Can I COMPLAIN about all the new BMWs?

Ake109

NO IT IS NOT ABOUT THE GRILLES...

So I drive an older model BMW, the old NBT evo era. Very dinosaur compared to the Audi virtual dash generation which already a few years old.

Pics of the new 1/3 etc interior look much better leh.

Kaypoh, went down to PML, near the entrance are the cheaper 1/2 series. Sat inside, like much nicer than my little car. But wait...

Whaddafug, they changed the 8 individual memory buttons into ONE SINGLE piece. When press the whole long strip moves, feel so cheapo.

TMD must be base model cost savings, surely the 3 not like dis. 

Go to the 3, walan eh, still 1 piece, even the drive mode select is now 1 single piece trying to look like 3 instead of individual or rocker style button. Press liao feel so cheapo.

TMD, leave the peasant section go 2nd floor for the higher bracket models surely better hor.

Go 2nd floor, ignore the M135 walk straight to 8 series.

Whaddafug, its the exact same piece from the 1 series. And the cubby hole cover, is really taobao plastic quality. 

This penny pinching cost saving culture is really spoiling the whole 'premium car' experience.

Edited by Ake109
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 8

25 minutes ago, Soya said:

First time i hear ppl comprain abt 1 button........lol

Its not just about changing 8 previous buttons into 1 new button. The single button still takes up the same real estate as the previous 8 but is 1 single piece like all 8 glued together. The tactile feel is totally cheap when you press it since the whole strip moves.

Imagine any car out there with their say 3 to 20 buttons. Now imagine all 20 buttons are one big piece with 20 different marks/signs on them. Pressing 1 sign/mark would move the whole piece and just spoils the tactile feedback.

I am imagining from a production cost viewpoint, beyond the parts cost, paying a German worker to install 1 button instead of 8 is cheaper (and easier to argue with the unions on the job simplicity) and this part might be the main motivator instead of part cost.

30 minutes ago, Soya said:

BMW not so bad one button replaces 3.- Audi uses one screen to replace all the buttons. New gen of Mercs too.

• Praise 5

12 minutes ago, Ake109 said:

Its not just about changing 8 previous buttons into 1 new button. The single button still takes up the same real estate as the previous 8 but is 1 single piece like all 8 glued together. The tactile feel is totally cheap when you press it since the whole strip moves.

Imagine any car out there with their say 3 to 20 buttons. Now imagine all 20 buttons are one big piece with 20 different marks/signs on them. Pressing 1 sign/mark would move the whole piece and just spoils the tactile feedback.

I am imagining from a production cost viewpoint, beyond the parts cost, paying a German worker to install 1 button instead of 8 is cheaper (and easier to argue with the unions on the job simplicity) and this part might be the main motivator instead of part cost.

Perfectly understand your frustrations.

Actually luxury is a lot about all these little touches that make it feel special and that extreme effort is put in the design.

However, I feel that many auto-makers esp the Germans and koreans now believe (and not wrong) that most of their buyers place more value on having many stitching  patterns on their seats, high-resolution LCD screens for everything and rainbow color interior lighting strips. That's where the money and development effort is going into, not into making each button feel bomb-proof.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

BMW not so bad one button replaces 3.- Audi uses one screen to replace all the buttons. New gen of Mercs too.

Fingerprint magnets

1 hour ago, Ake109 said:

Becoz many CMI car reviewers like to make useless comments like 'controls very cluttered', 'too many buttons', 'a button fetish', yada yada yada....

So car designers try n show how clever they are by designing it to be minimalistic. Land up have to press the screen to pull up main menu, press again to access a function, press again to access the menu, then scroll down that menu and click on rotary dial to select sub menu, then rotate dial to make selection, then click on rotary dial again to confirm, then press screen again to return to main menu......knn

When all that was needed is a single dedicated button to execute the command

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

The 

1 hour ago, Ake109 said:

Can you imagine seeing the same part on Mini?
BMW Mini interior design has always been quirky.

Current Gen interior really CMI

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

They should replace the steering wheel with a screen too. Since most people stare at their phone when driving anyways.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 9

2 hours ago, Soya said:

Lust time we also complained about wowo flakey turned sticky buttons...hokay that’s plural...

I know what exactly you are talking about!

It's just like my friend who used to have 6 or 8 pack and now he has ONE fat pack.

Whoa lau....disgusting siah.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 9

I thought the new generation BMW interior looks great. Are you referring to the preset buttons 1 to 8? I don't see a big issue and have never think of them as low quality. 

Below is the interior of the new 3 series. Do the 8 buttons bother you so much?

3-Series-interior-dash-1.thumb.jpg.a20c0c889d909292355a92894a93a343.jpg

And I think the 8 series is even better. The inside is plush and all the touch-points are soft. Great package.

8-Series-interior-dash.thumb.jpg.7b9116670e804cc14115766df9466386.jpg

• Praise 1