parents do u still insist on kids having a wedding banquet when they get married?

VteckiCk

The Chinese wedding is a important custom for the Chinese. As a parent, l told my future son in law that a wedding banquet is a must. All my relatives need to acknowledge my daughter is going to marry him. Cost is secondary. Venue, is not important. He can delay his honeymoon but not the banquet. As a father, l wouldn’t want my daughter to regret why her brother or sister have a wedding banquet and she doesn’t have. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

4 minutes ago, Alau3978 said:

As a parent, l told my future son in law that a wedding banquet is a must.

As a father, l wouldn’t want my daughter to regret why her brother or sister have a wedding banquet and she doesn’t have. 

We know what u did.

It is circular. Lol

• Haha! 1

44 minutes ago, noobcarbuyer said:

I have seen enough examples to last a lifetime. 

But specific to the last decade.

Apart from lavish weddings,

Executive Condos / Condos are the biggest trap for newly weds.

Instagram worthy renovations (and renovation loans) are also another culprit. 

The greatest stress point are always the finances in first few years of marriage especially once the baby factor comes into play.

No no no😁

anything to do with Property is good debt 😆😁

property property Huat huat huat. Wan sui. Ole! 👏🤗

muayhahahaha

I don't have banquet, just 2x10 seaters tables at Wan Hao restaurant Marriott Tangs together with the ROM ceremony. Own family and my wife dad/mum only. Simple and hassle free. 

• Praise 3

40 minutes ago, Alau3978 said:

The Chinese wedding is a important custom for the Chinese. As a parent, l told my future son in law that a wedding banquet is a must. All my relatives need to acknowledge my daughter is going to marry him. Cost is secondary. Venue, is not important. He can delay his honeymoon but not the banquet. As a father, l wouldn’t want my daughter to regret why her brother or sister have a wedding banquet and she doesn’t have. 

Respect your view.

All along I have the perception banquet is to please both set of parents while honeymoon is for......their own pleasure ..I mean enjoyment ....hmmm never mind. 

Does it change your view if your child is a boy. Generally male are the one that need to fork out for the banquet.

Tea session...is a must. A gesture to welcome he / her into the family. Got gold okie...

2 hours ago, Kklee said:

In 2014, two economics researchers from Emory University in Atlanta conducted a study to determine if there was a link between wedding expenses and marriage duration.

The study had a sample of 3,000 married, or previously married, couples.

They found evidence that marriage duration is inversely related to the amount spent on the engagement ring and wedding ceremony. In short: The higher the cost of the wedding, the shorter the marriage lasts.

Sounds like common sense, but sense indeed is not too common. If need a to spend a big sum of money to ascertain how much the other party loves you, starting the marriage on shaky foundation liao...

Edited by yellowshaun
  • Praise 2

47 minutes ago, Alau3978 said:

what if she was the one insist not to have one? 

56 minutes ago, Roh96 said:

I had about 60 tables for my wedding and we did it at a country club ballroom. We knew we can't avoid bcos I am the eldest son and my wife is the eldest daughter.

Is it worth the trouble? Absolutely.

Till today (18 yrs later) my in-laws and my parents still will occasionally talk about it. The fond memories is indeed lasting. Looking back, i am happy for our decision to kuai kuai follow their wish.

Will i insist my children to have wedding banquet when it come to their turn? Now is simi generation liao still insist on wedding banquet. Have to see open (kan kai)...let the next gen decide for themselves.

I had mine (forced to la) in a restaurant, didnt even tell the restaurant it was a wedding banquet so the prices were kept sane. Like you, the relatives rave about eating crab at the dinner, and the prices were still a fraction of the crappy hotel nonsense... =D

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

Sounds like common sense, but it indeed is not too common. If need a to spend a big sum of money to ascertain how much the other party loves you, starting the marriage on shaky foundation liao...

Subjective result.

How to define "big" sum? 

5 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Subjective result.

How to define "big" sum? 

For me, i advise friends getting married to buy a ring they wont heart pain to replace if they lose it. =D I had a few scares liao, so wife and I just wear pandora rings instead. =D Can buy a few for the price of our wedding ring to keep as spare, lost also no need to freak out!

Edited by yellowshaun

wedding banquet was more of the traditional thing and no internet, last time family bigger and wedding banquet is for everyone from various places to come back to gather and update.

now with smaller family size and the social media, basically no need such occasion like before. 

裸婚 is very common even in China today where their people now only have one child.

• Praise 3

25 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

Sounds like common sense, but sense indeed is not too common. If need a to spend a big sum of money to ascertain how much the other party loves you, starting the marriage on shaky foundation liao...

Alamak,  you quote wrong person......

2 hours ago, Playtime said:

i do know of people who got into debt because of wedding dinner.... not a smart thing to do imo.

Some people find face value very important. Now have to go to 6 stars atas hotel and not some 4 stars hotel liao.

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

wedding banquet was more of the traditional thing and no internet, last time family bigger and wedding banquet is for everyone from various places to come back to gather and update.

now with smaller family size and the social media, basically no need such occasion like before. 

裸婚 is very common even in China today where their people now only have one child.

learnt new phrase today

1 hour ago, Kopites said:

Respect your view.

All along I have the perception banquet is to please both set of parents while honeymoon is for......their own pleasure ..I mean enjoyment ....hmmm never mind. 

Does it change your view if your child is a boy. Generally male are the one that need to fork out for the banquet.

Tea session...is a must. A gesture to welcome he / her into the family. Got gold okie...

nowadays share one right. wife pay for some at least.

What i find quite silly is the dowry/giving back tables etc. Whatever lah. That one definitely very outdated.

Edited by Lala81
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, yellowshaun said:

For me, i advise friends getting married to buy a ring they wont heart pain to replace if they lose it. =D I had a few scares liao, so wife and I just wear pandora rings instead. =D Can buy a few for the price of our wedding ring to keep as spare, lost also no need to freak out!

engagement rings are definitely the most waste money.

I don't wear my wedding rings but at least that isn't a big sum.

↡ Advertisement