Which COE car should I buy?

keechiu

Internal Moderator
11 hours ago, keechiu said:

hi all. I'm looking to buy a COE car. my budget is $40 to $45. I don't mind getting a car with a few years COE left and then renew it for another 5 or 10 years depending on the durability of the car etc. I was hoping to get advice as to which car I should purchase and what should I be wary of. If you were me, which of these 5 cars would you consider buying. If you have a preference out of these 5 cars I've listed below, please also state what changes I need to do to the car and the rough pricing for them at the workshop. If you feel that there is another COE car either Audi, BMW or Lexus on sgcarmart that I should look at instead, please provide the link. I am open to suggestions. Thank you all. 

1) Audi A4 2.0A TFSI (COE till 10/2024)

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=914799

2) Audi A3 Sedan 1.4A TFSI Ambiente

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=933358

3) Lexus IS250

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=940232&DL=1000

4) BMW 3 Series 320i (COE till 12/2023)

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=936256&DL=2349

5) BMW 5 Series 523i XL (COE till 10/2022) @$29,999

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=942128&DL=3804

@RogerNg_185295 @Victor68 @MarkHotchner @Qaz20 @bearbearbear @No_worries @Hamburger @Blueray @Samlimlp @Rickster @CloudWan @Passion @M3ngl4ng @inlinesix @Bjory @Fatfatpanda @littlecar @kobayashiGT

I would rather get a Mercedes. The realiability is much better than the bimmers and audi.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=937928&DL=1000

It may look dated inside, but I think the exterior is a classic.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I don't have any experience nor done any research about premium brand COE cars.

However, my brother is driving a 11 yr old C200 and it's apparently quite reliable, no major problems (eg. engine, gearbox, suspension, ECU etc) other than wear and tear. 

Seen lots of COE C-class (vs audis, BMWs or Volvos) on local roads, so I guess, to a certain extent, indicate a car that is built to last.

• Praise 4

6 hours ago, awhtc said:

The reason why these previous luxury cars have similar depreciation as Toyota and Honda cars are because they cost a lot to maintain and repair as they age.  Once the electronics break, you are in a big trouble.

From personal experience?

7 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

I would rather get a Mercedes. The realiability is much better than the bimmers and audi.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=937928&DL=1000

It may look dated inside, but I think the exterior is a classic.

For COE cars of that vintage, I think all of them are for Roberts, and the price of the 3 series, is a mere ok.

The A3 at that age has the dsg which is worrying. But of all choices here, it is the most decent.

That Merc is nice but old. Nevertheless, its a good choice if a the seller is fine letting it go at 2k less.

Would you consider a Camry? (TS)

Edited by Brass

If u want a COE car with no headache then go for COE Toyota Altis or Wish. Those are nearly indestructible 😂

Edited by Ceecookie
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

Lol am i the only one who maybe assuming that this is not with 3 zeroes behind ?

20 hours ago

hi all. I'm looking to buy a COE car. my budget is $40 to $45.

• Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Rickster said:

I don't have any experience nor done any research about premium brand COE cars.

However, my brother is driving a 11 yr old C200 and it's apparently quite reliable, no major problems (eg. engine, gearbox, suspension, ECU etc) other than wear and tear. 

Seen lots of COE C-class (vs audis, BMWs or Volvos) on local roads, so I guess, to a certain extent, indicate a car that is built to last.

the 7 geartronic ones is less problematic. the 5 speed still have electrical gitches as well as gearbox issue and ECU failure

Edited by Sdf4786k

I suggest TS should set and use an annual ownership costs (Depre + RoadTax + Expected Repair/Maintenance + Expected FC) instead of saying the budget is $40k-$45k. The choice is too wide - from a run-of-the-mill Camry to a future classic like a 30-year old MB 230CE.

Say TS needs a COE spacious premium saloon, my choice would be a MB W212 E200 or E250. At about $7-8k depre, its safe, solid, well-made and relatively reliable. And using the 3-pointed star as a gunsight as you drive down the road...its very satisfying 😁

If it doesnt have to be a COE car, I would advise TS not to go there as a 1st time car owner. Buy a 5-7 year old Mazda 6 or similar large Jap/Korean car and take it from there. Speak with your car owning friends and continue to do research online and visit enough used car dealers to gain experience.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 10

If you die-die have to pick from the list of 5 cars you shortlisted, I would go for the Audi A3:

- It's only got 1 prior owner

When buying used cars, you do not want a "village bicycle/whore" car (i.e. > 1 owner) that's been driven and abused by every guy out there before it lands into your hands.
Buying a used car with a high number of prior owners also usually indicates a potential problem with the car (that's why the prior owner had to let go of the car).
It's worse if the car has been a PHV before (abused with excessively high mileage and very little care for maintenance)

But, aside from the above, if you want to get a COE car (> 10 years) - it's not as easy/simple as getting a PARF car - there are a ton of other things to watch out for in terms of worn parts that needs to be replaced within the first 1-2 months of taking over the car.

For a Japanese car, these costs could easily come up to $2-4k within the first 2 months.
For a conti car, it could go well into the 5-digit range.

If you're prepared to fork out all this extra money for maintenance of wear-and-tear parts, then go for it.

• Praise 4

6 hours ago, inlinesix said:

From personal experience?

You can just check out SgCarMart on the depreciation of a Japanese COE car e.g. Honda Jazz versus a continental COE car e.g. BMW 3-series.  There are quite a lot of listings with $6k+ depreciation each.  However, note that the BMW 3 series was probably nearly 3x the price of the Honda Jazz when new.  Cars are a mode of point A to B transport for me only, and I only trust Toyota and Honda rather than BMW, Audi and Mercedes.

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, Ceecookie said:

If u want a COE car with no headache then go for COE Toyota Altis or Wish. Those are nearly indestructible 😂

Honda Civic and Honda Stream too.

39 minutes ago, awhtc said:

You can just check out SgCarMart on the depreciation of a Japanese COE car e.g. Honda Jazz versus a continental COE car e.g. BMW 3-series.  There are quite a lot of listings with $6k+ depreciation each.  However, note that the BMW 3 series was probably nearly 3x the price of the Honda Jazz when new.  Cars are a mode of point A to B transport for me only, and I only trust Toyota and Honda rather than BMW, Audi and Mercedes.

It could be these 3 series had been abused by previous owner.

16 hours ago, Ceecookie said:

I always say those cars are so simple and basic that there is nothing to breakdown. 

↡ Advertisement