Singapore Property Scene Discussion

therock

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/sembawang-park-estate-illegal-parking-1918351

I have mixed feelings about the parking issue in these estates... Looking at Google Maps, the nearest parking space is quite far away..

Someone must have had a driveway blocked then he/she called the LTA and now everyone is affected.. if rubbish trucks and fire engines can't get through because some chap didn't park properly, then everyone suffers now..

Many estates rely on the roadside parking, and it's a privilege to have such a home and also to have more than one car, so sympathies from other Singaporeans will be scarce... but another example of how some civic behaviour could have prevent it..

On a different note, this is one factor to take note when buying a house - parking and the width of the street..

Terrace houses are around 6m wide, and with homes on either side, add a narrow street and you're going to grit your teeth everyday.. so look out for this..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged
(edited)
22 minutes ago, therock said:

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/sembawang-park-estate-illegal-parking-1918351

I have mixed feelings about the parking issue in these estates... Looking at Google Maps, the nearest parking space is quite far away..

Someone must have had a driveway blocked then he/she called the LTA and now everyone is affected.. if rubbish trucks and fire engines can't get through because some chap didn't park properly, then everyone suffers now..

Many estates rely on the roadside parking, and it's a privilege to have such a home and also to have more than one car, so sympathies from other Singaporeans will be scarce... but another example of how some civic behaviour could have prevent it..

On a different note, this is one factor to take note when buying a house - parking and the width of the street..

Terrace houses are around 6m wide, and with homes on either side, add a narrow street and you're going to grit your teeth everyday.. so look out for this..

The solution is to own the right number of cars that could fit into the house compound. So if own a lot of cars, then get a house with bigger compound. 

Anyway it is quite unsafe to park long term outside the house when the road is narrow.  The car may risk getting scratched by lorries or truck.

Edited by Starry

Supersonic
4 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Ya. Jumbo is getting more popular than mansionette. Those with young kids or elderly will not consider. My friend had a hard time selling his. 

People who can afford landed, dont mind staying in a house with stairs, even for young kids and elderly. But would not consider a mansionette?! 😂

Actually i would also prefer a jumbo flat than a mansionette. Even for private if i can afford, i would buy a bigger size one level house rather than a 3-4 storey house.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

People who can afford landed, dont mind staying in a house with stairs, even for young kids and elderly. But would not consider a mansionette?! 😂

Actually i would also prefer a jumbo flat than a mansionette. Even for private if i can afford, i would buy a bigger size one level house rather than a 3-4 storey house.

Can't compare landed to mansionette la. Landed L1 got rooms or can install lift. Like my wife's boss. The target buyers are also different group. 

But it's true that mansionette isn't as popular as before. That's why hdb stop building those. 

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, 13177 said:

Install a lift. Monthly maintenance fee few hundred.

Also beware of pests if your house is right next to a drainage. 

HDB town council responsibility. Landed owner responsibility. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 5/8/2022 at 8:57 PM, therock said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/millennial-housing-property-election-issue-singapore

Have you seen the differences between the older and the current HDB flats?
Not only are they smaller, the taller buildings mean more people are packed into the same footprint, and the risks of noise pollution or meeting some annoying neighbor may go up exponentially..

You may also get more vertical traffic jams, more people trying to park in the lots and squeezing onto the same feeder buses to carry you to the MRT stations... 

image.png.8031c009654b5f66ae4e1db9b8c23812.png

This will be a very sad story for Singapore if we go this way. A home is a roof over the heads for the family, not an investment or a lifelong debt. Hope HDB remains as HDB and affordable. Sell back to government if you don't need it. Someone else needs it. If there are enough HDB, the supply issue solved, the demand is gone. Don't make money from your future generations. You aren't making money unless you cash out and migrate. 

Supersonic
31 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

This will be a very sad story for Singapore if we go this way. A home is a roof over the heads for the family, not an investment or a lifelong debt. Hope HDB remains as HDB and affordable. Sell back to government if you don't need it. Someone else needs it. If there are enough HDB, the supply issue solved, the demand is gone. Don't make money from your future generations. You aren't making money unless you cash out and migrate. 

Indeed very sad. But they would tell you, expensive HDB is only at those premium location and popular estate, if you cannot afford those BTO HDB and resale there, just go to others cheaper and more affordable location lo. 🙄

Turbocharged
2 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Indeed very sad. But they would tell you, expensive HDB is only at those premium location and popular estate, if you cannot afford those BTO HDB and resale there, just go to others cheaper and more affordable location lo. 🙄

In my personal opinion, HDB has lost it original purpose. It should never be an investment or debt trap. It is a home for the citizen.

