askST: What do I do if my car is caught in a flash flood?

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

source: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ask-st-what-do-i-do-if-my-car-is-caught-in-a-flash-flood?utm_medium=social&utm_source=telegram&utm_campaign=sttg

hzflood1102.jpg?itok=aZ5O3G81&timestamp=

Erm. does the yellow scoop really helps?

Singapore experienced flash floods at three locations on Monday (Nov 2). One car was seen submerged. ST answers questions on what to do if your car is near a flash flood.

Q. How do I know whether I can drive through a flash flood?

It depends largely on the amount of ground clearance that one's car has, said The Straits Times' senior transport correspondent Christopher Tan.

Generally, it is not safe to drive through a flood. A typical family car has a ground clearance of 120 to 140mm, which is not very high.

But if necessary, one should gauge the water depth by looking at the road curbs. If the curbs are still visible or just below water level, it is relatively safe to proceed.

If the curb is not visible, it is riskier to proceed unless you are in a tall vehicle like an SUV or a truck. Otherwise, you may end up driving into a drain, canal or over a ledge.

Q. What should I do when driving on a submerged road?

Drive very slowly and steadily in a low gear to keep your engine speed high and constant until your car is out of the water, suggests the Automobile Association of Singapore (AAS).

This prevents water from entering the exhaust pipe, which will damage electronics. Driving slowly also reduces the risk of losing steering control.

To avoid stopping in the middle of the flood, allow oncoming traffic as well as vehicles going in the same direction to pass.

Do not lift your foot or apply brakes midway to minimise turbulence and backflow that can lead to water intake.

After clearing the flooded area, apply the brakes gently for a few minutes to rid them of moisture, which may have impacted their performance.

Q. What should I do if my car stalls while driving through a flash flood?

Do not attempt to restart it as that may damage the engine, said the AAS.

Ensure the car's bonnet is closed because you may have difficulty restarting the engine.

Switch on the hazard lights to alert other drivers around you and call for help.

Q. Should I abandon my stalled car?

It is important to leave the car and get to higher ground if the water level reaches the bottom edge of the car door, said the AAS.

Avoid waiting for the car to get submerged as the doors may not open and you will be trapped inside.

Moving water at a depth of 15 cm can make it unstable for an adult to walk.

Upon exiting the car, call for a tow truck to avoid causing congestion on the road.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

Park at nearest MSCP with coffeeshop nearby.

Go coffeeshop and order egg + toast + coffee and surf MCF.

:XD:

and if on expressway, get off the expressway at the next exit.

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 10

8 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

source: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ask-st-what-do-i-do-if-my-car-is-caught-in-a-flash-flood?utm_medium=social&utm_source=telegram&utm_campaign=sttg

hzflood1102.jpg?itok=aZ5O3G81&timestamp=

Singapore experienced flash floods at three locations on Monday (Nov 2). One car was seen submerged. ST answers questions on what to do if your car is near a flash flood.

Q. How do I know whether I can drive through a flash flood?

It depends largely on the amount of ground clearance that one's car has, said The Straits Times' senior transport correspondent Christopher Tan.

Generally, it is not safe to drive through a flood. A typical family car has a ground clearance of 120 to 140mm, which is not very high.

But if necessary, one should gauge the water depth by looking at the road curbs. If the curbs are still visible or just below water level, it is relatively safe to proceed.

If the curb is not visible, it is riskier to proceed unless you are in a tall vehicle like an SUV or a truck. Otherwise, you may end up driving into a drain, canal or over a ledge.

Q. What should I do when driving on a submerged road?

Drive very slowly and steadily in a low gear to keep your engine speed high and constant until your car is out of the water, suggests the Automobile Association of Singapore (AAS).

This prevents water from entering the exhaust pipe, which will damage electronics. Driving slowly also reduces the risk of losing steering control.

To avoid stopping in the middle of the flood, allow oncoming traffic as well as vehicles going in the same direction to pass.

Do not lift your foot or apply brakes midway to minimise turbulence and backflow that can lead to water intake.

After clearing the flooded area, apply the brakes gently for a few minutes to rid them of moisture, which may have impacted their performance.

