Understanding Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Nowadays an anti lock braking system is used in almost all modern vehicles. This system prevents accidents like this, where you lose control of the steering as you apply the brakes. With ABS you will be able to steer the vehicle properly and it also reduces the braking distance. What is ABS? How is it able to prevent accidents due to the braking? We will explore these questions in this video.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

IMHO.
Understand is one thing.  Know how to use is another. 

Those that the ABS saved them from accident,  hands up !

Maybe also can share some tips on how to activate ABS safely for experience.  😎

• Praise 3

1 minute ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
Understand is one thing.  Know how to use is another. 

Those that the ABS saved them from accident,  hands up !

Maybe also can share some tips on how to activate ABS safely for experience.  😎

A lot of times, ABS is NOT activated due to did not slam brake hard enough.

That's why Brake Assist was invented.

To activate ABS, you need to slam brake hard.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

IMHO.
IIRC,   I slammed on the brake pedal,  the ABS only activated when I turn the steering to clear the obstacle.
Do share your experience if any. 

Which is why I asked those questions.
My understanding ( not from the video) is that ABS will be activated only when the wheels are detected to be out of sync.
Thus,  let's say high speed in a straight line,  there is no traction lost between the wheels,  ABS  will not be activated.
IIRC,  I tried once or twice like that.  

2 minutes ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
IIRC,   I slammed on the brake pedal,  the ABS only activated when I turn the steering to clear the obstacle.
Do share your experience if any. 

Which is why I asked those questions.
My understanding ( not from the video) is that ABS will be activated only when the wheels are detected to be out of sync.
Thus,  let's say high speed in a straight line,  there is no traction lost between the wheels,  ABS  will not be activated.
IIRC,  I tried once or twice like that.  

Till now, i am not sure whether i ever activated ABS.

For corner, rarely i need to slam brake hard.

1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

Eh...  it is best to experience it during peace time and in a controlled environment - to know the pulsation and sound.
Then will less likely to release.

I am sure i had experienced abs kicked in before, a few times, in zham brake situations. It felt like there were gears in the front wheel axle and they kenna jammed with a grrrrrrr sound and feeling.  Long long ago in driving school, we were taught to brake and release and brake and release so the brakes dont lock up. Now with abs the correct thing to do is just zham and press tight, the abs will do the releasing correct?

• Praise 4

1 minute ago, Columbian78 said:

I am sure i had experienced abs kicked in before, a few times, in zham brake situations. It felt like there were gears in the front wheel axle and they kenna jammed with a grrrrrrr sound and feeling.  Long long ago in driving school, we were taught to brake and release and brake and release so the brakes dont lock up. Now with abs the correct thing to do is just zham and press tight, the abs will do the releasing correct?

Yes, zham, press tight and steer. 

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

One friend said he experienced it once many (>10) years ago. When asked to describe it, he could only said that it was like a gear that's turning, but got mechanism there blocking, so the moving parts of the gear will keep hitting - and facing resistance - from the obstacle... causing a lod thud thud thud thud.... sound (which is like the moving parts keep hitting the obstacle again and again. All this while the vehicle braked...

He also added that it's something so obvious(ly different), that there's no way anyone will not realise it's the ABS being activated...

By that, i guess i have encountered it before...

• Praise 1

Still need good tires in the end. If lousy tires which keep losing grip, then the braking distance will still be longer even with ABS. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 3

11 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Nowadays an anti lock braking system is used in almost all modern vehicles. This system prevents accidents like this, where you lose control of the steering as you apply the brakes. With ABS you will be able to steer the vehicle properly and it also reduces the braking distance. What is ABS? How is it able to prevent accidents due to the braking? We will explore these questions in this video.

I think hor, beside ABS, there is another little mentioned feature call EBD - Electronic/Equal Brake Distribution lor Then that VSC - Vehicle Stability Control lor.

Anyway, if the ABS sensor is HALF BROKEN - Sometime work Sometime don't work then big problem lor.  

I ever have this problem with my previous Kia Carens lor, it drastically increase braking distance lor.  I ever banged into a Jaguar lor.  Luckily, Jaguar HAS EVEN BETTER sound proofing and suspension ba, the driver never notice and DRIVE OFF.  Heng ah ...... if not jialat lor.

Kia have a RECALL in USA on the ABS, call C&C is ...... WHAT Recall ?  No problem leh...

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Apple-Tree said:

I think hor, beside ABS, there is another little mentioned feature call EBD - Electronic/Equal Brake Distribution lor Then that VSC - Vehicle Stability Control lor.

Anyway, if the ABS sensor is HALF BROKEN - Sometime work Sometime don't work then big problem lor.  

I ever have this problem with my previous Kia Carens lor, it drastically increase braking distance lor.  I ever banged into a Jaguar lor.  Luckily, Jaguar HAS EVEN BETTER sound proofing and suspension ba, the driver never notice and DRIVE OFF.  Heng ah ...... if not jialat lor.

Kia have a RECALL in USA on the ABS, call C&C is ...... WHAT Recall ?  No problem leh...

Were you on Yokohama aspec DB in the wet? Hahaha those are the most CMI tires I have ever used. 

Supercharged

i can trigger my car's ABS and traction control as much as I want

my basement car park has a section that is always wet by car wash shampoo (smooth cemented surface), it is as slippery as ice

the vibration felt from the pedal is the combination of pulses from the hydraulic solenoid valves + hydraulic pump pressuring the circuit 

traction control is more fun when it kicks in (my car is FR)

• Praise 2

9 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Were you on Yokohama aspec DB in the wet? Hahaha those are the most CMI tires I have ever used. 

Its great in the dry, but like driving on ice if damp or wet. Also very tricky when you have wet dry patches. But those were the days which I honed my skills, awareness and sensitivity 🤭 That was our family car then. 

• Praise 1

16 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Not required to slam hard, if skid also will activate ABS. that's the function of anti skid lah.. personally experience it twice.

if need really slam brake such hard I would say the ABS of that car is a failures.

44 minutes ago, Contipro said:

Not required to slam hard, if skid also will activate ABS. that's the function of anti skid lah.. personally experience it twice.

if need really slam brake such hard I would say the ABS of that car is a failures.

ABS is anti-lock brake system le.

Anti-skid is traction control.

If not required to slam hard, why would Merc invent brake assist?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1