Which COE car should I buy?

keechiu

Refer to this : "The engine light came on again twice but has since not appeared"

It could be the ICU having problem. This model is 'famous' for ICU issue as it could show random failure of other issues. Should check ICU first.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

On 1/17/2021 at 7:48 AM, awhtc said:

What is missing in your story is whether the COE car has 5 or 10 year COE. 

My experience that makes my COE Vios feel new again at a budget of around $1,700 with highest impact on top.

1. A fresh coat of paint that also helps to remove minor dents: $800+

2. Repair of seats and door panels leather: $200+

3. New head unit and reverse camera: $300+

4. A smart dash front+back camera with screen: $200+

5. A new set of carpet: $50+

I spent another $4k+ over next 2 years to change of wear and tear mechanical parts (e.g. engine mountings and wheel bearings) and full servicing (e.g. spark plugs and air-con compressor oil).  For Mercedes, it should cost a lot more.  You need to save up for these additional expensive repairs as ageing parts eventually will need replacement.

But a in car cam without screen cost 500-600 instead. 

• Haha! 1

23 minutes ago, westwest1 said:

Mine is 70mai A800 front + back + hardwire (bought during initial offer) with installation is about $250.

• Praise 1

On 1/19/2021 at 9:18 AM, Naimed said:

OK, good that you went to your own workshop for checks after the repairs is done by dealer's workshop.

The rear absorber stopper and dust cover is not really critical - not sure how much they quoted you on parts and labour but you can have those changed out together when you are replacing your shocks in future as mentioned by a bro here - to save on labour cost. 

For engine oil, make sure they use MB Approved oils. Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is 229.5 and you need around 6L. One WS is offering Motul X-clean 5w40 6L (229.51) with original MB oil filter for $168 (1 service) or $138 (if you buy 5 services). Obligated to tell you that Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is selling for around $30/4L at Giant sometimes. 

total works Elite quoted me was $1500 for the following inclusive of labour

timing cover gasket

- inter cooler hose

- transmission oil, oil sump and gasket

- rear absorber stopper and dust cover

- engine oil dipstick

- car testing and checking

- car interior disinfection and vacuum service.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:38 AM, Car_byte said:

Refer to this : "The engine light came on again twice but has since not appeared"

It could be the ICU having problem. This model is 'famous' for ICU issue as it could show random failure of other issues. Should check ICU first.

the car is at Elite workshop for the replacement works. the other day when I left the car at their workshop, I did inform the technician to specifically check this problem. I'll text the admin in the morning later to ask the technician if he did check the ICU. 

On 1/19/2021 at 10:23 AM, westwest1 said:

I paid $350 for the iroad x5 front and back camera with one year warranty. It doesn't have a screen and it bothers me cos I don't know if and when it's actually recording. A couple of times the camera prompted to insert a memory card but there's already one inside. I suggest getting cameras with screens. At least we know if its indeed recording or not. 

5 hours ago, keechiu said:

timing cover gasket

- inter cooler hose

- engine oil dipstick

the car is at Elite workshop for the replacement works. the other day when I left the car at their workshop, I did inform the technician to specifically check this problem. I'll text the admin in the morning later to ask the technician if he did check the ICU. 

I paid $350 for the iroad x5 front and back camera with one year warranty. It doesn't have a screen and it bothers me cos I don't know if and when it's actually recording. A couple of times the camera prompted to insert a memory card but there's already one inside. I suggest getting cameras with screens. At least we know if its indeed recording or not. 

I also belong those old school type, prefer cam with screen.. Although it's more bulky but I can access to menu or playback instantly. 

• Praise 1

On 1/19/2021 at 9:38 AM, Car_byte said:

The engine is also famous for chewing up cam sprockets. Unless this only affects the kompressor models and not the turbo ones. 

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

The engine is also famous for chewing up cam sprockets. Unless this only affects the kompressor models and not the turbo ones. 

is there no after market parts that can fixed this ?

• Praise 1

My  opinion is that COE Honda Civic 1.6/1.8 would probably have lower maintenance cost upfront and in the long run than W204 c class.  cannot match Mercedes in Prestige, comfort and refinement though.. different class of cars altogether.. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Sdf4786k said:

is there no after market parts that can fixed this ?

