Would you get the COVID-19 vaccine once it's available?

racerbum

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Wt_know said:

yalor ... just mandate la if the vaccine is safe ... and no need to keep telling people the vaccine is "safe"

everything else COE, ERP, ABSD, CPF, GST, ABC, XYZ can mandate chop chop curry pop :D 

Cannot say it's totally safe when we see there are cases of severe allergic reaction lah....[laugh]

↡ Advertisement

40 minutes ago, Lala81 said:
34 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Where got so easy to secure supply. 

EU is screwing with Azn already. 

BBC News - Coronavirus: EU to tighten vaccine exports amid row with AstraZeneca

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55805903

Remember that if trump had won, unlikely we can even smell Pfizer or moderna vaccines. 

blessing in disguise.😆 Slow and steady. By the time the vaccine is available to the mass, we should have more feedback data from Israel and UK.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphylaxis#:~:text=Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic,on over minutes to hours.
Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction that is rapid in onset and may cause death. It typically causes more than one of the following: an itchy rash, throat or tongue swelling, shortness of breath, vomiting, light-headedness, low blood pressure. These symptoms typically come on over minutes to hours.

30min observation period not long enough. Imagine you take the jab, nothing happens in 30mins, you leave the jab venue, drive or take the MRT/bus/PHV and the symptoms kick in or get worse. Happened to me once in Malaysia. Bitten on back of hand by a single ant. Breathing became shallow, became light-headed so lay down on sofa for couple hours before driving back home to Singapore. Saw GP and he said first thing to do is take anti-histamine pills (if the ridiculously expensive EpiPen not on hand) and, if it becomes severe and medical help is not easily available, do DIY emergency tracheostomy -- poke a hole just below Adam's apple, insert a hollow tube (straw, etc)

3 hours ago, Lala81 said:

No. For most, They will find some new thing to justify their fear. 

Not many people use logical reasoning to change their own decisions. Most reasoning is to only justify their base emotion/decision. That applies to everyone and to all decisions. 

Or if something change their base emotion, more fearful of the virus than the vaccine. Basically more cases in Sg, or someone they know tio it. Then they might change their minds. 

That's reality. 

The other day I was talking to a colleague who also got the jab.  She saying dunno why people are so fearful.

I remarked.  I give you a bag  full of pieces of chocolate.  Let's say one hundred.  I let you pick one to eat.  Then I say one of it is poisoned.   Who ever eats it might die or at minimum be hospitalised.  Would you still pick the chocolate or pass the bag?  She mentioned she will pass the bag.

Then I said what if it's a thousand chocolates and one is poisoned.  Would you take the chocolate?

I think that is the mentality of rational people who are fearful of taking the vaccination.  And probably why some people also would rather not take aeroplanes etc etc

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

By then, there might not be vaccine available.

As long as production does not cease, there will ALWAYS be a vaccine available.  You just need to wait.

Of course, knowing Singaporeans, they agree to be vaccinated on Monday, they want the vaccine available on Tuesday....

44 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

We are rich but we have little geopolitical power in this vaccine grab. 

We manufacture pharmaceutical products but not vaccines lol

In short, money is not everything.  A good lesson when we travel to poorer countries. 

3 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Advertising might change their minds. I know someone in the aesthetic business who works with media personalities. 

These people were envious and the doctor suggested he can gather them and wanted to take the vaccines online and do a media drive to promote vaccination.

It can go both ways.  In principle, I agree with this idea but the doctor better be +++ sure none of these media personalities end up with a serious allergic reaction.  Otherwise, it will end up worse than before.

5 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

As long as production does not cease, there will ALWAYS be a vaccine available.  You just need to wait.

Even though production continues, it will not be available for Singapore (looking at Global Demand).

In addition, there are a lot of poorer that is in COVAX program now.

Lastly, the storage cost is very high.

• Praise 1

16 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

The other day I was talking to a colleague who also got the jab.  She saying dunno why people are so fearful.

I remarked.  I give you a bag  full of pieces of chocolate.  Let's say one hundred.  I let you pick one to eat.  Then I say one of it is poisoned.   Who ever eats it might die or at minimum be hospitalised.  Would you still pick the chocolate or pass the bag?  She mentioned she will pass the bag.

Then I said what if it's a thousand chocolates and one is poisoned.  Would you take the chocolate?

