Would you get the COVID-19 vaccine once it's available?

racerbum

Internal Moderator

TO TAKE THE VACCINE OR NOT

NP_20210122_CCCOVID992T_6279468.jpg.8e6069d0e9384c82de1c20bba7ec29c6.jpg

Covid-19 in Singapore: A year on, recovered virus patient still can't taste or smell

Chinese New Year is traditionally a time of celebration, joy and family visitations.

But for Ms Julie Ong, 54, it is a grim reminder of what she went through a year ago, so much so that she has mixed feelings about this festive season.

On Feb 8 last year, she tested positive for Covid-19 and was announced as Case 38. She was warded at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID) for 10 days.

Before being diagnosed, she attended a Chinese New Year gathering. Her family members and friends who had contact with her were quarantined and eventually tested negative.

Ms Ong told The New Paper: "I was apologetic about the inconvenience I caused. But I was relieved that I didn't infect anyone.

"It has made me more cautious. I won't be doing any visiting because I don't need another 'memorable' Chinese New Year."

Instead, Ms Ong will be going on a cruise with her 75-year-old mother.

A year on, she still avoids large crowds and even small gatherings, other than church services, and she keeps a diary of who she meets for contact tracing purposes.

She suffers from leftover Covid-19 symptoms such as loss of taste and smell but has learnt to live with it.

"It is dangerous when I cannot smell things like gas from the stove, so I have to be more vigilant. I also check my car more regularly to see if anything is wrong," she said.

Ms Ong added that former patients like herself face a stigma because people assume they must have behaved irresponsibly.

"I don't blame them, but the virus doesn't pick and choose. I went about my regular routine and lifestyle, and one day I got it. It can infect anybody."

Ms Ong, who has a 26-year-old daughter, volunteered for NCID's coronavirus research and has had 30 swab tests and five blood tests, giving six to eight tubes of blood each time.

She also "kind of expected" the recent rise in community cases as she thinks people are getting more complacent.

But she noted those who are overly paranoid also cause fear and anxiety in people around them, when all everyone needs to do is follow the rules.

"People don't realise the impact of their actions until they are affected directly," she said.

Ms Ong recalled how she woke up with a slight sore throat last month on the day she had an online job interview.

She admitted she was afraid to see the doctor in case her worst fears were confirmed.

But in the end, she postponed the interview and saw a doctor.

"It can be scary, but I live with my 75-year-old mother. I cannot afford to be irresponsible. So I go for regular checks and if I am not feeling well, I see a doctor. It is the right thing to do," she said.

On vaccines, she is not certain if it is a one-size-fits-all prevention against the virus, and she is still unsure about getting vaccinated as she still has antibodies from her infection to give her some immunity.

On what Singapore should do to curb the rise in community cases, Ms Ong said: "It is really up to the individual. We can go back to phase two, we can start lockdown again or make the rules stricter, but some people will still breach the rules.

"The Government cannot possibly micromanage everyone. Instead, each individual needs to play his or her part to be more responsible and adhere to the rules."

https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/covid-19-singapore-year-recovered-virus-patient-still-cant-taste-or-smell?

I would rather take the vaccine than to lose my sense of taste or smell! Food is life! [flowerface]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9
  • Haha! 2

13 hours ago, inlinesix said:

I already said Almost mah.

There are ppl I know that is reluctant to take vaccine but still take it.

They want to avoid being told "give you priority q to be vaccinated but you choose to skip it.  Now you tio COVID19 lo".

People nowadays very cynical.

