sgroadaccidents - hold a wake by the roadside and taking up a full lane of the two lane road

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

sgroadaccidents - hold a wake by the roadside and taking up a full lane of the two lane road

1694329117_WhatsAppImage2020-11-05at2_23_45PM.thumb.jpeg.292c28421744500cff5a9fa8afc6bd32.jpeg

3nov2020
lentor loop

member of public question the approval of the permit to hold a wake by the roadside and taking up a full lane of the two lane road

quoted
According to the National Environment Agency (NEA), if a bereaved family intends to hold a wake in a landed property and needs to use part of the road outside the house, a permit from the Traffic Police is required. The funeral director responsible for the wake can handle the applications with the relevant authorities.

On Oct 25, I came across a wake along Lentor Loop towards the direction of Lentor Road. This wake was located neither within the premises of a property nor on a road linked to a unit.

The wake took up almost a full lane of the main road. It was puzzling to see a wake occupying a main thoroughfare used by residents of Lentor Crescent, Lentor Vale, Lentor Street and Lentor Place.

SMRT bus service 825 also plies along this road every 10 to 20 minutes. It should be clear to the authorities that a wake that takes up one full lane of the main road on Lentor Loop is inappropriate and constitutes a safety hazard to road users.

Could the Traffic Police and the relevant authorities provide the rationale and reasons for granting the application to hold a wake on Lentor Loop?

This would help Singaporeans better understand the government policy on the matter and the requirements for holding a wake within a private estate, as well as how any inconvenience and disamenities to the residents and road users will be minimised.

As a small and densely populated city state, there will always be competing requirements for space to meet Singapore’s various development needs.

Thus, it is paramount that NEA and the relevant authorities can expedite the upcoming development of four funeral parlour sites.

The Government said last year this will be done over the next decade.

I hope that the authorities can complete and launch the four new funeral parlours within the next five years instead.

https://www.todayonline.com/voices/whats-rule-holding-funeral-wakes-roads-private-estates

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

I think pple see this usually just diam diam. but from safety point of view, kinda dangerous. Usually most landed will just tent up their front porch/yard then park their cars elsewhere or along the road.

• Praise 6

i  go to wake at condo b4.

they do it at the nearest hdb blk across the street

its actually a good 10 - 15 min walk away.

but it make much more sense . 

• Praise 4

Twincharged

That use the bad part about private property... Impossible to have gatherings without inconveniencing the neighbours. 

private property owners shud hold wake at funeral parlour instead... like what my cousin-in-law did. Easier for the visitors also. 

• Praise 7

6 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I think pple see this usually just diam diam. but from safety point of view, kinda dangerous. Usually most landed will just tent up their front porch/yard then park their cars elsewhere or along the road.

i agree. and especially when it is set up at a bend. less visibility too.

• Praise 5

IMHO.
I feel that if is ok for a few days but they need to get road marshals to direct traffic and put up the relevant road signage. 

• Praise 1

In the first place how come authority approved funeral wake to be held on a public road? On the other hand, we have to be empathy for such case also. So have to find the most appropriate location to hold the wake for people staying in landed. I think this is not the first time people staying landed to hold a wake, so where do they go usually?

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

i agree. and especially when it is set up at a bend. less visibility too.

If the bend was the other way, I'd agree but yes, if buses ply that route then marshals should be around at least at busy periods of the day. If that cannot be predicted, then all day.

Couple of times in JB is ultimate, in private estate, whole width of road tentage, dunno wedding or funeral I cannot differentiate. Gotta detour until lao pasar. 

• Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Phluvcat said:

Couple of times in JB is ultimate, in private estate, whole width of road tentage, dunno wedding or funeral I cannot differentiate. Gotta detour until lao pasar. 

That’s beauty of staying Msia.

No one will complain. It’s part of give and take

• Praise 5

49 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

That’s beauty of staying Msia.

No one will complain. It’s part of give and take

Agree, that's what I observed since young. Malaysians are generally more tolerant for such cases.

• Praise 2

Quite common in private estates. Usually in the evening can even take up both lanes! I see will just siam and take another route. 

It's literally once in a lifetime event, so just live and let live. /die? 

Edited by Volvobrick
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1