Which COE car should I buy?

keechiu

10 hours ago, Confusedboi said:

hi thought i will chip in as im currently driving COE honda civic 2009 model FD2A( 2 litre model)

Got it last year just before Xmas, its COE was renewed by 5 years by previous owner earlier and when i bought the car left only 4 years 6 months plus max till scrap date ( expires june 2024) 

It was a one owner car (verified by LTA records), i sent car for inspection and no major problems came up thankfully.

Downside is high depreciation for this car(8K plus per year), dealer asking almost 40K for this model, i traded in my  2010 old expiring ford focus 1.6 at scrap value ( existing COE was expiring in 2 weeks plus) so managed to offset price by 8k. Otherwise i would not consider this model at all. Forfeited parf value was 13.8k, so like what the senior forum members mentioned, the dealers jacked up the price

One thing i will point out for civics of this generation be it 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0, fuel consumption is not one of the cars strong points at all

You will be hard pressed to get more than 10-11km per litre for 1.6 or 1.8 models ( from what i read online)

Also take note Civics of this generation will most likely have roof lining that drops and needs to be touched up, the car tends to vibrate on and off a lot due to the aircon compressor

The vios and the altis should potentially have slightly better fuel consumption than the civic I believe, for honda the honda city should have better fuel consumption than civic 

Roof linings  peeling off is more common among the european makes, but that does not mean japanese makes will not get it  ,especially those that are parked under hot sun frequently. The liming replacement just cost about $300 to $350 there about, so i dont view this as a major problem.

I dont know if the vibration problem could have   caused by engine mount? Or you may have checked that out already.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 4

11 hours ago, Confusedboi said:

hi thought i will chip in as im currently driving COE honda civic 2009 model FD2A( 2 litre model)

Got it last year just before Xmas, its COE was renewed by 5 years by previous owner earlier and when i bought the car left only 4 years 6 months plus max till scrap date ( expires june 2024) 

It was a one owner car (verified by LTA records), i sent car for inspection and no major problems came up thankfully.

Downside is high depreciation for this car(8K plus per year), dealer asking almost 40K for this model, i traded in my  2010 old expiring ford focus 1.6 at scrap value ( existing COE was expiring in 2 weeks plus) so managed to offset price by 8k. Otherwise i would not consider this model at all. Forfeited parf value was 13.8k, so like what the senior forum members mentioned, the dealers jacked up the price

One thing i will point out for civics of this generation be it 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0, fuel consumption is not one of the cars strong points at all

You will be hard pressed to get more than 10-11km per litre for 1.6 or 1.8 models ( from what i read online)

Also take note Civics of this generation will most likely have roof lining that drops and needs to be touched up, the car tends to vibrate on and off a lot due to the aircon compressor

The vios and the altis should potentially have slightly better fuel consumption than the civic I believe, for honda the honda city should have better fuel consumption than civic 

Let me share my situation as well . I bought both the Altis and E200 at about 8 years old each. My intention was to drive them for 2 years before deciding to renew COE or not.  When COE was on the uptrend last May, i went to renew COE of both cars in one go.  Both cars have no major problems so far other than minor wear and tear after 1.5year of  COE renewal .  The reason why Altis and E200 is because both are common among COE cars, and are fairly reliable.  Taking into consideration of both  COE and PARF,  I wrote off  about $101k all in all for two cars. If I will to buy a new E200 and a new Altis, that would set me back by $340 minimally. ok, granted that new cars have new smell, shining paintwork and smooth engine, but i am more than happy to trade off for $200k saving after deducting the PARF of both new cars 10 years down the road. Common sense tells me I will not have to spend 200K for repair over 10 years, that is a massive $20k per year of repair provision.  I renewed both 10 years does not necessarily i will own them for 10 years , I may choose to scrap them 6 or 7 years down the road if the cars are too problematic but that is a worst case scenario. Even so, I wont lose so much as compare to buying two new cars.  