You give them hope, they say "why ar, must be something not right, i don't want"
You tell them no hope, they say "zheng hu lao ya, zheng hu cannot deal with the greatest crisis since WW2"
You tell them the truth u either take it when there's stock or they give to next in line, they say "I don't want to believe, i want to believe in fairy tale that there is 16 billion doses of pfizer vaccine already premanufactured and sitting there in warehouse waiting for me to suka suka one day take it when i feel song "

Really laughable our human tendencies. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 8
  • Haha! 2

3 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

You give them hope, they say "why ar, must be something not right, i don't want"
You tell them no hope, they say "zheng hu lao ya, zheng hu cannot deal with the greatest crisis since WW2"
You tell them the truth u either take it when there's stock or they give to next in line, they say "I don't want to believe, i want to believe in fairy tale that there is 16 billion doses of pfizer vaccine already premanufactured and sitting there in warehouse waiting for me to suka suka one day take it when i feel song "

Ya lor.

When govt says no vaccine will be reserved, they say govt sound threatening. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

5 hours ago, Lala81 said:

5 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Ya lor.

When govt says no vaccine will be reserved, they say govt sound threatening. 

I think most people dont know about the expiry dates of medications.  Cos most would only take medications like panadol, high blood pressure meds etc where expiry date can be a year or more away.  So they dont see the rush if the stock is already here.

And of cos there might be lack of education on supply chain. I heard in USA that people actually believe that beef comes from supermarket.  They dont realise there must be a farm, cows etc.  So in the same way, they think medications are from pharmacy.  Just go to pharmacy or clinic and can buy liao.  Only thing needed is cash or credit card.

• Praise 2

1 minute ago, Philipkee said:

I think most people dont know about the expiry dates of medications.  Cos most would only take medications like panadol, high blood pressure meds etc where expiry date can be a year or more away.  So they dont see the rush if the stock is already here.

And of cos there might be lack of education on supply chain. I heard in USA that people actually believe that beef comes from supermarket.  They dont realise there must be a farm, cows etc.  So in the same way, they think medications are from pharmacy.  Just go to pharmacy or clinic and can buy liao.  Only thing needed is cash or credit card.

Some of my friends are like... I think I'm ok if i don't travel. If i don't need to travel, i don't feel the need to take it.
But if it's offered to me (my demographic group), then I'll consider.

Their point is if they were in the UK, USA, they would. But right now, they won't.

It's complacency. But ok lor, human nature.

• Praise 2

12 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

After CNY.  Cos that is when I get second jab.

hokay ... any car accessories or loot items you wanna bequeath to any of us in the event of .... :XD:

on a serious note, post-jab, any activity we are to avoid (eg sports) or food to avoid ?

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/adverse-events-pfizer-biontech-covid-vaccine-moh-133828162.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=wa

Piang eh.....  this news have to come out just 2 days after my first jab.......  I really famous for famous last words

These should be those from the 1st jab. 

Like that how? will they be allowed for 2nd dose? If cannot, then their vaccination is neither here or there, or are they given another one either Sinovac or Moderna?

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/adverse-events-pfizer-biontech-covid-vaccine-moh-133828162.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=wa

Piang eh.....  this news have to come out just 2 days after my first jab.......  I really famous for famous last words

You got buy insurance? Note that they will take responsibility if anything happens to u

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Blueray said:

on a serious note, post-jab, any activity we are to avoid (eg sports) or food to avoid ?

No idea.  But I half thinking if I should drive to get my second jab cos my friend in usa said the tiredness can be really bad.

• Praise 1

14 hours ago, Philipkee said:

No idea.  But I half thinking if I should drive to get my second jab cos my friend in usa said the tiredness can be really bad.

yes, I recall LHL was asked whether he was left handed or right handed before his jab.

17 hours ago, Blueray said:

hokay ... any car accessories or loot items you wanna bequeath to any of us in the event of .... :XD:

Aiyo, you see so far since the started of the jab till now, no reported of any serious side effects le. And some people even went for the 2nd dose of jab liao, all seems well and good?!

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Blueray said:

yes, I recall LHL was asked whether he was left handed or right handed before his jab.

For any jab, usually they would not jab on your master hand. In case if you experience any soreness, pain or any side effects which may effect your daily work on your master hand.

↡ Advertisement