Further Studies

QQDreamer

HI All,

Am planning to further study to a degree course for an upgrade and career progression.

These few days have been looking through varies pte school website offering part time degree courses. eg: PSB , kaplan, MDIS. I have a diploma in business adminstration. So decided to enquire with one of the institution to find out more. I was recommended to do a top up degree which will complete in 12 months.

After graduation, will be award for a Bachelor of arts in business management and these top up degree is suitable for working adults  doing part timeand lectures and tutorials are conducted during weekdays.Top up degree is basically direct entry to 3rd year of the degree course.

May i check if anyone here have taken up top up degree is this type of degree recognised for career progression. Seems like the award of certifiation is still a degree after the completion.

Or shall i take up direct entry using my diploma (exemption for 1st year) to 2nd year and to 3rd year and complete it with a degree? Of cause both type be in Top up degree and a 2 yr degree price wise there is a hugh difference.

Any advice from any bros or sis whom have taken a top up degree to share on this so that i can decide on which route to take.

Thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

when did you get your diploma? which school offer this top up degree?

I would start from scratch with the exemption that you can get.

• Praise 1

you shd choose the cheapest option that lets you, bona fide in good faith and touch your heart, tick the box “university graduate” in the job application form.  

I think that is all doing either option gets you.  

1 minute ago, Chongster said:

you shd choose the cheapest option that lets you, bona fide in good faith and touch your heart, tick the box “university graduate” in the job application form.  

I think that is all doing either option gets you.  

I've seen some job applications where they ask you how long your degree course is. For 12 months part time degree, I think employers also know it is rubbish.

• Praise 1

Good to upgrade but i personally still think in sg, it is better to study your degree in govt local uni, dont go to those private school offering degree course. Cause i find some employer indirectly do not recognize the degree you get. Although all private school which offered degree courses here is recognize by MOE la. Employers would find these external degree from private school is inferior, even the course is 2-3 years. They would not pay you salary same as those local govt uni de, even though so called you have a degree. Better dont waste money and time studying in those private school degree.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 8

Can get a degree with just one year? Chao turtle I spent 3 years without any exemption... 

I'd go for it since it's only a year to attainment... but you'll need to fully assess your other commitment before you embark on that journey... 

I'd also say brush up the English first...i suffered becos I mastered the Rojak England instead of Royal England in schools...writing essay was no joking matter if couldn''t articulate the thoughts well through written words. Half my lecturers were English, the other half from India (for maths, econs, accounting)...they were all good teachers...only we working adults were as clear as mud to what they were trying to convey to us...😁 Many classmates dropped out along the way...work-study-work-homework-work-play-work-study...sibeh xiong 😅

When I eventually presented my cert to my boss... he didn't know what to do with it...told me he'd talk to HR...in the end I got meagre increment...chao turtle...limpeh spent 3 years plus thousands of dollah...😂

Later, he taught me how to write office email...I scored well and became his valuable asset as I could provide him many "ammunition" to shoot others back...from then on my subsequent increments were more lucrative... 

So, in a nutshell, only you'll know what's best in your own circumstances...but a degree is still a degree regardless...especially useful in civil service or public sector but a 2nd upper is more wanted...

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 4

1 hour ago, StreamRSZ said:

HI All,

Am planning to further study to a degree course for an upgrade and career progression.

These few days have been looking through varies pte school website offering part time degree courses. eg: PSB , kaplan, MDIS. I have a diploma in business adminstration. So decided to enquire with one of the institution to find out more. I was recommended to do a top up degree which will complete in 12 months.

After graduation, will be award for a Bachelor of arts in business management and these top up degree is suitable for working adults  doing part timeand lectures and tutorials are conducted during weekdays.Top up degree is basically direct entry to 3rd year of the degree course.

May i check if anyone here have taken up top up degree is this type of degree recognised for career progression. Seems like the award of certifiation is still a degree after the completion.

Or shall i take up direct entry using my diploma (exemption for 1st year) to 2nd year and to 3rd year and complete it with a degree? Of cause both type be in Top up degree and a 2 yr degree price wise there is a hugh difference.

Any advice from any bros or sis whom have taken a top up degree to share on this so that i can decide on which route to take.

Thanks in advance.

