5 in south korea died after getting flu shot

VteckiCk

5 minutes ago, RH1667 said:

i just got my yearly flu vaccine shot 2 weeks ago, heng, still can surf MCF :D

Hmm i take the flu vaccine twice yearly for many years liao. My whole family is vaccinated yearly. My kids, wife, parents, in-laws. 

My BIL's family and my sis's family never did so, until last nov-december, both families kana influenza. After that fairly jialat few weeks for them, now all guai gai doing vaccine liao.
My family never kana, even though we interacted with both families...

• Praise 4

27 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Hmm i take the flu vaccine twice yearly for many years liao. My whole family is vaccinated yearly. My kids, wife, parents, in-laws. 

My BIL's family and my sis's family never did so, until last nov-december, both families kana influenza. After that fairly jialat few weeks for them, now all guai gai doing vaccine liao.
My family never kana, even though we interacted with both families...

huh our weather here also need to take the flu vaccine yearly? i only remember taking once when travel to winter country but not any more after that, too lazy or forget [laugh]

47 minutes ago, RadX said:

image.png.5055c2c2f74da7bf99bcee84654fdaa5.png

A clearer picture would be that the volunteer had received a placebo, not the test vaccine.

And that the volunteer was a 28-year-old doctor working on the front lines of the pandemic who died of complications from COVID-19.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/volunteer-in-oxford-covid-19-vaccine-test-dies-in-brazil-13334974

• Praise 3

10 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

huh our weather here also need to take the flu vaccine yearly? i only remember taking once when travel to winter country but not any more after that, too lazy or forget [laugh]

Medical staff / Health Care Workers are recommend to take the flu vaccination yearly before the flu season. Mainly to prevent loss of productivity due to absentism. 

But in S'pore we don't really have a well defined flu season due to our proximity to travel from both the northern and southern hemisphere during their respective winter months. 

• Praise 4

13 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

Govt recommends <5 years old, >65 years old, take annually. Or anyone in between with heart/lung/immune system disorders. Eg. asthma, heart failure etc.

There is data to say that for elderly, taking twice yearly is even better than taking once. I don't do it for my own parents/in-laws cos it's not something they want to do on their own. The yearly one is i make them to do one.

Influenza is clustered in the winters of the respective regions for temperate countries. But in Singapore or tropical countries, it's more present year round, though still clustered around our rainy reason from november to january. There was a lot of influenza patients in 2019 Nov - 2020 Jan. This tends to happen every few years in my experience. 

• Praise 6

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

I'm not really into vaccine studies. And i never really studied this swine flu event or the vaccine development back then.

Talking about GBS, GBS incidence is roughly around this. 

It has an autoimmune origin. From my own understanding, you can get GBS out of nowhere, or it may be sparked by a viral infection or yes, a vaccination. So whether the triggering is done by the virus vs the act of vaccination is unclear.

So if u extrapolate this random incidence to 45million people over a 1 year period, u are likely to see anywhere from 200+ to 1000+ cases of GBS per 45million people per year. 

Generally speaking, the risk of eliciting GBS in vaccination is roughly estimated as ~1 in a million vaccinated people. So while GBS is often touted as one of the major fears, no evidence has been found to the contrary that the benefits of vaccinating one million people from influenza majorly outweigh the cons.

Agreed with the points you made. 👍

But in the end, I think 2 things matter the most for the COVID-19 vaccine. 

1) Public perception of vaccines which honestly isn't at the very best right now. Mainly due to historical legacies of past screw ups in rushing vaccines out (Cutter Salk Vaccine 1955 & Swine Flu Vaccine 1976).

And also the impression that the US adminstration has politicised the process and tried to rush it out in time for the elections. 

2) This is the first time the world has tried to come up with a vaccine for a global pandemic at such short notice. Even within best case scenario, screw ups along the entire research, trial, manufacturing and supply chains are bound to happen. In this current chaotic world situation, with no one talking the lead, I am honestly not sure how it will turn out.

• Praise 3

31 minutes ago, noobcarbuyer said:

Agreed with the points you made. 👍

But in the end, I think 2 things matter the most for the COVID-19 vaccine. 

1) Public perception of vaccines which honestly isn't at the very best right now. Mainly due to historical legacies of past screw ups in rushing vaccines out (Cutter Salk Vaccine 1955 & Swine Flu Vaccine 1976).

And also the impression that the US adminstration has politicised the process and tried to rush it out in time for the elections. 

