Singapore Property Scene Discussion

therock

4 hours ago, Rskc said:

What you said and your subsequent posts are true too. It is to each his own, likings and, most imptly like you said, the ability to pay. Many including some of my friends (normal salaried above average earners) yearn to live in landed. They will probably be able to procure but definitely not at your level of wealth to maintain the landed. That is the intention of my post. 😉Just know what one is getting into.

My old folks bought the house new then but houses do get old and need repair one way or the other. They ran out of energy to repair. Compared to that era, it was the better ones. It is definitely not the kampong house type. Haha. It is more like the lky oxley house type of structure in a 2 storey semi d form. Like you said, living in landed has its perks. Like if one has green fingers - My old folk planted papaya, rose, pandan leaves, chilli padi, lime in the garden. The bus stop/mrt is as far though even now. That has not changed. 

If one has the ability to tear down and rebuild like you, it will be best. By all means, live in a landed with good helper and gardener. But how many % of landed owners (or potential owners) can do this? 

My age - not that old but probably not far from you lah (when i can mentioned merc 300SEL hahaha). And definitely not as rich as you. 🙂

You took Kampung literally? No lah please. 

And I grew up in HDB not like you, rich kid.

↡ Advertisement

The condo vs landed debate will rage on for a long time... kind of like PI vs AD

There's no right or wrong... to each his own..

Renovations tend to be cheaper in a renovation and the rental yield is higher, but those who gravitate towards landed will enjoy it's advantages..

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

You took Kampung literally? No lah please. 

And I grew up in HDB not like you, rich kid.

Hmm, everyone has its ups and downs. Let's just put this way, I have also lived in landed, condo and hdb. Life is never a bed of roses. 😉  

Talking about HDB, personally I feel hdb is the most value for money housing (GCB excluded cos that is totally another class) in Singapore especially if one can get a new downtown unit like Dawson. HDBs confirm get upgraded and painted after a few years without extra sinking fund or extra cash out to pay.

Went to my friend's place at Dawson. Wow, nice place! 

• Praise 2

5 hours ago, Rskc said:

Hmm, everyone has its ups and downs. Let's just put this way, I have also lived in landed, condo and hdb. Life is never a bed of roses. 😉  

Talking about HDB, personally I feel hdb is the most value for money housing (GCB excluded cos that is totally another class) in Singapore especially if one can get a new downtown unit like Dawson. HDBs confirm get upgraded and painted after a few years without extra sinking fund or extra cash out to pay.

Went to my friend's place at Dawson. Wow, nice place! 

Dawson area HDBs are probably the best in SG.   That should be the standard for new hdbs to follow.  
who knows maybe in 25yrs i might retire in one of those.... hmmmmm

on second thoughts, no lah 😀

Just now, Throttle2 said:

Dawson area HDBs are probably the best in SG.   That should be the standard for new hdbs to follow.  
who knows maybe in 25yrs i might retire in one of those.... hmmmmm

on second thoughts, no lah 😀

+1

IMO, the Dawson area is much better than the Pinnacles.

Yes, there's that famous skybridge and it's near the CBD. But the units are packed into this monolithic structure, and the car park smells. It feels way too much like a HKG flat. Lucky folks who made money on it should sell... 

The Dawson area is cleaner, near nature, a good MRT station, amenities, and it's in a much better area to live.

• Praise 2

There's a whole gamut of articles on property today, I'll let bro Merc post them in his thread, but the scare tactics are worth reading about, and the purchase on Sentosa, that's interesting. People will find value everywhere and I tend to agree, it depends on your starting price.

Eg even a 60 year old LH place can make sense if you've done your sums.. you can make it back in rentals, or just enjoy the lease in a wonderful location and not care about profit..  YMMV..

What is scary is when people get lulled into a talk of guaranteed returns, super high capital appreciations.. 

caveat emptor...

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, therock said:

There's a whole gamut of articles on property today, I'll let bro Merc post them in his thread, but the scare tactics are worth reading about, and the purchase on Sentosa, that's interesting. People will find value everywhere and I tend to agree, it depends on your starting price.

Eg even a 60 year old LH place can make sense if you've done your sums.. you can make it back in rentals, or just enjoy the lease in a wonderful location and not care about profit..  YMMV..

What is scary is when people get lulled into a talk of guaranteed returns, super high capital appreciations.. 

caveat emptor...

Not sure if sg property talks market guaranteed returns, super high capital appreciations for local properties, thats probably for overseas ones

But it is "inspiring" when specific examples of profits from buying sg properties in past 5-8 years are given in some of these talks

and also the successful examples of the agents who share their property journey, from HDB to multiple properties etc

of course the disclaimer is always do your sums and consult your agent for advice.

• Praise 2

12 hours ago, therock said:

+1

Yes, there's that famous skybridge and it's near the CBD. But the units are packed into this monolithic structure, and the car park smells. It feels way too much like a HKG flat. Lucky folks who made money on it should sell... 

The Dawson area is cleaner, near nature, a good MRT station, amenities, and it's in a much better area to live.

Totally spot on, you are.

Pinnacle is horrible. Only location in CBD
pay me to stay and i wont. 