IMHO.
If you intend to stay in the same industry,   do look for courses that are specific.
If you want value,  go for SUSS. 

• Praise 1

22 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

I've seen some job applications where they ask you how long your degree course is. For 12 months part time degree, I think employers also know it is rubbish.

this company, the HR dept is good, or kenna burn before!

9 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Can get a degree with just one year? Chao turtle I spent 3 years without any exemption... 

I'd go for it since it's only a year to attainment... but you'll need to fully assess your other commitment before you embark on that journey... 

I'd also say brush up the English first...i suffered becos I mastered the Rojak England instead of Royal England in schools...writing essay was no joking matter if couldn''t articulate the thoughts well through written words. Half my lecturers were English, the other half from India (for maths, econs, accounting)...they were all good teachers...only we working adults were as clear as mud to what they were trying to convey to us...😁 Many classmates dropped out along the way...work-study-work-homework-work-play-work-study...sibeh xiong 😅

When I eventually presented my cert to my boss... he didn't know what to do with it...told me he'd talk to HR...in the end I got meagre increment...chao turtle...limpeh spent 3 years plus thousands of dollah...😂

Later, he taught me how to write office email...I scored well and became his valuable asset as I could provide him many "ammunition" to shoot others back...from then on my subsequent increments were more lucrative... 

So, in a nutshell, only you'll know what's best in your own circumstances...but a degree is still a degree regardless...especially useful in civil service or public sector but a 2nd upper is more wanted...

this is gem advice. 

in an organization, look to what you can really help your boss with, and the rest will come...

• Praise 2

6 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

IMHO.
In a way, I agree with most of what you say.
Today,  skill is important.  If TS's  immediate boss cannot capitalize him as an asset,  what he obtained would be no longer relevant.   If may make the TS feel worse. 
The bottom line is,  one will be only as good as one's immediate boss.

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
In a way, I agree with most of what you say.
Today,  skill is important.  If TS's  immediate boss cannot capitalize him as an asset,  what he obtained would be no longer relevant.   If may make the TS feel worse. 
The bottom line is,  one will be only as good as one's immediate boss.

waiting for a good boss to come is like buying hong bao Toto every year 没有我的份 [laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

in my 2 cents, for business degree, get the cheapest and shortest duration, as that paper just provide you a entry cert to the company. ( but dont enrolled in those Uni that nobody knows) Private companies don't really care about part time or full time. It is who you/they know in your industry and your attitude during the interview. 

There are other certs that are more valuable, depending on your trade, such as Safety Officer/Auditor, IT certifications such as Certified Microsoft XXXXX, Fire & Safety Manager, IP Patent Agent, etc that once obtained, can bring your salary to the next level.

Edited by Hondaes8

12 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

waiting for a good boss to come is like buying hong bao Toto every year 没有我的份 [laugh]

IMHO.
A  good boss must possess the skills of coaching and mentoring.   
Such skills only comes with experience.
That is why,   a degree is never the same as the paths to them are different.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, StreamRSZ said:

HI All,

Thanks in advance.

You should try WSQ course and online course on coursera that is related to the degree you wanna partake.

You will have a rough sense if the degree will help you with your career anot.

Sometimes, I find provate degree is for the namesake of you are a degree holder only, no practicality when coming to your career progression. Some WSQ course and online course will target the current work that you are doing and how to improve on it.

I see more value in the latter ones.

Anyway, I no money to take on a degree. hahaha. will go in debt if I do so. 🤣

• Praise 1

People leave or stay in the company all because of their bosses...colleagues not that important...without any hard feeling...everyone is there to do their job and earn a celery to bring home...unless there are idle ones or tipu makan ones or back stabbers to unbalance the Chi in the workplace 

Bosses like to hire people who can fill the gaps because of their own shortcomings or be on his/hers side of armoury...be that one who can help him/her but make sure they are the reciprocal type and would shield you instead of sell you out as pawn when times are bad. 

Top management wanted to put my head on the chopping board during recent retrenchment exercise but my boss defended me even though with one killed can save 2-3...but I’ve proven to my bosses overtime that I can do 2-3 with one celery...still cheap cheap lah 

• Praise 6

53 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

Good boss? Difficult to find la. Anyway, how to define good boss le? Lol.

↡ Advertisement