Q. What should I do if my car stalls while driving through a flash flood?

Do not attempt to restart it as that may damage the engine, said the AAS.

Ensure the car's bonnet is closed because you may have difficulty restarting the engine.

Switch on the hazard lights to alert other drivers around you and call for help.

Q. Should I abandon my stalled car?

It is important to leave the car and get to higher ground if the water level reaches the bottom edge of the car door, said the AAS.

Avoid waiting for the car to get submerged as the doors may not open and you will be trapped inside.

Moving water at a depth of 15 cm can make it unstable for an adult to walk.

Upon exiting the car, call for a tow truck to avoid causing congestion on the road.

120 to 140mm is very low....even lower than mine, maybe lower than urs too 😂🤣

1 minute ago, Blueray said:

Then u find out the coffeeshop flooded and ur bread and eggs floating around. 

• Haha! 7

2 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Not say ccb pxp out loud first meh

Then pxp wan shui for the free undercarriage car wash... 😁

If I ever kanna *touch wood* ccb pxp is way too short... it will be few paragraphs if expletives liao.

• Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Blueray said:

In reality this could help save  ten of thousands, my friend  drove his BM through a flood and had to replace the entire engine, the cost was more than 40k. So please do not attempt to drive through  a flood. I would rather park my lao pok kar somewhere that is safe and take a cab home.  

• Praise 7

11 minutes ago, Phluvcat said:

Then u find out the coffeeshop flooded and ur bread and eggs floating around. 

just put my feet up on the chair and drink my coffee lor.

zen.

for those who are caught in heavy rain while in the west, I recommend taking shelter at Taman Jurong market. Car park and hawker food all on upper floors, and got nice food too.

[:p]

no point driving in mega heavy rain and trying one's luck with floods lah. 

• Praise 8

12 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

In reality this could help save  ten of thousands, my friend  drove his BM through a flood and had to replace the entire engine, the cost was more than 40k. So please do not attempt to drive through  a flood. I would rather park my lao pok kar somewhere that is safe and take a cab home.  

yeah, and the wake of a passing bus or lorry  (for sure they can drive faster than sedans in a flood) also raises water levels by a few additional inches, end up water gets pushed into the engine bay. 

most of the time the mega heavy rain is just an hour only. 

so my auto response is just to head to coffeeshop. [laugh]

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

15 minutes ago, Blueray said:

zen.

for those who are caught in heavy rain while in the west, I recommend taking shelter at Taman Jurong market. Car park and hawker food all on upper floors, and got nice food too.

Opp the carpark is semi basement... 😂

37 minutes ago, Blueray said:

and if on expressway, get off the expressway at the next exit.

Sudden flash flood, all traffic might come to a stand still, might not able to get off at the next exit or go to the nearest MSCP to la kopi. Lol. So during super heavy rain, best is dont drive on the road if you are still not out on the road yet. Lol.

4 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

In the last, I don't recall such flash floods occuring during heavy rain.

After the infamous "once in 50 years flood" at Orchard Rd in 2013, it seems a common occurrence.

https://www.onlinecitizenasia.com/2018/05/26/orchard-rd-floods-once-in-50-years-after-spending-2b/

The ppl who clear our longkang was locked in Dorm for a long time.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

27 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Not safe to take a cab home cause the cab might also ended stranded somewhere where there is flash flood. Best is to wait for the rain and flood to go off, if not take a train home. Unless train tunnel also flooded then really sway to the max liao.

• Haha! 2

24 minutes ago, Blueray said:

zen.

Agreed, taman jurong market car park and hawker centre super good. Even the surrounding is flooded until like yellow river also no scare. But remember dont park opposite the hawker centre carpark since it is a basement carpark, althought over there also have one coffeeshop to la kopi. I used to go to this taman jurong hawker centre to makan my bf/lunch/dinner when i used to work around there. [laugh]

World class country facing third world issues. 

First it was the mass mrt stations blackout, now road flooding issues. Still got what ah? Jobless rate at its highest?

We are going backwards. From world class to dunno what. Sigh...

↡ Advertisement