3 minutes ago, Blueray said:

please go up and check, maybe his body is still there ... [laugh]

No body lah.... 

tenor (2).gif

↡ Advertisement

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Ysc3 said:

Cfm and chop.... 

My staff's friend... Sneezed and then became wheelchair bound after that fateful sneeze. 

WOAH. no more pepperish soup for me anymore!

Ya. I kena once (and first time) last year. Mine still not that back as I lie down still okay. Just that can't stand/walk for long and can't bend down. Lasted around 2 weeks. Worst still, I was commissioning a machine that time and always need to find a chair to sit down. People thought I very nua, even though it's true to some extend. lol

• Haha! 4

Especially don't turn your head when sneezing or coughing.  The non-ergonomical position will hurt the neck.

I got it once as there was someone near me so I turned my head and sneezed. Immediately felt a sharp pain and the discomfort lasted a few days

Any cause of suddenly increased intra-abdominal pressure - sneezing, coughing, straining to pass motion- can cause and exacerbate back issues and hernias.

The effects of a really violent sneeze can be profound because of simple physics - it's an impulsive force, a large change in momentum over a very short time interval, which can lead to a sudden spike in intra-abdominal pressure. 

To mitigate the effects, always brace your back when a sneeze is imminent. Tighten your abdominal muscles and flex your knees. Don't ever bend your spine, that's the worst thing you can do. 

The human body is often romanticised as a marvel, but I always considered it a pretty shitty "design" in many ways - actually just a hodgepodge of evolutionary accidents of sorts (being an atheist, that's completely consistent with my worldview). We have to do what we can to help our poorly put together anatomies from self-destructing prematurely.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
29 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

swimming > sneeze > wheelchair bound? very scary

Just like how we stray in the Forum.... One thing leads to another,  then another... 😂

My staff was telling me how his niece or relative  was born with a curved spine... See Dr and physio all no use ... But later someone advised swimming .... And after swimming for a few years,  the muscle straightened the spine back! 

Then since we were talking about the spine...he then told me about his friend who broke his back after a hard sneeze.

Edited by Ysc3

3 hours ago, Starry said:

Bro, you how old?

Bro, still young and fit.  LOL

seriously, age doesn't matter.  GP told me anyone can get this

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who is aware of this known fact. 

This is my first time, but GP say once get it, it will happen next time. 

3 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Confirm and chop as well

I kena twice...luckily both times just pulled muscles. Pain liked Fxxxxx!!!

Could hardly walk for a week or so, followed by walked like a very old man for weeks 

My MIL could walked faster than me during those weeks...really chao turtle 😅

Yeah, that's what I'm going through now. Walk like old ah pak. cant even get up from bed.

And definitely can't drive coz I wont get out of the car seat.  LOL

• Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Yeah, that's what I'm going through now. Walk like old ah pak. cant even get up from bed.

Like that cannot go work liao.

The problem, especially at this Pandemic time, is we want to hold or stifle the sneeze coz its socially bad manners to let it all out. 

But by doing so, we run the risk of getting injured. 

I read one case is UK. A young guy stifle his sneeze by pinching nose and close mouth. He got neck and vocal cord damage.  Neck swell up coz of soft tissue damaged.  Take weeks to recover. 

7 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

I couldn't even got into the driver's seat, let alone drive... 

27 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Any cause of suddenly increased intra-abdominal pressure - sneezing, coughing, straining to pass motion- can cause and exacerbate back issues and hernias.

The effects of a really violent sneeze can be profound because of simple physics - it's an impulsive force, a large change in momentum over a very short time interval, which can lead to a sudden spike in intra-abdominal pressure. 

To mitigate the effects, always brace your back when a sneeze is imminent. Tighten your abdominal muscles and flex your knees. Don't ever bend your spine, that's the worst thing you can do. 

The human body is often romanticised as a marvel, but I always considered it a pretty shitty "design" in many ways - actually just a hodgepodge of evolutionary accidents of sorts (being an atheist, that's completely consistent with my worldview). We have to do what we can to help our poorly put together anatomies from self-destructing prematurely.

I learnt not to hold back a sneeze from my angmoh ex colleague...a demure soft spoken lady she might be but when come to sneezing...she was thunderous... 

She said we sneeze becos the body sense something foreign or bad in our body and try to purge...holding back would only backfire any germs or bacteria into the brain and kill our brain cells...🤪

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

39 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Evolution and this cascade of incidental mutations is pretty amazing by itself.

• Praise 3

4 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Confirm and chop as well

I kena twice...luckily both times just pulled muscles. Pain liked Fxxxxx!!!

Could hardly walk for a week or so, followed by walked like a very old man for weeks 

My MIL could walked faster than me during those weeks...really chao turtle 😅

@Jamesc also got the same problem ...... MIL walks faster than him, whole life some more 🤣🤣walks in her shadows🤣...... Ok back to topic 

• Haha! 6

3 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

WOAH. no more pepperish soup for me anymore!

Nothing to do with peppering soup , sneezing can be due to dust also is bigger bang .....but all depends on your disc/vertebrae got spasm usually numbered by L1,L2,L3 ..... well this is in my case ..... all “koyak  no juice “ so the muscle spasm or jerk or nerve impingement is the cause of the pain due to sudden compression  and can sciatic nerve can go up to legs too 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1