Singapore Property Scene Discussion

therock

4 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Life is short - buy a place you like and enjoy living in! If it appreciates more, we'll and good. If less, you would have enjoyed the place for many years and that cannot be measured in $$.

Yes, agreed.  Thats why i find that some of my friends who live in a crummy HDB when they have a decent condo, completely missing the point.  They should improve their quality of life since they can afford instead of looking at money so much.  

I understand that retirement is hard for at least 95% of Singaporeans but if we give alway our better well-being, energy, health and youth for money, what else do we have in exchange ?    Lets strike a balance.  This is not an advice to YOLO away, please.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

35 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Yes, agreed.  Thats why i find that some of my friends who live in a crummy HDB when they have a decent condo, completely missing the point.  They should improve their quality of life since they can afford instead of looking at money so much.  

I understand that retirement is hard for at least 95% of Singaporeans but if we give alway our better well-being, energy, health and youth for money, what else do we have in exchange ?    Lets strike a balance.  This is not an advice to YOLO away, please.

yup ... must always strike a balance ...

what is life if we cannot enjoy the "little things" ... 

Edited by Wt_know

Anybody here into Singapore equities? The property stocks are down a lot today.  
Is it in anticipation of more cooling measures coming up?

But bank shares are relatively stable. 🥱

• Praise 1

I think there is one more thing to add to that checklist:

Check the area for how prone it is to flood...

Exit points - some places make you go quite far before you can turn in the other direction. Other places are near a junction that gives you the ability to go in all directions..

• Praise 3

31 minutes ago, therock said:

Exit points - some places make you go quite far before you can turn in the other direction. Other places are near a junction that gives you the ability to go in all directions..

I agree....my current place has the U-turn issue you mention

1 hour ago, Khng8 said:

Anybody here into Singapore equities? The property stocks are down a lot today.  
Is it in anticipation of more cooling measures coming up?

But bank shares are relatively stable. 🥱

My luck with SG shares has not been good so far. First REITS has been my biggest loser. I couldn't have imagined that healthcare REITS can do so badly during COVID.

I have done much much better with US stocks.😃

2 hours ago, therock said:

Don't forget about potential landslides too....

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

I think flash floods is fixable... might be a chance to grab a good deal of that area has some bad flooding publicity recently like upper payer Lebar near Kovan. 

Fixable but is there anyone fixing it?

• Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Wind30 said:

I think flash floods is fixable... might be a chance to grab a good deal of that area has some bad flooding publicity recently like upper payer Lebar near Kovan. 

Be wary bro, in theory it may be, but I don't think the authorities will do that..

That's why they make some areas add height to their first floor. But the roads outside will still be lower and flood prone.

I think there may even be links, URA? to areas which require you to elevate the ground floor... eg Siglap for example and some other places. I think the D19 area has some areas like that too..

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/heavy-rain-leads-to-flash-floods-around-singapore

This looked like an exercise in futility...scoops... must take note of the Gambir area.. hope the car survived.. the entrance to the homes are higher, but the road is lower and I doubt that the government will spend $$. It's not Bukit Timah..

image.png.4b04060b49675b3e4ad568b15143a71e.png

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Fixable but is there anyone fixing it?

heng suay. They fixed orchard road flooding that is for sure...

My place is on a slight slope so there is no way it will flood.... I think it is quite easy to tell which areas are safer from flooding. If there is a slight slope no way it will flood unless you are at the bottom of the slope.

Edited by Wind30

14 minutes ago, therock said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/heavy-rain-leads-to-flash-floods-around-singapore

This looked like an exercise in futility...scoops... must take note of the Gambir area.. hope the car survived.. the entrance to the homes are higher, but the road is lower and I doubt that the government will spend $$. It's not Bukit Timah..

image.png.4b04060b49675b3e4ad568b15143a71e.png

This area is low lying.  Quite a big patch of landed houses there.  Imagine rain and cannot go home even if driving.

Knee high is no joke.  The drainage in those areas probably insufficient or they suck

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

My place is on a slight slope so there is no way it will flood.... I think it is quite easy to tell which areas are safer from flooding. If there is a slight slope no way it will flood unless you are at the bottom of the slope.

More important is where the road leads to eg

if your place is at the end but you still need to navigate through a low lying area, do be careful 

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

You at Serangoon Gardens, i thought?

↡ Advertisement