Singapore Property Scene Discussion

therock

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

heng suay. They fixed orchard road flooding that is for sure...

My place is on a slight slope so there is no way it will flood.... I think it is quite easy to tell which areas are safer from flooding. If there is a slight slope no way it will flood unless you are at the bottom of the slope.

Orchard road confirm need to fix. 

Same for bukit timah as many ministers stay along that stretch. 

Other places, difficult to say how long they will take to fix the problem or indeed if the fix is successful.

↡ Advertisement

58 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

You at Serangoon Gardens, i thought?

Lentor area , near our former minister kbw...

I really like Lentor area. Not many people know about it as it’s a small estate, my wife stated there from young that is why I got to know about it. 

most of amk and Lentor is kind of hilly so never had floods before in amk...

• Praise 1

31 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

I really like Lentor area. Not many people know about it as it’s a small estate, my wife stated there from young that is why I got to know about it. 

Lentor is nice and with the mrt coming up, should be relatively quick to town too. Also down to the "good schools" area along bukit timah since you can change to blue line at stevens.

Lentor is one of the places I am looking at.

2 hours ago, Wind30 said:

I see, i know some friends staying in the Lentor area.  A bit far off and on its own, but away from all the hustle of the city is good for retirement and feeling relaxed

7 minutes ago, Showster said:

Anyone looking at Luxus Hills? I feel it is quite hilly.

I decided to take you off my ignore list and see where it goes from here.

In terms of luxus hills, its a joke to me.  Its for your mass market guy.  

Every house looks the same.....no point for landed, better just get a big condo or big cluster house at least still hv facilities.

• Praise 3

8 hours ago, Wind30 said:

I think flash floods is fixable... might be a chance to grab a good deal of that area has some bad flooding publicity recently like upper payer Lebar near Kovan. 

Depend on the cause of the flood. If it is choked drainage or width of drainage, it may be easier to fix. But if the problem is low lying area water take a longer time to drain to  river, sea with raised water level....it will take at least a decade to have the solution ready.

With rising sea level and more extreme weather, low lying country/city like singapore, london, etc will be more prone to flash flood cos no matter how deep or how wide the drain is, it is useless if water cannot be drained into river/sea. 

• Praise 1

17 hours ago, therock said:

I think there is one more thing to add to that checklist:

Check the area for how prone it is to flood...

Exit points - some places make you go quite far before you can turn in the other direction. Other places are near a junction that gives you the ability to go in all directions..

The exit point is an important consideration for those who drive or take taxi/phv, etc. I will usually look for an area with multiple routes to exit the estate, in case one road is jam....at least I have 1 or more other route to get out of the area.

• Praise 1

51 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

I decided to take you off my ignore list and see where it goes from here.

In terms of luxus hills, its a joke to me.  Its for your mass market guy.  

Every house looks the same.....no point for landed, better just get a big condo or big cluster house at least still hv facilities.

I enjoy your selective ignoring process.

We are talking about floods here yeah?

3 hours ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Lentor is nice and with the mrt coming up, should be relatively quick to town too. Also down to the "good schools" area along bukit timah since you can change to blue line at stevens.

Lentor is one of the places I am looking at.

If buying for own stay, I think other factors come into play. It is really hard to predict whether it will go up. I did some checks at URA website just to see if my decision to buy Lentor vs Luxus hills in 2009 was the "right" one...

Luxus hills was like 1.7 million in 2009 and now it is around 3.1 mil in resale, my place at lentor has slightly higher levels of appreciation. At the end of the day, the appreciation is always around there...

The weirdest thing is luxus hills is over 3million??? for a 1615sq ft land unit...  I was very surprised when I saw the price...

On 11/1/2020 at 11:46 PM, Mm63 said:

Thanks for the insight! Agree with your analysis.

Hope it is useful to you somewhat.

You have also given me a case which I could study using data, although what I did was quite basic.  There is actually more data that can be mine to discover more insights.

I am in the process of building a property-related website/blog, so ideas like yours is helpful.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Wind30 said:

If buying for own stay, I think other factors come into play. It is really hard to predict whether it will go up. I did some checks at URA website just to see if my decision to buy Lentor vs Luxus hills in 2009 was the "right" one...

Luxus hills was like 1.7 million in 2009 and now it is around 3.1 mil in resale, my place at lentor has slightly higher levels of appreciation. At the end of the day, the appreciation is always around there...

The weirdest thing is luxus hills is over 3million??? for a 1615sq ft land unit...  I was very surprised when I saw the price...

3 million for a small inter terrace is par three days if it’s new and FH. 

You can hunt for those near MRT stations or get older ones with more land. But those will need some work. 

Your area is nice. Larger plots and also near a station 

but some lanes might be a tad narrow depending on which area you are at

my uncle had a place at The countryside.. 

1 hour ago, Icedbs said:

Hope it is useful to you somewhat.

You have also given me a case which I could study using data, although what I did was quite basic.  There is actually more data that can be mine to discover more insights.

I am in the process of building a property-related website/blog, so ideas like yours is helpful.

If you don’t mind, maybe you can analyze the Pasir Panjang and Kembangan area?

maybe compare it to a gold standard like Mt Sinai ?

Thanks 🙏 

13 minutes ago, therock said:

Thanks 🙏 

What do you want me to analyse?  

1 hour ago, Icedbs said:

What do you want me to analyse?  

Maybe something like what you did for the Cashew area?
Sale prices, cap appreciation, rentals etc?

My personal opinion is that the CCR places cost more, but move faster and also appreciate at a faster rate, but do the other central areas also have some potential, and see how a more modest area will compare... 

Xie xie.. 

20 hours ago, therock said:

Thanks 🙏 

While we are on the topic, since you mentioned Mt Sinai (D10), I've been wondering about the allure of D9,D10 and D11. A general question to all is whether their prestige still applicable/relevant to the younger generation say under-35s? 

Personally, I like Mt Sinai and am quite familiar with the area but it's out of my price range. Easily $4m+ for smallest 20-30 year old inter-terrace

I've looked at Pasir Panjang area for landed as well. There's the western end near NUS which is not near MRT and the eastern end that is near the circle line MRT stations. I've focused more on the eastern side and supply is generally pretty low. Agents also tend to hype up about the Great Southern Waterfront but that will take easily 10 years at least to even begin to materialize.

19 hours ago, therock said:

Maybe something like what you did for the Cashew area?
Sale prices, cap appreciation, rentals etc?

My personal opinion is that the CCR places cost more, but move faster and also appreciate at a faster rate, but do the other central areas also have some potential, and see how a more modest area will compare... 

Xie xie.. 

As far as I know, OCR and RCR appreciated much more that CCR (virtually flat) in the last 7-10 years though.

↡ Advertisement