Can I COMPLAIN about all the new BMWs?

Ake109

5 hours ago, Weez911 said:

I thought the new generation BMW interior looks great. Are you referring to the preset buttons 1 to 8? I don't see a big issue and have never think of them as low quality. 

Below is the interior of the new 3 series. Do the 8 buttons bother you so much?

And I think the 8 series is even better. The inside is plush and all the touch-points are soft. Great package.

You will notice that its not just the 8 buttons. Many other buttons have been physically combined into a bigger piece. It spoils the tactile feel. Which is annoying since the new cabins are overall nicer as you noted.

↡ Advertisement

2 minutes ago, Ake109 said:

You will notice that its not just the 8 buttons. Many other buttons have been physically combined into a bigger piece. It spoils the tactile feel. Which is annoying since the new cabins are overall nicer as you noted.

I especially don’t like hazard light button in current lineup.

Need finesse to press it. That’s not possible in an Emergency 

• Haha! 1

19 hours ago, Soya said:

Becoz many CMI car reviewers like to make useless comments like 'controls very cluttered', 'too many buttons', 'a button fetish', yada yada yada....

So car designers try n show how clever they are by designing it to be minimalistic. Land up have to press the screen to pull up main menu, press again to access a function, press again to access the menu, then scroll down that menu and click on rotary dial to select sub menu, then rotate dial to make selection, then click on rotary dial again to confirm, then press screen again to return to main menu......knn

When all that was needed is a single dedicated button to execute the command

Which is why fighter jet and even commercial aircraft cockpits still have hundreds of switches and buttons. Give them bloody idrive or MMI sure more accidents.

• Praise 1

59 minutes ago, Ake109 said:

My "tactile" feel is different from yours. I'm not sure if this kind of thing is supposed to be subjective but the new interior are much more solid overall and less plastic-ky to touch than the older beemers. I enjoy the modern cabin more.

Of course, it is your prerogative to buy a car you like. Which car has impressed you recently which has prompted you to buy?

1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

My "tactile" feel is different from yours. I'm not sure if this kind of thing is supposed to be subjective but the new interior are much more solid overall and less plastic-ky to touch than the older beemers. I enjoy the modern cabin more.

Of course, it is your prerogative to buy a car you like. Which car has impressed you recently which has prompted you to buy?

Good to complain more....too many BMWs on the road also sianz, servicing can shorten recovery time.

On 10/17/2020 at 3:38 PM, inlinesix said:

I especially don’t like hazard light button in current lineup.

Need finesse to press it. That’s not possible in an Emergency 

hazard lights now auto activated on e brakes or abrupt stop or even fast U turn at 70kmh

Only time u press is when you doing parking or tarpoa and park illegally at double yellow line.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

Too many buttons ppl complain looks like 80s/90s. Now everything shift to digital with minimal buttons, ppl complain. 

Maybe we have the right to complain cause of the crazy prices we pay here in sg. 

• Haha! 4

16 hours ago, ferrytales said:

Too many buttons ppl complain looks like 80s/90s. Now everything shift to digital with minimal buttons, ppl complain. 

Maybe we have the right to complain cause of the crazy prices we pay here in sg. 

now everyone use voice control. Where is the need for buttons, unless your singlish catch no ball by the headunit LOL

• Praise 1

On 10/21/2020 at 10:10 AM, Sdf4786k said:

now everyone use voice control. Where is the need for buttons, unless your singlish catch no ball by the headunit LOL

Not me. Always felt more buttons = better.

Voice control nice sometimes but will never beat the speed of a dedicated button.

• Praise 2

On 10/20/2020 at 5:59 PM, ferrytales said:

Usually we can ignore them.  Maybe they do not drive a bmw afterall?

I think there is some truth about the button tactile feel. I drive a F20 currently and i really don't like the feel of pressing the ">" button on the dashboard to skip tracks or radio station.

It feels like when i press the ">" button, the "<" button also got dragged along. Why can't they just simple decouple these buttons?

I thought its because my F20 is the lowest and cheapo car, so no issues. But knowing this is evident even on the high end BMWs, yes - not acceptable to me.

On 10/20/2020 at 5:59 PM, ferrytales said:

Ya, i've seen many complaints about too little buttons and too much buttons. but after seeing many reviews and complaints, it seems to boil down to people wanting physical buttons just for frequently used controls like fan, temperature, radio shortcut keys etc. The rest of the fancy stuffs can go into the screen.

But some manufacturers are taking way all these frequently used buttons and planting them into the touch screen consoles... some even buried within multiple layers of interface 😓 

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, Rickster said:

Ya, i've seen many complaints about too little buttons and too much buttons. but after seeing many reviews and complaints, it seems to boil down to people wanting physical buttons just for frequently used controls like fan, temperature, radio shortcut keys etc. The rest of the fancy stuffs can go into the screen.

But some manufacturers are taking way all these frequently used buttons and planting them into the touch screen consoles... some even buried within multiple layers of interface 😓 

agree i will also prefer my car to have a few buttons for the common functions such as volme/aircon/radio. 

• Praise 1

I have owned cars where it is really minimalistic with hardly any real buttons (e.g. Volvo SPA vehicles) to the other spectrum where there are rows of buttons (e.g. Porsche) and I must say that I find the number of buttons on a BMW about right for my liking. However, I do not disagree about the lack of tactile feel with the buttons on BMW especially with the latest iDrive 7 controller - they just don't click but thank goodness the good-old dial is still there for me to use.

Edited by Wolfverine
  • Praise 3

8 hours ago, Rickster said:

I think there is some truth about the button tactile feel. I drive a F20 currently and i really don't like the feel of pressing the ">" button on the dashboard to skip tracks or radio station.

It feels like when i press the ">" button, the "<" button also got dragged along. Why can't they just simple decouple these buttons?

I thought its because my F20 is the lowest and cheapo car, so no issues. But knowing this is evident even on the high end BMWs, yes - not acceptable to me.

There are 2 other ways to change tracks - from the centre knob and from the steering wheel. Never had issues changing songs. For stations, there are also the 8 preset buttons to select directly, other than the centre knob and steering wheel. Never had issues changing radio station also. There are so many ways to perform such a simple task, why take the hardest < > way?

Edited by Weez911

(edited)
9 hours ago, Rickster said:

Eh, when you press the > on the F20, only the < gets dragged along. When you press the 4 on the F40, the 1,2,3,5,6,7,8 gets dragged along.

Edited by Ake109
  • Shocked 2

12 hours ago, Weez911 said:

There are 2 other ways to change tracks - from the centre knob and from the steering wheel. Never had issues changing songs. For stations, there are also the 8 preset buttons to select directly, other than the centre knob and steering wheel. Never had issues changing radio station also. There are so many ways to perform such a simple task, why take the hardest < > way?

Personal preference to use the < and > way. Maybe that is why BMW created multi ways we can choose to skip tracks. 

I've to say it's not a serious flaw or anything, but c'mon BMW...

↡ Advertisement