why do headunit has a gps? when does it uses it?

rickylah

just curious, why do my pioneer headunit has a gps, yet in kpe sometimes also no accurate signal (using waze).

asking because i connected android auto, using waze and waze doesnt show my correct location if my phone gps is not on. 

havent tried with google map. does the headunit GPS only work for google app?

if waze is relying on my phone gps, why does my headunit has a gps module thingy?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, rickylah said:

just curious, why do my pioneer headunit has a gps, yet in kpe sometimes also no accurate signal (using waze).

asking because i connected android auto, using waze and waze doesnt show my correct location if my phone gps is not on. 

if waze is relying on my phone gps, why does my headunit has a gps module thingy?

My cheapo HU that came with the car, also has GPS. It's pre-loaded with galactio maps. No need connect phone to use the GPS. 

and inside tunnel, no gps got signal...

• Haha! 2

very soon all of our cars will have a display with many features were also useless or superseded by a handphone  ... sorry for going off topic, just couldn't help it 

• Haha! 2

im using pioneer z9250bt, the thing is no pre loaded map ma.

so my phone off the gps, the waze app on my HU also doesnt display correct location. abit funny. 

thinking if its even any use, or its to boost the gps signal only if i on my phone GPS? 

2 hours ago, rickylah said:

I know I know, beside in the tunnel no GPS signal.  You must be able to SEE the sky to get accurate GPS.  In BUILD UP area. like CBD, ONLY a portion of the sky is unblocked.  DOP is high. So also NOT so accurate.

Go google GPS DOP.

Anyway, BESIDE GPS, most nav software app ALSO GET Positioning by 3G and 4G network.  3G  ~+/-25 to 50m resolution while 4G 1~2m at times (Need to check, forgot).  YAP, ISD know WHERE U R one.

Even enterprise grade WiFi have such feature as they are MESHed.....

The replies here are getting bit confusing.

TS connected AA, so the AA apps used will always be relying on the phone's connection, nothing to do with HU or its GPS.

Just like on AA, if I use TuneIn to listen to radio and if mobile data has no signal, it will break too regardless if HU has mobile data sim.

HU should be using its GPS when the HU's navigation is used.

48 minutes ago, badlammy said:

The replies here are getting bit confusing.

TS connected AA, so the AA apps used will always be relying on the phone's connection, nothing to do with HU or its GPS.

Just like on AA, if I use TuneIn to listen to radio and if mobile data has no signal, it will break too regardless if HU has mobile data sim.

HU should be using its GPS when the HU's navigation is used.

AA is using phone signal to triangulate location?  

i thought it is GPS, otherwise Waze should continue to work in tunnel so long as you have at least 4G reception (above or below ground).

12 hours ago, Apple-Tree said:

I know I know, beside in the tunnel no GPS signal.  You must be able to SEE the sky to get accurate GPS.  In BUILD UP area. like CBD, ONLY a portion of the sky is unblocked.  DOP is high. So also NOT so accurate.

Go google GPS DOP.

Anyway, BESIDE GPS, most nav software app ALSO GET Positioning by 3G and 4G network.  3G  ~+/-25 to 50m resolution while 4G 1~2m at times (Need to check, forgot).  YAP, ISD know WHERE U R one.

Even enterprise grade WiFi have such feature as they are MESHed.....

No la. All cellular has accuracy of 50-100m. 

• Praise 1

25 minutes ago, badlammy said:

It's the apps not AA. Below is FAQ of Waze.

Why so confusing haiyo....

Screenshot_20201011-124226_Waze.jpg

Yes, it is the Apps, AA is just an interface. 

It is GPS mainly lah.

• Praise 2

For a headunit to be certified to support Apple CarPlay it is a must to have built in GNSS especially for wireless CarPlay. 
cause the phone can be in a bag or placed under the dash in the wireless charger. These locations will have poor GNSS reception. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

8 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

No la. All cellular has accuracy of 50-100m. 

I thought already pico cell liao.  Did not heavily RD this lor.

In tunnel, this is the ONLY way ba.   Dead Reckoning is so yesterday.

Internal Moderator
On 10/10/2020 at 9:21 PM, rickylah said:

If you are using android auto, then your GPS signal is coming from your phone, your headunit just mirror the infomation of your phone to the headunit.

Some of the headunit are preloaded with gps map. So they need a GPS antenna to use on the map. Nowadays, everyone use applecarplay and android auto le, so this is getting redundant now.

On 10/10/2020 at 9:21 PM, rickylah said:

I was also wondering why pioneer included a GPS receiver when the headunit itself does not come with any built-in GPS maps. 

Does Android Auto or Apple Carplay somehow utilize the headunit's GPS receiver?

↡ Advertisement