Nearly 1,000 households in Tengah sign up for centralised cooling system

Ysc3

20 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

What happens if some siao lang cuts the pipes in his home? Would all the chilled water leaks away? 

i'm sure got valves to cut off.

2 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

I read that it is using chilled water as the cooling agent. As cool as those use in our house?

chilled water system is much much more efficient and cheaper refrigerant. you don't need high and low pressure pipes running. all commercial buildings run on chilled water system.

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, mikk123 said:

is it like a centralized cooling system? will virus passing through the system and affect all the users? 

the water in the system is sealed.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
57 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

I stay in the west side.

Are you sure?

Loud and noisy F16 flying off and landing at Tengah.  Danger of air pollution from industrial sites in Tuas area etc.

I stay ubi, I also always hear fighter jet zooming across. So okay one lah. hahahhaha.

• Praise 2

4 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Oh. Okay. Change of plan! UBI KIA 4EVER!

EAST SIDE, BEST SIDE!

hahahha.

And don't forget

East ppl also have that GREAT EAST COAST PLAN ok?

• Haha! 2

8 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Oh. Okay. Change of plan! UBI KIA 4EVER!

EAST SIDE, BEST SIDE!

hahahha.

U very goahead gostan 1 , better U be in Tengah  (centre in malay) [laugh] 

• Haha! 1

Supercharged
16 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I stay ubi, I also always hear fighter jet zooming across. So okay one lah. hahahhaha.

Don't worry. Paya Lebar Airbase shutting down soon. EAST SIDE, still BEST SIDE!

1 hour ago, Rayleigh said:

I read that it is using chilled water as the cooling agent. As cool as those use in our house?

Gardens by the Bay, the office buildings at Marina Bay and MBS are using this system. If it can cool office and shopping centres, surely can cool HDB.

Supercharged

This centralised cooling system reminds me of the tale of the cooling tower in 2017.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/hot-and-bothered-over-condos-cooling-towershttps://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/hot-and-bothered-over-condos-cooling-towers

In the beginning, the new feature was so attractive to the home buyers. Everyone can chill with minimal cost. Liang liang gao Jurong  🎅 It's only years later when the expensive maintenance/repair cost starts to surface. Even dismantle cost a bomb. 💸 The ensuing court case was expensive and did not serve the residence well. Sharing facility may look good initially, but may come back to haunt you later because not all you neighbor think the same way.

• Praise 4

2 hours ago, Yewheng said:

It is maybe beneficial for those who use aircon long hours or on 24-7.. Not for those who on aircon for a few hours each day only.. 

I reckon there will be 2 tier of pricing for the central air conditioning. Peak Hours probably 9pm to 9am and you will enjoy savings from the centralised air cond. Off Peak may have to pay 5-10x the usual cost as you are activating the centralised air cond for just your own unit.

32 minutes ago, Didu said:

This centralised cooling system reminds me of the tale of the cooling tower in 2017.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/hot-and-bothered-over-condos-cooling-towershttps://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/hot-and-bothered-over-condos-cooling-towers

In the beginning, the new feature was so attractive to the home buyers. Everyone can chill with minimal cost. Liang liang gao Jurong  🎅 It's only years later when the expensive maintenance/repair cost starts to surface. Even dismantle cost a bomb. 💸 The ensuing court case was expensive and did not serve the residence well. Sharing facility may look good initially, but may come back to haunt you later because not all you neighbor think the same way.

A cooling tower is more efficient and cheaper to cool air in large open spaces and not individual pigeon holes of our HDB. Looking at the photos, seems that there will be alot of pipes running in closed loop and no redundancy. If the pipes are shut off, all will be affected. Also,  cooling towers are harder and more expensive to maintain/replace.

3 hours ago, mikk123 said:

is it like a centralized cooling system? will virus passing through the system and affect all the users? 

My thinking is, chances are high since its central cooling like those grade A office ducted air-con , if one person is sick one day, he/she can sneeze or cough alone can pass the virus in less than 3 mins via the CCS . . . correct me if I'm wrong

2 minutes ago, Meanmachine said:

My thinking is, chances are high since its central cooling like those grade A office ducted air-con , if one person is sick one day, he/she can sneeze or cough alone can pass the virus in less than 3 mins via the CCS . . . correct me if I'm wrong

IMHO.
It should be very unlike the office ducted air-con.
I think of it as very similar to a typical home aircon system except the "compressor" is on the roof-top and water is used. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2