2021 Mitsuoka Buddy

Carbon82

3 hours ago, Jamesc said:

They are not ripping off other people's designs they are using designs that other people long ago abandoned.

They are going for a retro look that caters to a market other car makers don't want to serve any more.

:grin:

If you made clothes like this I don't think any haute couture fashion label will be suing you for stealing their designs.

image.thumb.png.9ee3d621af94f0a28dbfb680fed18559.png

I can't argue with that. 

If no one wants it currently, it can't be ripping off. 

It must be recycling. 

Recycling is good. Greta Thunberg say one. 

I wonder when they'll start recycling other "classics" like Trabants, Ladas, ZiLs and the Hindustan Ambassador.

If they don't show equal love to all those unloved cars, that just isn't fair. 😁

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

On 10/30/2020 at 10:10 AM, Turboflat4 said:

Mitsuoka is like the only Japanese brand that's still playing by the old Korean playbook of ripping off others to make lacklustre knockoffs. 

The new Koreans have long moved on from that. Only the Chinese are still doing this, but even then, they rip off more atas vehicles, not these. And they still have some innovations of their own, I believe.

I must respectfully disagree with your view. To begin with, Mitsuoka is not really an automotive manufacturer, but coachbuilder, which produces modified modern cars with customized designs through extensive efforts of replacing bodywork and parts. Not fair to compare them with those fly by night Chinese auto manufacturers, which shamelessly produce 'photocopies' of the better known models and sticking on a badge of their own... (or for that matter old days Hyundai, SsangYong, Samsung, etc.)

While I agree that many of the model in their lineup does not look more appealing than the original one they were based on, I give kudos to Mitsuoka for their creativeness and broad move to add some retro elements into the otherwise 'boring' modernized design. I am not a big fan of their British looking Galue, Viewt, Ryugi and Himiko, but their limited edition Rock Star (based on MX-5 / Miata) and this Buddy does interest me. [:)]

On 10/30/2020 at 10:20 AM, Jamesc said:

They are not ripping off other people's designs they are using designs that other people long ago abandoned.

They are going for a retro look that caters to a market other car makers don't want to serve any more.

Yes, you are not wrong to say that. It is just like some would go to great length to modify their Suzuki Every mini van into original VW Combi, Citroen Type H van and such. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but maybe also because they can not longer get the real stuff without costing them an arm or leg... [sweatdrop]

On 10/30/2020 at 1:13 PM, Sturtles said:

Yea, I could re-live my childhood of driving one of these retro things with blingy chrome bumpers.. 

Am sure it will be the envy of may coffeeshop uncles...

Although I am not into the old American design culture, this Buddy does grow on me. I think we are in the same age group. :D :D 

• Praise 11
  • Haha! 1

On 10/30/2020 at 1:49 PM, Carbon82 said:

I must respectfully disagree with your view. To begin with, Mitsuoka is not really an automotive manufacturer, but coachbuilder, which produces modified modern cars with customized designs through extensive efforts of replacing bodywork and parts. Not fair to compare them with those fly by night Chinese auto manufacturers, which shamelessly produce 'photocopies' of the better known models and sticking on a badge of their own... (or for that matter old days Hyundai, SsangYong, Samsung, etc.)

While I agree that many of the model in their lineup does not look more appealing than the original one they were based on, I give kudos to Mitsuoka for their creativeness and broad move to add some retro elements into the otherwise 'boring' modernized design. I am not a big fan of their British looking Galue, Viewt, Ryugi and Himiko, but their limited edition Rock Star (based on MX-5 / Miata) and this Buddy does interest me. [:)]

Yes, you are not wrong to say that. It is just like some would go to great length to modify their Suzuki Every mini van into original VW Combi, Citroen Type H van and such. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but maybe also because they can not longer get the real stuff without costing them an arm or leg... [sweatdrop]

Although I am not into the old American design culture, this Buddy does grow on me. I think we are in the same age group. :D :D 

I respect your opinion. I guess my own is coloured by the fact that none of their models appeals to me personally. Mainly because they have no 'go'. Even the Orochi is too much show, not enough go. If they made a proper car with over 300 hp stock at least, my view might change.

• Praise 1

24 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Probably the most non revolting model in its range...😁

The more of a revolution, the more the revulsion. 😁

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

The more of a revolution, the more the revulsion. 😁

"Non revolting" is the highest compliment I can give to a Mitsuoka product. 😁

I still need to get my eyes cleaned whenever I see the last remaining unit left in Singapore named after some stupid Japanese serpent. But then again, Japanese are known for stupid names such as Toyota's GR aka Goondu Racing. 

• Haha! 2

People that criticise Mitsuoka miss the point.

Its not meant to be liked by everybody.

Its only meant to appeal to a few.

If Mitsuoka made a car that everyone likes

its not a Mitsuoka.

• Praise 3

On 10/30/2020 at 9:00 AM, Carbon82 said:

At the front, the Mitsuoka Buddy reminds of the 1980s Chevrolet Tahoe thanks to the big chrome grille and split squared headlights. Seen from the side, the front end is also more upright than on the SUV it is based on.

Really love the front.  reminds me of the American Ford trucks of the 80s.  Here's one of those

Ford Truck.jpg

• Praise 1

On 10/30/2020 at 9:00 AM, Carbon82 said:

@Watwheels and @Sturtles favorite Rock Star has a new Buddy! (pun intended) [:)]

Wanna to guess which model it is based on?

2.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

kljcwwc8beyth9t54dcn.png

13.png

7.png

At the front, the Mitsuoka Buddy reminds of the 1980s Chevrolet Tahoe thanks to the big chrome grille and split squared headlights. Seen from the side, the front end is also more upright than on the SUV it is based on.

Mitsuoka rips off the original SUV's front end and replaces it with a chrome egg-crate-style grille with a pair of stacked headlights on each side. For a modern touch, there are skinny LED running lights in the central crosspiece. The company also adds a shiny chrome bumper, a hood with sharper creases, and boxier fenders, which makes the area ahead of the windshield vaguely resemble the classic Chevys.

The Buddy also receives a modified rear end with styling that more generally evokes the styling of '80s Chevy SUVs without directly taking from them like at the front. There are now vertical taillights and sharper creases for the rear hatch with a two-tone finish for the area in the middle versus the rest of the body color. For a matching touch, there is a chrome bumper like the one for the nose.

We don’t get to see the interior yet, but we should expect Mitsuoka to leave its imprint on the cabin as well. For now, the company has announced the color palette, which consists of 11 monotone body colors and six two-tone liveries.

Totally in love with this (as I like 80s Chevy Tahoes/Silverados/Blazers etc. and all things american), would totally get it, win win with japanese toyota reliable and fuel efficient hybrid powertrain, plus with the TNGA platform, handling should be pretty decent

• Praise 2

On 10/30/2020 at 4:03 PM, Hamburger said:

I am blown away by the 70s American car look. Really nice.

Ya like if want American retro look but Japanese reliability this is the one to choose!

On 10/30/2020 at 5:44 PM, Lethalstrike said:

"Non revolting" is the highest compliment I can give to a Mitsuoka product. 😁

I still need to get my eyes cleaned whenever I see the last remaining unit left in Singapore named after some stupid Japanese serpent. But then again, Japanese are known for stupid names such as Toyota's GR aka Goondu Racing. 

Wah lau so bad call them Goondu Racing :)

Skalli you see this bugger in the next fast and furious movie hor... 😁

↡ Advertisement