Tesla Model 3 Owner Uses Car's App To Trick And Outsmart Criminals

Carbon82

These thieves don't seem to have a clue, but the whole story is pretty comical and informative.

amJTstT.png

Tesla-App.jpg

Tesla Model 3 owner Annabelle Brett was alerted that her car's alarm was triggered. The notification came to her phone via the Tesla Mobile app. Of course, she headed to the locked parking garage to check on her car, only to find it had gone missing. However, she knew the car would have Sentry Mode footage of the incident, and she also knew she could track its whereabouts using the app. 

Brett was smart to take a friend along, as well as contact the authorities. While Brett was tracking the Model 3 and proceeding to its location, she was also able to use the Tesla Mobile app to activate Valet Mode, among other features not directly related to safety or security. This means she could honk the horn, flash the car's lights, open and close the roof and windows, control media, and more.

Brett took full advantage of the app's features to not only slow the car down but also to mess with the car's features to assure she had the thieves' attention. It didn't take long before the criminals changed plans, left Brett's Model 3, and tried to flee. The thieves were in such a hurry, they left one of their driver's licenses in the car. It didn't matter much though, since Brett had the incident on camera, and one of the criminals was easily identified.

https://www.facebook.com/ACurrentAffair9/videos/3369061069857292/

Am I the only one here who have concerns with such remote access features (over an app), which can manipulate a moving car? What if someone other then the owner pickup the phone and started messing around with the car when the owner is driving it? Accident awaiting to happen?

Imagine @Jamesc is driving his newly purchase Tesla to meet his small three, but left his phone at home, and her beloved MIL heck into his phone and started messing around with the driving parameters while he is behind the wheel? :XD:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 7

9 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Imagine @Jamesc is driving his newly purchase Tesla to meet his small three, but left his phone at home, and her beloved MIL heck into his phone and started messing around with the driving parameters while he is behind the wheel? :XD:

So dangerous.

My MIL could do this to me.

:grin:

image.thumb.png.214d1f98d9c11149d7a547dddc909e16.png

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

So dangerous.

My MIL could do this to me.

:grin:

image.thumb.png.214d1f98d9c11149d7a547dddc909e16.png

BANG!!

That's what you get for banging my little girl. 😂

• Haha! 1

When you are over reliant on car technology, and take things for granted, one fine day, when the lane change blind spot warning beep fails to function, or worse, the collision avoidance system fails to function - this is what you get. A costly lesson.

Edited by Vinceng
↡ Advertisement