I think Mercedes fixed it with updated cam sprockets

• Praise 1

16 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Just to recap. After the dealer's workshop changed the valve compressor for me when the engine light came on the first time, less than an hour after I collected the car from the dealer, the engine light came on recently. It happened twice within a few days. What usually happens is that when the engine light comes on, the ESP light also comes on and if I were to drive the car, the speed is automatically capped at 20km/h. So I will turn off the engine, wait for 15 mins and then restart the engine and the engine light disappears.

So I informed the dealer of the recent reappearance of the engine light and he asked me to bring to his workshop at Defu Lane. They checked and said that the fault code is 'the throttle valve actuator does not reach the specified position' and that I will need to change the throttle body which they put it down as wear and tear at $500 inclusive of labour. I got a second opinion from Elite Car Ventures and they advised me to change the manifold throttle body and supercharger throttle body at $1580 inclusive of labour. I then got a third opinion from Kee Yong who was recommended to me by someone from the SG Merc FB group who apparently had the same problem. Kee Yong said to replace the Bosch throttle body for $620 with installation. I have yet to do anything about it. If the engine light comes on again, I will have to bring it back to Elite for them to diagnose the fault code.

Intermittent faults are very difficult to diagnose.  It could be as basic as poor soldering in the circuit board of a component from thermal expansion during driving, which requires a change.

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, keechiu said:

Just to recap. After the dealer's workshop changed the valve compressor for me when the engine light came on the first time, less than an hour after I collected the car from the dealer, the engine light came on recently. It happened twice within a few days. What usually happens is that when the engine light comes on, the ESP light also comes on and if I were to drive the car, the speed is automatically capped at 20km/h. So I will turn off the engine, wait for 15 mins and then restart the engine and the engine light disappears.

So I informed the dealer of the recent reappearance of the engine light and he asked me to bring to his workshop at Defu Lane. They checked and said that the fault code is 'the throttle valve actuator does not reach the specified position' and that I will need to change the throttle body which they put it down as wear and tear at $500 inclusive of labour. I got a second opinion from Elite Car Ventures and they advised me to change the manifold throttle body and supercharger throttle body at $1580 inclusive of labour. I then got a third opinion from Kee Yong who was recommended to me by someone from the SG Merc FB group who apparently had the same problem. Kee Yong said to replace the Bosch throttle body for $620 with installation. I have yet to do anything about it. If the engine light comes on again, I will have to bring it back to Elite for them to diagnose the fault code.

re-appearing of engine warning, sound familiar. Also symptom same and also did the same thing.

Had a similar situation and fault then was "engine starter", something like this, cannot recall exact fault.
back then mechanic also suspect ICU but wasn't sure.
so change ICU was ~ 1xxx or change starter ~ 3xx, choice was offered.

Took (wrong) gamble and change starter.

weeks/months later, same , light re-appear and this time was another fault. Mechanic then say surely ICU as ICU will show first likely fault.
bit bullet, change ICU and thereafter , all "swee swee" :-)

just sharing.

• Praise 1

On 1/21/2021 at 1:05 AM, keechiu said:

timing cover gasket

- inter cooler hose

- engine oil dipstick

Bro, my opinion is $1500 is slightly high for the items listed. 

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, awhtc said:

Intermittent faults are very difficult to diagnose.  It could be as basic as poor soldering in the circuit board of a component from thermal expansion during driving, which requires a change.

Yeah, check carousel and you will find many offering Mercedes ecu and ecu repairs. If no demand why so many offering. I have been there too. 

• Praise 1

13 hours ago, keechiu said:

Had this problem on my old merc before. changed throttle body and the problem came back off and on. Especially when the bonnet was slammed shut.  Finally figured out it myself that the wire and connection to the throttle body that was not so good. So every time the bonnet was shut it sort of bumped it. Bought an extension wire and reconnected and was fine after that. 
so it the end it might have been an ok throttle body. 
not too sure about the kompressor throttle body. My kompressor model didn’t have one. Would suggest to change only throttle body and see how it goes. 

Edited by Mkl22

13 hours ago, keechiu said:

ESP light comes up could be just sensors. If they clear it and it goes away, good. If it comes back again, then perhaps something to do with the ABS system or pump. Can repair/refurbish for $600-700.

Since you just got the car fixed at Elite, they should solve the throttle valve actuator problem for you. Also, if this car has been serviced at Elite all along, the codes should have popped up during previous services and not until you bought it. This throttle valve actuator issue doesnt seem to be a common fault for W204 kompressors. 

• Praise 1

Why are continental cars more erratic with the frequent appearance of warning lights on the dash with age, as compared to Jap, Korean, Malaysian cars?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1