Singapore to import electricity from Malaysia under two-year trial

Ysc3

Twincharged

Singapore will import electricity from Peninsular Malaysia under a two-year trial, said the Energy Market Authority (EMA) on Monday (Oct 26).

The trial aims to "assess and refine the technical and regulatory frameworks" for importing electricity into Singapore, said the authority in a press release.

This would help to facilitate larger-scale imports from the region in future, added EMA.

"To meet our climate change commitments, there is a need to change the way Singapore produces and uses energy," said EMA. 

"Tapping on regional power grids for cleaner energy resources is one strategy to further diversify Singapore’s energy supply," it added.

In a keynote speech delivered at the opening of the Singapore International Energy Week, Minister for Trade and Industry Chan Chun Sing said that the move is part of Singapore's plan to strengthen the "regional grid architecture".

"We will kick this off by importing 100 megawatts (MW) of electricity imports for a trial period of two years, to see how the market works ... This will allow the region to share the clean energy sources that different countries may have, and we’ll start this with Malaysia," he said.

"Once the concept takes off, we’ll be able to extend this to other regional players."

EMA plans to issue a Request for Proposal by March next year for 100 MW of electricity imports. This will make up about 1.5 per cent of Singapore’s peak electricity demand. 

Under this Request for Proposal, electricity imports could begin as early as end-2021, via an existing electricity interconnector between Singapore and Malaysia.

An importer will be selected through an open and competitive selection process, said EMA.

"Potential importers will have to demonstrate their supply reliability, credibility and track record, ability to secure demand from Singapore consumers, and manage the carbon output of generation supply," it added.

↡ Advertisement

975108202_tenor(9).gif.d72d6934aed6743b469399012cf25b91.gif

1434086083_giphy(1).gif.3edeaec3c73a7a8c102197213d13ecdb.gif

Confirm that a minister or ex minister will helm the company/ministry of POWER, receiving million dollars annual salary.

If not, I chop R A D X ku ku jiao off

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

14 minutes ago, Staff69 said:

975108202_tenor(9).gif.d72d6934aed6743b469399012cf25b91.gif

1434086083_giphy(1).gif.3edeaec3c73a7a8c102197213d13ecdb.gif

Confirm that a minister or ex minister will helm the company/ministry of POWER, receiving million dollars annual salary.

If not, I chop R A D X ku ku jiao off

Then @RadXwill still have PHANTOM cock syndrome. 😂😂😂👻👻👻

• Haha! 3

We have 4 taps for water, now we need a 4-switch strategies for electricity too?  

Why bother to work with someone that cannot be relied upon?  

• Praise 3

When I young time, my ah gong told me I must be self sufficient. If not people close our tap then we die liao, as seen in ww2. Don't even need to fight.

So, he raised tax, raised this, raised that, a painful one, just so we could build something at some bay using some special tech to turn pee into portable water or turn sea water into portable water. 

Then my ah gong told me I must serve army lah. If not other country man come here take my woman and also make my mother their maid. 

Sibei sad. After pay and pay and waste 2.5 years my life, then now say we even electricity also want to buy from other people. And I see indeed some singaporean mothers go orpit help us wash cup, wash toilet. I always treat them with 100% respect because I see next time I also like that. The take my woman part...I think don't elaborate liao. 

My ah gong is really suay chui. Suay mouth. Talk what shit tio what shit. 

Edited by Calinlin
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

their government threaten us on the water deal, bridge, HSR etc, the only perpetuity in their policies is unpredictability, we  havent got enough from the haphazard behavior of  their government ? Our government never learn? 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Kyrios said:

I thought we have some excess capacity..thats why olivia lum was decimated? Anyone can confirm why pappies doing this?

This is called flogging a dead horse? Wahaha

Edited by Voodooman
  • Haha! 2

As of 2018 and 2019, EMA says there is a massive oversupply of electricity here, to the point whereby Senoko is seeking government's aid. Why the need to explore importing electricity from Malaysia and elsewhere regionally in the future?

For the record, Malaysia also burns fossil fuels to generate most of their electricity, pretty much like us. So Minister Chan's statement to import alternative "cleaner" energy sources is a moot point right now. Technically cleaner for us is because the source is located in Malaysia, not within Singapore. 

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/energy-commodities/power-generation-sector-crushed-by-massive-overcapacity

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/senoko-energy-requests-aid-from-government-amid-overcapacity-in-power-generation-market

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 4

1 hour ago, Lethalstrike said:

As of 2018 and 2019, EMA says there is a massive oversupply of electricity here, to the point whereby Senoko is seeking government's aid. Why the need to explore importing electricity from Malaysia and elsewhere regionally in the future?

For the record, Malaysia also burns fossil fuels to generate most of their electricity, pretty much like us. So Minister Chan's statement to import alternative "cleaner" energy sources is a moot point right now. Technically cleaner for us is because the source is located in Malaysia, not within Singapore. 

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/energy-commodities/power-generation-sector-crushed-by-massive-overcapacity

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/senoko-energy-requests-aid-from-government-amid-overcapacity-in-power-generation-market

I remember Malaysia is still burning coal while we are already on gas and some solar.

Maybe from a big solar farm in Malaysia? 

2 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

their government threaten us on the water deal, bridge, HSR etc, the only perpetuity in their policies is unpredictability, we  havent got enough from the haphazard behavior of  their government ? Our government never learn? 

Why is it surprising our government never learn when we the electorate also never learn?

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Lethalstrike said:

Then I hope Malaysia starts charging our gahmen huge tariffs on that electricity, using the same logic our gahmen used to levy tax on the poor chap who tried to bring the first Tesla into Singapore. 😂😂😂

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Kyrios said:

I thought we have some excess capacity..thats why olivia lum was decimated? Anyone can confirm why pappies doing this?

I'm sure you heard the rumours about how Lum was jinxed. Sounds almost silly to believe such petty personal crap may be involved but having seen the way these jokers have been "governing" of late, nothing much surprises me anymore.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2