@therock

In order to determine whether a location is good or not, you have to work backwards. If you're working in Chinatown and you stay in Pinnacle then obviously it is an excellent location because of the close proximity. You can do without a car and merely walk to work. If you're purchasing a property for renting it out then of course the variables will change. People will still flock to Singapore to take up high paying jobs. Whether or not they got the job either on merit or through connections is another matter altogether. These are the people that give property agents business and help homeowners pay for their mortgages on their second or third homes. The wuhan virus has indeed wrecked havoc in many areas but I am certain that things will bounce back. Nothing is permanent. 

With regards to renovations I've mentioned this before. If you go through an Interior Designer then be prepared to fork out a lot of money. If you can, look for a reliable contractor that does work for these Interior Designers. It is much cheaper and the cost savings can be as much as half. I engaged this contractor for renovations for my house. He does almost everything and I have no complaints. 

https://www.facebook.com/xinghwadesign/

http://www.xinghwadesign.com.sg/about-us

• Praise 1

16 hours ago, therock said:

+1

Both appeal to different groups of people.

Pinnacle was designed more than 15 years ago. Idea was a circuit board design - love or hate it. It is at the vicinity of 4 mrt lines, 300m to 600m max (plus future line). Sky bridge, 800m running track and dedicated resident's car park with gantry at B1. 

Dawson is around 700m to mrt. Only 1 line. But much closer to nature. Better design cos newer (compared to Pinnacle). No gantry car park restriction for residents only.

Pinnacle appeals to people that downgraded from condo with spare cash to retire. Amenities (2 - 1 finest & a 24h), all sorts of restaurants and transport are within walking distance. These are especially impt as one gets older (e.g. i forbid my old folk to drive cos his eyesight is failing, for his and other's safety). And trust me, see my old folk walk for more than 300m is a struggle. The other group is professionals working in CBD. Nothing beats walking to office. 

Dawson appeals to younger couple who could walk the 700m to MRT daily, jog along the nature, cycle and ahhh fresh air etc. It has ntuc at dawson place.

For rental, Pinnacle has the slight edge for obvious reason, CBD. So it can be for both self stay or rental. I guess Dawson will be more for self stay.

I guess different stroke for different folks. Maybe the icedbs bro here can jump in with his expertise. 🙂 

I dont mind living in either one when I am old and retired. Caveat: I must have car and able to drive if it is Dawson and only the loft units will appeal to me. 😄

The next one to overtake Dawson will probably be GSW HDBs. Told my younger friends, if got chance, pls pls just apply. 

Edited by Rskc
  • Praise 3

3 hours ago, Rskc said:

Both appeal to different groups of people.

Pinnacle was designed more than 15 years ago. Idea was a circuit board design - love or hate it. It is at the vicinity of 4 mrt lines, 300m to 600m max (plus future line). Sky bridge, 800m running track and dedicated resident's car park with gantry at B1. 

Dawson is around 700m to mrt. Only 1 line. But much closer to nature. Better design cos newer (compared to Pinnacle). No gantry car park restriction for residents only.

Pinnacle appeals to people that downgraded from condo with spare cash to retire. Amenities (2 - 1 finest & a 24h), all sorts of restaurants and transport are within walking distance. These are especially impt as one gets older (e.g. i forbid my old folk to drive cos his eyesight is failing, for his and other's safety). And trust me, see my old folk walk for more than 300m is a struggle. The other group is professionals working in CBD. Nothing beats walking to office. 

Dawson appeals to younger couple who could walk the 700m to MRT daily, jog along the nature, cycle and ahhh fresh air etc. It has ntuc at dawson place.

🙂 

I dont mind living in either one when I am old and retired. Caveat: I must have car and able to drive if it is Dawson and only the loft units will appeal to me. 😄

Jog along the nature? Are you referring to the Alex canal which lead all the way to marina.

As for botanic garden is a minimum 30 minutes walk away. Not much nature I reckon along dawson. 

The loft unit? Dawson terrace and dawson villie?  Easily hit a million if not 800k to 900k for a 4 rooms. Exit plan won't be much option for you if are getting a resale.

The better option. If you are looking for apartment type should be those condo along the canal. Quite a few new coming up as I saw their showrooms along the canal. "Thelandmark"? My son asked how come the land mark no space in between.

Dawson nearest mrt should be the queenstown mrt. Tanglin regency radius should be the redhill mrt . Further down zion road there is the upcoming great world station. 

20 hours ago, therock said:

+1

Dawson vicinity there are quite a few new hdb blocks coming up. right in front of the queenstown library. Those are for the tanglin halt enbloc residents.

Eventually amenities yes it will be good. Serene and quiet I very much doubt so when tanglin halt residents shift over. 

14 hours ago, Kopites said:

The loft unit? Dawson terrace and dawson villie?  Easily hit a million if not 800k to 900k for a 4 rooms. Exit plan won't be much option for you if are getting a resale.

If I am getting a resales at Dawson, it will mean that I have spare cash for retirement and does not care about exit plan. Note the key words - "spare cash". 😁

The exit will be exit to another world. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Rskc said:

If I am getting a resales at Dawson, it will mean that I have spare cash for retirement and does not care about exit plan. Note the key words - "spare cash". 😁

The exit will be exit to another world. Lol. 

Good. 

Retirement with amnesties once tangling halt residents fully migrate over in 2 to 3 years.

↡ Advertisement