Nearly 1,000 households in Tengah sign up for centralised cooling system

Ysc3

IMHO.
The question remains now is how much is the usage cost and whether is it based on kWh.
I hope the charges are "reasonable" as solar energy is free. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
The question remains now is how much is the usage cost and whether is it based on kWh.
I hope the charges are "reasonable" as solar energy is free. 

solar panel is not free.

On the news I see the nice side Can save $$$, Save energy, More Efficient, environment friendly.

SP Group declined to reveal the exact cost of the CCS but said residents could save around 15 to 20 per cent on upfront costs compared with current market rates

I think the rate will not be fixed rate with a minimum  charge even with no usage with contract period.

Anyway such cooling method is not a new concept what is new is the solar supply.

Next time after 20 -50 yrs if less ppl use the may end up like the following article. The BTO applicants will be 70s? 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/condo-mc-gets-nod-from-court-to-remove-cooling-towers

Edited by Boxster

Just now, Windwaver said:

What if the centralized chillers fail?

All die of heat stroke?

FAQ ->

How does the quality and performance of centralised cooling compare with split unit air-conditioning systems?

In split unit air-conditioning systems, each indoor unit is served by one condenser. If that condenser malfunctions, you will not be able to turn on your aircon. In comparison, for centralised cooling chiller plants, they are interconnected for efficiency and redundancy. When one chiller plant is down, the rest will still function with sufficient capacity and continue serving all residents.

IMHO.
"cold-stroke" maybe more likely. 🤣

1 hour ago, Stratovarius said:

A cooling tower is more efficient and cheaper to cool air in large open spaces and not individual pigeon holes of our HDB. Looking at the photos, seems that there will be alot of pipes running in closed loop and no redundancy. If the pipes are shut off, all will be affected. Also,  cooling towers are harder and more expensive to maintain/replace.

I can understand the piping issue but isn't this the same as bringing piped water to each unit?  

Don't understand the part about maintenance if you are running this on a district basis?  This is tried and tested in Singapore and many countries and according to scientific studies, a lot more efficient.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705817350026

I am no expert but just wondering if during super peak period on a super hot day, will system overload and underperform? 

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
28 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

What if the centralized chillers fail?

All die of heat stroke?

Own home units also will spoil ... but never hear ppl die also... 

Spoil.. Repair lor.... Not say cannot repair one... And if they don't already have a contingency plan,  then they are just asking for trouble even before starting. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

For potential 15-20% cheaper, I'd skip. With other hidden costs, it may be higher. Not only you need to pay for electricity to run the blowers, you also need to pay for chilled water supply. 

If touted as > 50% cheaper, can consider lah. Anything lower, stick to your old trusted tradition.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Basic principle on piping is : shorter the better to minimize temperature loss making its way to the blower. Those staying upper floors near the centralized cooling gets coldest breeze. Those at the lower floors less cold. So does everyone pay the same for similar usage hours? Ask SP.

3 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

For potential 15-20% cheaper, I'd skip. With other hidden costs, it may be higher. Not only you need to pay for electricity to run the blowers, you also need to pay for chilled water supply. 

If touted as > 50% cheaper, can consider lah. Anything lower, stick to your old trusted tradition.

IMHO.
In the website,  seems that all cost are hidden.
If charge by the usual kWh,  probably it is > 50% cheaper ... for them.  😀

8 minutes ago, Didu said:

Basic principle on piping is : shorter the better to minimize temperature loss making its way to the blower. Those staying upper floors near the centralized cooling gets coldest breeze. Those at the lower floors less cold. So does everyone pay the same for similar usage hours? Ask SP.

IMHO.  Unless the inlet and outlet are different paths. 

Twincharged
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

Yup... This will be the decision maker for me also... But no mention of how the billing works. 

I can live with the setup ...just need to make a bigger box to cover the piping and it's fine! 

Edited by Ysc3

Just now, Ysc3 said:

Yup... This will be the decision maker for me also... But no mention of how the billing works. 

I can live with the setup ...just need to make a box to cover the piping and it's fine! 

Better check if can cover up the piping in the first place. 

Supercharged
6 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Own home units also will spoil ... but never hear ppl die also... 

Spoil.. Repair lor.... Not say cannot repair one... And if they don't already have a contingency plan,  then they are just asking for trouble even before starting. 

Every piece of equipment also have lifespan. SP will tell you E.g. Cooling modules - 10yrs; Solar panel - 5 yrs; piping -...etc

So maybe initial 10 years all maintenance + warranty included into initial setup cost to attract residents onboarding. After 10 yrs, SP'll show you :

Option 1 : System replacement cost (newer more efficient setup)

Option 2 : System overhaul cost (Same model with new parts)

Option 3 : Extended maintenance cost (Everything same but parts replacement when spoil at best effort basis)

AGM for all residents to discuss and vote on option and course of action. Argue here argue there. 天都亮了  [laugh]

Supercharged
22 minutes ago, Didu said:

Every piece of equipment also have lifespan. SP will tell you E.g. Cooling modules - 10yrs; Solar panel - 5 yrs; piping -...etc

So maybe initial 10 years all maintenance + warranty included into initial setup cost to attract residents onboarding. After 10 yrs, SP'll show you :

Option 1 : System replacement cost (newer more efficient setup)

Option 2 : System overhaul cost (Same model with new parts)

Option 3 : Extended maintenance cost (Everything same but parts replacement when spoil at best effort basis)

AGM for all residents to discuss and vote on option and course of action. Argue here argue there. 天都亮了  [laugh]

either they will only ask those who sign up/using to split the cost (if not many, then each share cost much higher),

else just take money from Service & Conservancy Charges, ie. you end up paying for it even though you didn't sign up! 😅

• Praise 2

Upfront save 20%, just take lah. Can switch if the maths don't add up as the system ages.  Why think until head pichar? 

For SP and EMA to invest so much money and push for adoption, surely a lot of people have done the maths.  If wrong, just pay $400 and switch.  People like me want it also don't have and here we have so many negative comments.

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

37 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

I can understand the piping issue but isn't this the same as bringing piped water to each unit?  

Don't understand the part about maintenance if you are running this on a district basis?  This is tried and tested in Singapore and many countries and according to scientific studies, a lot more efficient.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705817350026

I am no expert but just wondering if during super peak period on a super hot day, will system overload and underperform? 

It's not the same. Chill water runs in a closed loop system. Water is always moving as opposed to the PUB water. So any air bubbles or smudge then its a PITA to rectify. It maybe fine for the first 5 to 7 years. After that, the water will degrade and problems will surface. And flushing the system pipes is not very environment friendly. 

Maintenance cost of a bigger system is definitely more than your system 5 at home. If there are 1000 subscribers, the cost will be distributed equally. But it will not be fair for those who subscribe, but uses less than others to pay for maintenance. If you use our own AC system, you will have at least have the flexibility to do your own maintenance. Im just skeptical about the article mentioning lower cost as i see alot of hidden costs not make known to consumers.

The system will not underperform if they size it correctly and there will usually have a generous buffer when designing the system. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3