2) This is the first time the world has tried to come up with a vaccine for a global pandemic at such short notice. Even within best case scenario, screw ups along the entire research, trial, manufacturing and supply chains are bound to happen. In this current chaotic world situation, with no one talking the lead, I am honestly not sure how it will turn out.

Yes i am quite worried by the US administration, in particular, Trump's Operation Warp Speed where he's trying to pressure a vaccine out by the elections, which would have never happened.

But in september, the major companies did this
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/health/9-drug-companies-pledge-coronavirus-vaccine.html

And AZ, J&J, Sanofi are large pharma companies which are also the first few front runners. They have lot of other products other than just vaccines. And their good name is hard earned. 
MRNA and the smaller companies are the ones who are more likely to push hard for early authorisation for their vaccines. But they also have DOD contracts guaranteed. So it's better not to screw up the process. The Russians and to a lesser extent, the PRCs are probably the ones to worry about. Russia in particular is really quite luan luan lai.

Anyway as predicted by quite a number of top experts, Covid-19 is likely going to end up endemic and part of the viruses we have to deal with all the time. Though hopefully it gets weaker over time.

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

It's not so much about our weather per se but more so like before covid, a lot of tourists cum here to seek haven from the weather in their own countries during winter period...unknowingly bring along...that's the reason I avoid going to our airport for makan during those periods...hachew hachew everywhere...

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Yes i am quite worried by the US administration, in particular, Trump's Operation Warp Speed where he's trying to pressure a vaccine out by the elections, which would have never happened.

But in september, the major companies did this
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/health/9-drug-companies-pledge-coronavirus-vaccine.html

And AZ, J&J, Sanofi are large pharma companies which are also the first few front runners. They have lot of other products other than just vaccines. And their good name is hard earned. 
MRNA and the smaller companies are the ones who are more likely to push hard for early authorisation for their vaccines. But they also have DOD contracts guaranteed. So it's better not to screw up the process. The Russians and to a lesser extent, the PRCs are probably the ones to worry about. Russia in particular is really quite luan luan lai.

Anyway as predicted by quite a number of top experts, Covid-19 is likely going to end up endemic and part of the viruses we have to deal with all the time. Though hopefully it gets weaker over time.

Yes, I was glad when the Pharma companies put out that statement. It was a literal line in the sand that they promised to never cross no matter the pressure they will be subjected to.

PRC's vaccine is probably safe, it's just the efficacy of the vaccine that is suspect. Russia's vaccine on the other hand...

Yes, COVID-19 will be endemic, with certain regions faring better than the other parts of the world. We must remember that life will not neatly go back to normal with a fairy tale movie ending.

Just like how the novel H1N1 pandemic-level "spanish flu" back in 1918 mutated into just another seasonal flu amongst all the other variants that were circulating. Descendants of that 1918 H1N1 virus still make up some of the influenza viruses we’re fighting today.

“All those pandemics that have happened since — 1957, 1968, 2009 — all those pandemics are derivatives of the 1918 flu, The flu viruses that people get this year, or last year, are all still directly related to the 1918 ancestor. Because of this, the 1918 influenza outbreak doesn’t come with a neat bookend. Society moved on, but the virus continued in some form or fashion. We are living in a pandemic era that began around 1918. Ever since 1918, this tenacious virus has drawn on a bag of evolutionary tricks to survive.” - Taubenberger, Fauci and Morens, New England Journal of Medicine, 2009.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmp0904819

Anyway a fun fact that I was told back in the day. In 1918, roughly half of those who died were men and women in their 20s and 30s. People were getting sick and dying in the prime of their lives. A theory was that the an earlier ancestor of the H1N1 "spanish flu" strand had been circulating back in the 1880's and had accorded a certain level of immunity to those aged 40 years and above. 

Edited by noobcarbuyer
  • Praise 2

flu vaccine is encouraged in Singapore and immune system has a good resistance over a year period or even you have a flu as it recovers faster than a normal person without the vaccination.

pneumococcal vaccination is also encouraged for 65 years during the ageing period to prevent any complication.

• Praise 1

How about fun facts like this? 

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3106920/coronavirus-co-infection-influenza-can-speed-replication

There's a reason the north Asian countries are aggressively vaccinating especially the elderly.

The very sickest patients early on in the crisis were not uncommonly having multiple infections at one go. Especially overseas. Maybe less so in Sg. 

Edited by Lala81

The question one must ask.. the flu vaccines we are having in SG now.. we have those stock or not and who tio inject with it and any tio reaction..

↡ Advertisement