I think that is the mentality of rational people who are fearful of taking the vaccination.  And probably why some people also would rather not take aeroplanes etc etc

wrong analogy, basically the bag of chocolate got no poison,, the chance of getting poison is 0%.

question is you duno if you are allergy to chocolate or not, chances is 50-50.

• Praise 5
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

27 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

66 million vaccinated by now and the number of death/ severe allergy reaction is just a handful. 

Of course you can choose not to eat the chocolate but if i tell you if you walk away, you are not protected against possible and permanent loss of taste, smell and lung function in the next 6 months, then you will ask what are the odds of that vs the odds of complications arising from the vaccination exercise. 

Lala is spot on, most people make emotional decision and when it is driven by fear, the maths don't matter.

• Praise 3

16 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

wrong analogy, basically the bag of chocolate got no poison,, the chance of getting poison is 0%.

question is you duno if you are allergy to chocolate or not, chances is 50-50.

It is not 50% too based on 66 million people who have taken the vaccine.

34 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Reframe the question. Tell her it is one heavily laxative laden chocolate (that's the "poison") in a bag of 1000. Picking and eating it will inconvenience her with a few days of diarrhoea. However if she picks out a good chocolate and nothing untoward happens, then a choice of only ten chocolates will be offered to an elderly person in her immediate family, and one of these will have ricin or cyanide. 

That's a closer analogy (I haven't adjusted the figures to be highly representative, this is only an illustrative thought "social" experiment after all) - vaccinating the young and reasonably healthy is primarily to break the chain of transmission and protect the especially vulnerable. 

• Praise 1

21 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

It is not 50% too based on 66 million people who have taken the vaccine.

but to your own body is either you die or dun die,  50-50 [laugh]

• Haha! 2

55 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

66 million vaccinated by now and the number of death/ severe allergy reaction is just a handful. 

Of course you can choose not to eat the chocolate but if i tell you if you walk away, you are not protected against possible and permanent loss of taste, smell and lung function in the next 6 months, then you will ask what are the odds of that vs the odds of complications arising from the vaccination exercise. 

Lala is spot on, most people make emotional decision and when it is driven by fear, the maths don't matter.

How come everyone buy toto is hoping for that 1 in 5-8 million chance. But no one thinks about the 99.9999% u won't win the top prizes? Hahahaha

It's an emotion driven decision.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

EU not happy ah..

knn...own country manufacture vaccine all go out for export, not enough for self.  [laugh]

Coronavirus: EU to tighten vaccine exports amid row with AstraZeneca

The EU has warned it will tighten rules on exports of Covid vaccines, amid a row with AstraZeneca over a cut in planned supplies to the 27-member bloc.

Health Commissioner Stella Kyriakides said the EU "will take any action required to protect its citizens".

Last week, AstraZeneca told the EU it was falling behind on its supply target because of production problems.

The EU has been criticised for the slow rollout of the vaccines, which it buys on behalf of all member states.

The row could also affect supplies to the UK of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine developed by the US and Germany. Pfizer's Belgian plant supplies the UK.

The UK government said it was in "close contact" with vaccine suppliers.

"Our vaccine supply and scheduled deliveries will fully support offering the first dose to all four priority groups by 15 February," a government spokeswoman said.

Inoculation programmes in some EU members have already been slowed due to a cut in deliveries of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, with some nations threatening legal action.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55805903

2 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Chocolate is not really a must have. Sometime of a pleasure. Can give it up  easily if there's a is risk of death.

I love durian so much, and I can give that up easily if someone tells me one of the  pod got  poison. Simply I will not risk death for some pleasure.

Replace chocolate with something almost that is necessary for the family to survive, vs the low risk of death to self..

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

35 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

EU not happy ah..

knn...own country manufacture vaccine all go out for export, not enough for self.  [laugh]

this being said ... smlj trade agreement or open market policy also useless la ... when shits happen ... close border and ban export 

just like when we were shortage of mask ... we have to ship our mask machine back

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

this being said ... smlj trade agreement or open market policy also useless la ... when shits happen ... close border and ban export 

just like when we were shortage of mask ... we have to ship our mask machine back

We have mask production here in 3M factory.

But we can't ban export.

On the other hand, we allow other ppl to sweep our local supply of mask.

The 1 line is not even enough to replenish what we lost during CNY 2020

Now they are pushing everyone taking the vaccine, lets say if a person is covid asymptomatic, will it affect anything if the person go take the covid vaccine le? Will it be better if the person should take the swab test first before vaccine?

↡ Advertisement