• Praise 14

14 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Roof linings  peeling off is more common among the european makes, but that does not mean japanese makes will not get it  ,especially those that are parked under hot sun frequently. The liming replacement just cost about $300 to $350 there about, so i dont view this as a major problem.

I dont know if the vibration problem could have   caused by engine mount? Or you may have checked that out already.

hm the vibration is on and off, sometimes have sometimes dont have.  Engine mounts are fine at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Confusedboi said:

hm the vibration is on and off, sometimes have sometimes dont have.  Engine mounts are fine at the moment. 

Maybe when aircon compressor is engaged, or when D is engaged, engine got to work harder and causing the vibrations.  If very mild vibrations that's normal for most cars. 

hi all. Appreciate all the replies. Very informative and insightful. I went down to GV Credit located in Telok Kurau. They deal with renewed COE cars. I saw several Vios, about 4 Kia Cerato Fortes in white, red, light brown and purple and a few Wish. They're an integrated system with in-house financing, workshop, showroom all at the same place and just a few walking steps away. What I like about them is that they offer 2 years warranty on their gearbox and engine. There's a convenience store opposite  the road on the same stretch so you can get your cold drinks etc from there. 

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/listing.php?DL=1194

https://www.facebook.com/GVCREDITPTELTD/

I was assisted by a very friendly person. Spoke with him about close to 90 minutes. Based on my requirement and my budget, I was advised not to get a Civic 1.6 or Mitsubishi Lancer EX. Was asked to consider a Kia Cerato Forte instead. I was slightly adamant about getting a CIvic 1.6 and he respected my stance. He said he will contact me if he does bring in a Civic (may cost close to 40k but to be determined) but subject to boss's approval because they will have to background check on the car, check the actual unit and do up the car in order to be able to justify the 2 year warranty on their cars. Even though he knew my budget was limited, he asked if I wanted to look at their BMWs on 10 year COE since they've just started dabbling in continental cars as well. I may go back again to have a chat with him. 

He gave me a lot of good advice such as asking to see the log card, sending for inspection etc. 

GV Credit - Keep in View

Remaining to visit

Car Quotz

Carway

Car Fleet Auto/Mugiwara Auto

Prem Roy Motoring

V.I.P Auto Nation

• Praise 3

Glad to find that you found a dealer that you are comfortable with - hope you get the car that you want.

Take the engine and gearbox warranty with a pinch of salt - the dealer I gotten my COE car from also made a bold claim to give "1 year warranty" on it - but take note that things like worn valve cover gasket (leading to loss of engine oil gradually) - is not covered under such a clause. I gave up in the end with my dealer and went to my own workshop for such repairs, because it always starts and ends the same with the dealer:

Me: Boss, something wrong with the car engine... this thing... blah blah.
Dealer: Sorry - this one not covered. But don't worry! I know the right workshop to fix it! Just go over to XXX - tell them I sent you! They give you special price! Don't worry!
Me: Err... OK...

In fact, I cannot even think of *any* scenario where the dealer will properly honour any "warranty" on the engine/gearbox, since the problems a COE car will face, it always wear-and-tear related.

• Praise 3

On 11/12/2020 at 11:27 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

My question still remains: why a COE car? Even with a budget constraint? Why not a 5 year old car?

COE-renewed cars may have a new leash of statutory life, but it doesn't mean that the car ITSELF has a new leash of life. Dont mix the 2 up. It may well be neglected in the 8th-10th year and on the verge of expensive repairs and maintenance. Given your lack of car experience, and given the shark-like nature of the used car trade, you may end up with a dud, unless you bring along a really knowledgeable friend.

Buying a newer car is safer. 5-6 year old Accent, Attrage, Note, Cerato, Elantra, Lancer etc are all within your budget. Stay away from ex-PHV cars though. 

My 2 cents worth. 

4 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Don't understand why TS insist bying a COE.

A fast search, 2015 City with slightly less than 5 years at around $45k. With some bargain should able to reduce a bit more.

Definitely better than those COE car.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=915933&DL=3722

I thought so too and totally agree with you. Downpayment of 30% is still required and loan tenure should be the same right?

