Nearly 1,000 households in Tengah sign up for centralised cooling system

Ysc3

11 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Upfront save 20%, just take lah. Can switch if the maths don't add up as the system ages.  Why think until head pichar? 

For SP and EMA to invest so much money and push for adoption, surely a lot of people have done the maths.  If wrong, just pay $400 and switch.  People like me want it also don't have and here we have so many negative comments.

From the pic, seems that you need to run the chill water pipe from the riser to your AC unit. If switch, u need to dismantle all the pipes back to the riser. Good luck if you do your reno swee swee wilth all the box up to cover the pipping. 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

55 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

It's not the same. Chill water runs in a closed loop system. Water is always moving as opposed to the PUB water. So any air bubbles or smudge then its a PITA to rectify. It maybe fine for the first 5 to 7 years. After that, the water will degrade and problems will surface. And flushing the system pipes is not very environment friendly. 

Maintenance cost of a bigger system is definitely more than your system 5 at home. If there are 1000 subscribers, the cost will be distributed equally. But it will not be fair for those who subscribe, but uses less than others to pay for maintenance. If you use our own AC system, you will have at least have the flexibility to do your own maintenance. Im just skeptical about the article mentioning lower cost as i see alot of hidden costs not make known to consumers.

The system will not underperform if they size it correctly and there will usually have a generous buffer when designing the system. 

Thanks for sharing.

If cost goes up, more people will drop off from the scheme and SP will lose money? Don't read like the system belongs to town council. 

51 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

From the pic, seems that you need to run the chill water pipe from the riser to your AC unit. If switch, u need to dismantle all the pipes back to the riser. Good luck if you do your reno swee swee wilth all the box up to cover the pipping. 😂

I thought options are given to owners to use district cooling or individual units? So the set up has to accommodate that for all residents?  No?  

That would be stupid of the authority. 

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Yewheng said:

It is maybe beneficial for those who use aircon long hours or on 24-7.. Not for those who on aircon for a few hours each day only.. 

diesel vs petrol lor...

• Praise 1

Ya, I feel that government should not kay kiang go what centralised cooling system. Let individuals decide whether they want air con.. If want they go install their own unit... Like someone said maintenance cost might be an issue for centralised system.. Later end up more expensive how? 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Haha! 2

58 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

I thought options are given to owners to use district cooling or individual units? So the set up has to accommodate that for all residents?  No?  

That would be stupid of the authority. 

Im not sure how this option works but i assume it will be similar to the cooking gas method. Like if you opt for the city gas, the guys will come over to pull the gas pipe from your riser to your cooking hob. Similarly, if you opt for this central cooling system, HDB will get some guy to pull the water pipe from the riser to your house where your AC will be. Dunno what will happen if you opt out after. Maybe you need to remove the pipe back to the riser. or you can leave the existing pipes and but install new ones to a compressor. Either way, it's gonna be a mess. 

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Upfront save 20%, just take lah. Can switch if the maths don't add up as the system ages.  Why think until head pichar? 

For SP and EMA to invest so much money and push for adoption, surely a lot of people have done the maths.  If wrong, just pay $400 and switch.  People like me want it also don't have and here we have so many negative comments.

Eh.... your $400 comes from where one ? 

7 hours ago, Albeniz said:

I stay in the west side.

Are you sure?

Loud and noisy F16 flying off and landing at Tengah.  Danger of air pollution from industrial sites in Tuas area etc.

Tuas is damn far from jurong east or west housing estate. 

Basically  i never  kenna any air pollution in my jurong  west flat.

Smell from coca indeed have once  in a while

25 minutes ago, Kklee said:

Eh.... your $400 comes from where one ? 

Read somewhere. I think a resident asked. Think it is a service fee to disconnect.  

Like Citygas, to decommission, you have to pay to turn it off.

Can't be a lot of money to turn off a switch. 

