, if there is demand of coz will fly. So environment tax does not change anything but only increase in operating cost of the airlines. Airlines can increase the cost of ticket and end up cost pass down to consumer or absorb the increase in cost. When airlines absorb the cost then they will have less money to pay staff bonus for example or money to put into other better use. 

And now we are going to have a cruise to nowhere.

@Yewheng I think Jamus Lim's idea of environment tax is targeted at SIA flight to nowhere which is something targeted at the rich who just want to relax as opposed someone who has somewhere to go to.

And I dont agree that it's not the right time to impose this tax.  If there are no passengers, not that many people will be affected.  Also, SIA is burning cash. So either the govt will need to bail them out (which means we are paying for it and it's just not called environment tax) or SIA will need to source for more money.  So this environment tax can be a source of more funding just that as a tax, the government controls the money and can disburse it more judiciously than a private profit oriented company.  If this tax is not implemented and SIA cannot think of new ways to get cash, they will need to be bailed out and we are also going to pay for it, even if we never take a single SIA flight.

And to rub salt to wound, I think the senior management of SIA are still drawing high salaries.

I think OYK is wrong OR there is something he is not saying.  He says it's not the right time to place a tax on SIA flight because of the pandemic.  Fine.  But SIA needs more cash.  So how is it going to be obtained? That is something not mentioned openly IIRC.

It's like I own a restaurant.  There are lesser customers and we have cash flow problems because no one is coming to the shop and the menu is fixed.  So an employee suggests increase the price of the food.  I shoot  back at the employee saying increasing food prices will chase even more customers away.  But I never say so what steps can I take to improve cash flow.  And rent and salary is due....

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

And now we are going to have a cruise to nowhere.

@Yewheng I think Jamus Lim's idea of environment tax is targeted at SIA flight to nowhere which is something targeted at the rich who just want to relax as opposed someone who has somewhere to go to.

And I dont agree that it's not the right time to impose this tax.  If there are no passengers, not that many people will be affected.  Also, SIA is burning cash. So either the govt will need to bail them out (which means we are paying for it and it's just not called environment tax) or SIA will need to source for more money.  So this environment tax can be a source of more funding just that as a tax, the government controls the money and can disburse it more judiciously than a private profit oriented company.  If this tax is not implemented and SIA cannot think of new ways to get cash, they will need to be bailed out and we are also going to pay for it, even if we never take a single SIA flight.

And to rub salt to wound, I think the senior management of SIA are still drawing high salaries.

I think OYK is wrong OR there is something he is not saying.  He says it's not the right time to place a tax on SIA flight because of the pandemic.  Fine.  But SIA needs more cash.  So how is it going to be obtained? That is something not mentioned openly IIRC.

It's like I own a restaurant.  There are lesser customers and we have cash flow problems because no one is coming to the shop and the menu is fixed.  So an employee suggests increase the price of the food.  I shoot  back at the employee saying increasing food prices will chase even more customers away.  But I never say so what steps can I take to improve cash flow.  And rent and salary is due....

The problem is that its only targeted to flight to nowhere and then other flights no environmental tax? When the tax get kick started, I can tell you it will slowly expend. This is how we come about keep paying and paying right? With or without environmental tax will not change anything about flying.. Also at the end of the day sia scrap flight to nowhere. So jamus lim ment to have environmental tax for future flight to nowhere flight? So now cruise to nowhere.. Why not also impose environmental tax for cruise to nowhere too? Ship sailing also pollute the environment.. The idea is that taxation is actually not a good solution to tackle climate change. Coz environmental tax only increase in operating expenses.. If want to tackle climate change.. A better way is to reward or inventive companies who invent more fuel efficient engines, better efficient solar power panel and yet cost less then current technology and etc.. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

IMHO.
If that is the idea,  then I think it will be an idea to no where.   Perhaps the rich wants to try the economy class? 

26 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

IMHO.
If the food cannot command higher price and relies on the mases,  cashflow will be weak and  that will be the likely outcome.
On the contrary that if the food command higher prices,  with everything else fixed,  cash flow will be stronger naturally - unless of course a chunk is consistently being taken away making the cash flow weak. 

E.g. McDonald's.  Why is McDonald's successful ?  Part of the secret could be in it's supply chain.

↡ Advertisement