COE cars attract higher road tax, higher loan interest rates and carry more risk of higher maintenance costs. Don't know whether still need to pay "admin fee" or "football money" to dealer or not.

@keechiu - also ensure your loan is under MAS Rule 78 and not some in-house loan.

• Praise 2

3 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I thought so too and totally agree with you. Downpayment of 30% is still required and loan tenure should be the same right?

COE cars attract higher road tax, higher loan interest rates and carry more risk of higher maintenance costs. Don't know whether still need to pay "admin fee" or "football money" to dealer or not.

@keechiu - also ensure your loan is under MAS Rule 78 and not some in-house loan.

GV I think is a credit company, what do you think. 

Most likely TS had been brain wash as a first timer.

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah, it seems with the crazy depreciation of 5 or 10year old coe cars these days, it makes more sense to get a 4-5year old. Yes you pay a bit more but likely more reliable. 
no doubt that you get a longer use of the car with a 10year coe. 

Edited by Mkl22

3 hours ago, keechiu said:

hi all. Appreciate all the replies. Very informative and insightful. I went down to GV Credit located in Telok Kurau. They deal with renewed COE cars. I saw several Vios, about 4 Kia Cerato Fortes in white, red, light brown and purple and a few Wish. They're an integrated system with in-house financing, workshop, showroom all at the same place and just a few walking steps away. What I like about them is that they offer 2 years warranty on their gearbox and engine. There's a convenience store opposite  the road on the same stretch so you can get your cold drinks etc from there. 

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/listing.php?DL=1194

https://www.facebook.com/GVCREDITPTELTD/

I was assisted by a very friendly person. Spoke with him about close to 90 minutes. Based on my requirement and my budget, I was advised not to get a Civic 1.6 or Mitsubishi Lancer EX. Was asked to consider a Kia Cerato Forte instead. I was slightly adamant about getting a CIvic 1.6 and he respected my stance. He said he will contact me if he does bring in a Civic (may cost close to 40k but to be determined) but subject to boss's approval because they will have to background check on the car, check the actual unit and do up the car in order to be able to justify the 2 year warranty on their cars. Even though he knew my budget was limited, he asked if I wanted to look at their BMWs on 10 year COE since they've just started dabbling in continental cars as well. I may go back again to have a chat with him. 

He gave me a lot of good advice such as asking to see the log card, sending for inspection etc. 

GV Credit - Keep in View

Remaining to visit

Car Quotz

Carway

Car Fleet Auto/Mugiwara Auto

Prem Roy Motoring

V.I.P Auto Nation

Even though I’m a COE civic owner myself I will dissuade you from getting civic especially 1.6 version if you are new first time car buyer for 2 main reasons.

First relatively poor Fuel consumption for this class of vehicle made worst by the fact civic body is meant for 1.8 or 2.0. 2nd reason is car dealers always seem to charge higher price for Honda cars compared to other Japanese cars in the same class eg Mitsubishi Lancer/Toyota altis  meaning higher depreciation costs.

And please don’t consider COE bmws at all to save your wallet for the time being unless you have lots of spare cash set aside for potential repairs. Your safest choice is Toyota Vios/altis. The Kia cerato forte should be fine too.. 

Last thing if taking loan ,try not to take in house loans whereby interest rates are confirmed higher than bank loan.

FYI COE car loans start from around 3.18% from banks, in house will be even higher.

Edited by Confusedboi
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

pardon my wandering distrusting mind .. you think he advised you not to get a civic was really because he was worried for you/your finances or he was trying to move his 4 units of Cerato? 

• Praise 3

Most insurance companies didn't want to insure COE cars for comprehensive insurance. If touchwood the COE car total loss & its on 3rd party insurance, then really have to wish TS good luck liao.

• Praise 1

33 minutes ago, Mooose said:

pardon my wandering distrusting mind .. you think he advised you not to get a civic was really because he was worried for you/your finances or he was trying to move his 4 units of Cerato? 

Of course clear his leftover cars. Car dealers, especially those in turf city   are very cunning. Be careful .

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1