Sad if we are heading towards what we witness in HK. Don't forget, HK got mainland, we only have the sea around us.

• Praise 1

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

In my personal opinion, HDB has lost it original purpose. It should never be an investment or debt trap. It is a home for the citizen.

Sad if we are heading towards what we witness in HK. Don't forget, HK got mainland, we only have the sea around us.

you can't put the genie back in the bottle liao ... 

XrC6j.jpeg

Edited by Wt_know

Supersonic
9 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

They would tell you again that it is the buyer own choice to get into debt trap, no one force them to buy so high. Like people always say, willing seller willing buyer. Besides those over 700k BTO and 1m resale HDB, there are still many affordable BTOs and resale HDB in other places. 😅

Supercharged
38 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

It is a tricky situation. If HDB resale sells back to gov at a low price so as to keep it affordable to the next buyer,  then the wealth gap between HDB owners and private owners will be significant since private can sell at market price with significant profit. A big wealth inequality between the two groups will pose other social issues. 

My take on this : Don't worry about the next generation.  They have their challenges, but they will also have opportunities that the previous generation doesn't have. Every generation has to find their own best path in life. In anycase, the new generation now  has better help and inheritance from their parents, so that gave them a head start that their parents probably doesn't have in the past.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
1 minute ago, Wt_know said:

you can't put the genie back in the bottle liao ... 

XrC6j.jpeg

To the rich, it is opportunity to be richer. Even if they don't speculate, HDB don't affect them either. To the average Joe, they struggle to survive. For others, shall I say 'chasing the dragon?'. You are in the losing game. 

Turbocharged
1 minute ago, Starry said:

It is a tricky situation. If HDB resale sells back to gov at a low price so as to keep it affordable to the next buyer,  then the wealth gap between HDB owners and private owners will be significant since private can sell at market price with significant profit. A big wealth inequality between the two groups will pose other social issues. 

My take on this : Don't worry about the next generation.  They have their challenges, but they will also have opportunities that the previous generation doesn't have. Every generation has to find their own best path in life. In anycase, the new generation now  has better help and inheritance from their parents, so that gave them a head start that their parents probably doesn't have in the past.

'Asset wealth' is nothing if you have only 1. As I have said, unless you migrates. otherwise, you sell high, you buy higher.

Rich/poor gap is not measured by the property you live in. Your anology is what the government is selling you. Be a high class slave

• Praise 1

Supersonic
14 minutes ago, Starry said:

Ya, at least the new generation now when inheritance their parents HDB, can sell $1m or even higher which the past generation dont have lo.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
2 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Ya, at least the new generation now when inheritance their parents HDB, can sell $1m or even higher which the past generation dont have lo.

ah gong know their mistake 

that’s why they try to curb the “loterry hdb” issue

but it’s too late to u-turn now … so slowly slowly lo … 

Edited by Wt_know

On 6/7/2022 at 8:26 PM, therock said:

This is what I mean using a different analogy... civic sense, park well and no one has to ban parking..

image.thumb.png.7d0fc363553ea0fcb56fe2679e38b0d8.png

Marina Bay HDB flats... nice

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/housing/public-housing-in-marina-south-analysts-say-it-is-likely-given-govts-push-for-more-inclusivity

SINGAPORE - The Marina South precinct is likely to have public housing as well, given the Government's move to inject Housing Board flats into traditionally private housing estates elsewhere, said analysts.

In its long-term plan unveiled on Monday (June 6), the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) said it would create a better mix of public and private housing islandwide, starting with the area around Upper Changi MRT station and Bayshore estate.

Its plans showed that new homes could also be built in areas such as Marina East, Marina South, Lower Seletar, Chencharu in Yishun, Sembawang North, Woodlands North and Sengkang West.

While URA's plans did not specify the type of housing that will be built within the new housing areas including Marina South and Marina East, analysts expect public and private housing will be offered in most, if not all, the estates.

Development in Marina South was kickstarted Tuesday when the first private residential site in Marina South was launched as part of the Government Land Sales programme.

ERA Realty head of research and consultancy Nicholas Mak said while conventional economics would mean selling prime land in the Marina South and East areas to the highest bidder to build private luxury developments, Singapore's housing policies have to fulfil a social need.

This means it is likely that the Government will inject public housing in those areas, although the ratio of public to private housing remains uncertain, he said.

• Shocked 1