53 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Im not sure how this option works but i assume it will be similar to the cooking gas method. Like if you opt for the city gas, the guys will come over to pull the gas pipe from your riser to your cooking hob. Similarly, if you opt for this central cooling system, HDB will get some guy to pull the water pipe from the riser to your house where your AC will be. Dunno what will happen if you opt out after. Maybe you need to remove the pipe back to the riser. or you can leave the existing pipes and but install new ones to a compressor. Either way, it's gonna be a mess. 

Not sure about old HDB but shouldn't the pipes to all the fancoils starts at a centralised location for the new BTO? 

The design should have allowed a place for the compressors? 

Internal Moderator
7 hours ago, Albeniz said:

And don't forget

East ppl also have that GREAT EAST COAST PLAN ok?

Oh yes! EAST SIDE BEST SIDE, EAST SIDE BEST SIDE!

east-coast-plan-heng-swee-keat-general-e

7 hours ago, Didu said:

This centralised cooling system reminds me of the tale of the cooling tower in 2017.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/hot-and-bothered-over-condos-cooling-towershttps://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/hot-and-bothered-over-condos-cooling-towers

In the beginning, the new feature was so attractive to the home buyers. Everyone can chill with minimal cost. Liang liang gao Jurong  🎅 It's only years later when the expensive maintenance/repair cost starts to surface. Even dismantle cost a bomb. 💸 The ensuing court case was expensive and did not serve the residence well. Sharing facility may look good initially, but may come back to haunt you later because not all you neighbor think the same way.

For the Tengah's project, I think the residents are at the mercy of HDB and its appointed contractors rather than the neighbours. Leonie Towers is after all a private condo. Tengah residents who subscribed to this aren't told exactly of all the costs upfront as well.

Daikin Singapore probably stand to huat big time if subscribers are substantial, especially if the replacement parts are proprietary. Anyway, this serves as a pilot project for future BTOs. If it doesn't work, then it will simply go the way of DBSS. 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged
11 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

For the Tengah's project, I think the residents are at the mercy of HDB and its appointed contractors rather than the neighbours. Leonie Towers is after all a private condo. 

It isn't cheap as well, as Tengah residents who subscribed to this are told of all the costs upfront. Daikin Singapore probably stand to huat big time if subscribers are substantial, especially if the replacement parts are proprietary. 

The thread title says almost 1000 signed up liao. Since HDB announced it, it's most likely be deployed on majority of the Tengah flats to let residents opt in. 

Daikin sure to huat. 🤑

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

Not sure about old HDB but shouldn't the pipes to all the fancoils starts at a centralised location for the new BTO? 

The design should have allowed a place for the compressors? 

Again, based ony assumption, the cooling towers will be placed on the roof of the hdb. The main chill water pipe from the cooling tower will run through the floors through the riser. If you opt in the service, they will run the pipes into your house. The pipes will then tie in to your ac unit replacing the need for the compressor.

The new bto will still have the ac ledge for your compressor if you wish to set up the traditional ac system. Basically, the centralized system will replace the ac compressor.

I think that's how the system works.

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Read somewhere. I think a resident asked. Think it is a service fee to disconnect.  

Like Citygas, to decommission, you have to pay to turn it off.

Can't be a lot of money to turn off a switch. 

Ah.... ok.  Thanks.

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Again, based ony assumption, the cooling towers will be placed on the roof of the hdb. The main chill water pipe from the cooling tower will run through the floors through the riser. If you opt in the service, they will run the pipes into your house. The pipes will then tie in to your ac unit replacing the need for the compressor.

The new bto will still have the ac ledge for your compressor if you wish to set up the traditional ac system. Basically, the centralized system will replace the ac compressor.

I think that's how the system works.

Based on my reading, there won't be one cooling tower in each block. In Marina Bay area, they have 3 plants that covers the whole of MBS, MBFC, etc.  This only works if there is scale.

Ok. If there is an aircon ledge, then just piped the main DC pipe to the aircon ledge area. If it is no longer economical, just disconnect and buy a few compressors to take over. Should be able to use the same piping to the fancoil, i presume. Why need to run new pipes.  Sorry, i am a noob on such matters, just trying to learn something here. 

↡ Advertisement